DIN SYNC / Sync24 on MIDIBOX??

creekree

hi,

there are small midi to dinsync circuits out there on the net; if your willing to loose the second midoutport you can get with the ltc-module you can insert it right there (its really small :), build it on rasterplate)

i think this is the best way

cheers,  marcel

Hi,

it's very simple to implement this, but last time I asked in the forum for the specs, I havn't got a reply.

So, maybe this time I've more luck?

What is the required pulse width for a DIN-Sync signal?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thank you, Marcel!

This sounds easy. For a common MIOS based application this means that in USER_MIDI_NotifyTx a check for MIDI clock (F8) has to be added (if it doesn't already exist). On an incoming MIDI clock, MIOS_DOUT_Set1 has to be called with the pin number which is used as sync output. Optionally a pre-divider can be added.

In USER_SR_Service_Finish this pin has to be cleared (MIOS_DOUT_Set0) - and thats all.

This will generate a pulse of 1 mS, with a jitter of +/- 0.5 mS. I think that such a jitter is acceptable, because it is only 1% at 140 BPM

(I will integrate this feature into the next MBSEQ release)

If less jitter is required, a free IO pin has to be used (but free IOs are rare). This IO pin can be set immediately once a F8 event has been received (zero jitter!), and it can be cleared by a timer. However, this requires some more programming effort, and the code will look different depending on the application where it is integrated (because of different pin usage and timer resources)

For a standalone solution I would prefer Colin's circuit, it's the cheapest

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 months later...

Hiya,

Was this taken any further? I own several roland x0x instruments, and it would be great to have one or more sync outputs. What is involved in adding this? Can you add them if you already have and use the LTC module for the second midi out or do you have to choose between them or could it be selected by the software application? I know that building an external unit can be done, but adding them to the sequencer would be a fantastic compliment to its already impressive range of features!

Thanks,

John