Unusual midibox controler

goule

Hi all,

I'd love to build some particular MIDI controler, that would merely look like this :

SCH.JPG

If I could, I would also like to plug a pedal controler on the box, but I don't know how to do (how about the possibiliy to plug a standard expression pedal, where to connect it on the scheme and does it need a particular routine in MIOS ?). Well having a box like this scheme would already be a great challenge !

The context is I have a master keyboard (Yamaha P60) which is really fabulous but has absolutely no controller at all, and I never saw where to buy a unit like the one above (so I have a strong motivation to accomplish this proto ;D).

Of course I know I need the core module (I've planned to buy it already mounted, with the PIC ready) and a LCD module also.

CORE MODULE & LCD : http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de/shop_englisch/index.htm

• 1x CORE_V2 - Kit without PIC
  • 1x PIC18F452
  • 1x LCD

MODULATION WHEELS & JOYSTICK : http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

wheelbox.gif

joystick.gif

Question 1 : What else do I need to buy, what are the next steps ?

Question 2 (dumb :-[) : Does anyone know where to find something to put on that really small bit of joystick so that it looks like a real joystick at the end ? Is that standard ?

Question 3 : The joystick is a 20K one, is it possible to use it in a midibox compliant project ?

Question 4 : About the modulation/bend wheels set, Doepfer says :

"Pay attention that not the full rotating angle of the potentiometer is covered but only about 40%. If the end terminals of the potentiometer are e.g. connected to GND and +5V only a voltange range 0...+2V is covered !  Especially for DIY/OEM applications one has to pay attention to the limited rotating angle."

Do any of you know how to solve this ? Does adding a resistor helps ? If yes, which value ?

Thanx very much anyone for help, & please forget my perhaps approx. english ...

Olivier

Question 2 (dumb :-[) : Does anyone know where to find something to put on that really small bit of joystick so that it looks like a real joystick at the end ? Is that standard ?

Olivier

you'll have to worry about thread pattern and thread depths buying the end from a different company, but ive seen a few ones that dont look to bad on arcade surplus sites. like the people that fix arcade machines. check into it.

goodluck

taylor

Thanx for your help. Doepfer joysticks cost 40 euros, which I consider is too expensive, especially when having to buy 2 of them  :(

Does anyone know where to buy cheap joysticks that fit into a midibox project ? (I searched the forums but didn't find any valuable post on the subject ...  ???)

Seeya

I have two standard arcade joysticks here. The common type you see are actually sort of primitive electronically. They're not pots, just a stick attached to a base that "leans" on a few momentary switches. They coincidentally are the same standard switches they use in the arcade buttons. They also have a guide piece for some that locks the movement in four directions. They normally can do eight. There are probably some arcade machines that have to use continuous controls.

-George

PS- Just remembered, I had an Apple II joystick which was fairly small and hi-tech looking, which had pots. They were pretty common and there were a few different ones through the Apple II GS and maybe even early Macs.

Thanx all for your help  :P

3 euros seems very acceptable for a joystick. I'll see if I can perhaps buy other parts & reach the 15$ limit for shipping;

And what about the modulation wheels restriction ??  :'( How is it possible to amplify the signal from 2v to 5v ? Anybody good on electronics ?

Bye people,

How is it possible to amplify the signal from 2v to 5v ? Anybody good on electronics ?

... there is nothing to amplify to 5V. It's meant, that since you don't have the full rotation of the pot (only 40%), that you don't reach the zero position (no resistance).

I don't know about it will work with midibox when you calibrate the pot.

Greets, Roger