I have a few more steps to go towards completion of my project which I call:

Chaos Matrix 1000

1) introduce myself to the MIDIBOX community

2) inquire advice from more experienced people in the forums

3) order the necessary electronic components for prototyping

4) *develop application, make adjustments to MIDIOS

4) **determine the necessary components and design a front panel layout

5) fabrication of aluminum panel and silkscreening

(*notes: I have experience with c, c++, c#/java, perl)

(**notes: I see no reason to take the time and energy to put something like

this together, just to slop it up with ugly components and giving no thought to

the quality of the enclosure. I would like for the enclosure to resemble something

that Oberheim might have produce in 1978-1984. A cross between an OB-X panel

and an Xpander panel)

At this point, I have a few questions about which HUI to base my project from

and whether if they have the required functionality I've been able to determine

at this point.

Questions:

1) Considering the number of faders, rotary encoders, momentary buttons and

switches I need to cover all the parameters for the synthesizer. I'm sure

either the MIDIBOX64 or the MIDOBOX64E would suffice as a base point, but

I'm sure there are differences between the two that would make one much

better than the other. Which HUI would you suggest I focus on?

2) Most the other applications used with the MIDIBOX64 and MIDIBOX64E are for

MIDI fader/volume control. My requirements would obviously be a lot different.

Here is a list specific functionality I would need.

-a button that would toggle between 2 values (SYSEX strings)

and a set of LEDs that indicates the state of the button

-a button that would rotate between 3 or more values (SYSEX strings)

and a set of LEDs that indicates the state of the button

-an endless rotary encoder transmitting 7 bit signed values

(for -63 to +63 parameter values)

-an endless rotary encoder transmitting 6 bit signed values

(for -31 to +31 parameter values)

-a set of buttons would need to sum up their bit values for the

same byte

-a button that would transmit a SYSEX string based on the value of another

encoder (save current patch buffer to a memory location)

-a button that would transmit a SYSEX string after waiting on user

input for another value. This may require the use of a numeric

keypad. This may also be optional.

-a button that would transmit a number of individual SYSEX strings

(patch initialization, zeroing out all the modulation matrix slots etc)

-I might also require that some knobs/buttons/switches have dual use.

the need to page different functionality for them by holding

down another button would be useful.

-I would also need to ability to adjust the update interval of the rotary encoders. When turning the encoder, I wouldn't want to send SYSEX             

data no faster than 10hz.

These are all the required functionality I can think of right now. I'm

sure there will be more to come.

3) Considering the list above, some changes to the software will be necessary.

How much of thie required functionality is allready there - only requiring

the configuration changes? How much work would it be to make the necessary

changes?

I hope I'm not asking too much. Thanks in advance for your replies.

-patrick manderson

Hey there, jackchaos,

Welcome to the Midibox forum! Sounds like you will have a very professional box by the end of your quest. What's the oberheim Matrix 1000 like? Sounds like you got it for cheap! How well did the BCR integrate (work) with it? Any good?

Sorry, not sure about which project to base your MB on, and I haven't done any meta event stuff yet.

I'm sure you'll find your answers soon  ;)

all the best, from Steve

What's the oberheim Matrix 1000 like? Sounds like you got it for cheap! How well did the BCR integrate (work) with it? Any good?

Steven

The Matrix is one of the very few fully analog synthesizers controllable with MIDI.

http://vintagesynth.com/oberheim/mat1000.shtml

The unit sounds like a dream but the sounds are only editable with a computer... no front panel editing.

I want to build a programmer for it that would resemble some of Oberheims earlier products like:

The Expander

http://vintagesynth.com/oberheim/xpander.shtml

and the OB-X

http://vintagesynth.com/oberheim/obx.shtml

The Behringer BCR2000 isn't very helpful with programming older synthesizers but it shines with virtual synths running on your PC.

I am however able to get all the editing parameters working by Manually altering the BCR's SYSEX dumps with a HEX editor.

My Challenge at this point, it determining how I want to handle specific event like I mentioned above:

• a button that would rotate between 3 or more values (SYSEX strings)
  • an endless rotary encoders transmitting 6 and 7 bit signed values with center detent at value of zero
  • a set of buttons would need to sum up their bit values for the

and others.

I'm trying to figure out what I need but I'm not sure how many of which do I need to get.

I'm putting together a parts list but I have a question.  A quote from the MIDIBox64E description says

"A common MIDIbox64E, based on the historical MIDIbox16E design (see picture above) requires 40 DINs: "

40 DINS? Does he mean 40 of these?

From SmashTV Website:

08  DOUT Kit (Full kit)

Includes PCB and all parts that mount

directly to the board. Parts List

http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/mbhp_dout.html

-The MIDIBOX64E also supports analog pots. Does that mean I'll need to buy an AIN?

http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/mbhp_AINR2.html

-How many pots can 1 AIN handle?

-For switches/buttons, Do I need to use DINs or AINs?

-I would like to use  2 and 3 way toggle switches for a couple of functions. I'm guessing this would behave exactly like a single switch except for the wiring.

Thanks in advance

Patrick Manderson

I'm putting together a parts list but I have a question.  A quote from the MIDIBox64E description says

"A common MIDIbox64E, based on the historical MIDIbox16E design (see picture above) requires 40 DINs: "

40 DINS? Does he mean 40 of these?

From SmashTV Website:

08     DOUT Kit (Full kit)

No, DIN is the opposite of DOUT ;)

Please read the DIN and DOUT pages again and you will understand what these modules are for.

And iI think this will also answer your questions about AIN (analog for pots - you won`t need it if you use only encoders).

-I would like to use  2 and 3 way toggle switches for a couple of functions. I'm guessing this would behave exactly like a single switch except for the wiring.

Just wire each switch position (don't know how to say it in english) to a different DIN input.

Raphael

"No, DIN is the opposite of DOUT"

I pasted the wrong item... sorry! The quote said "40 DINS". I'm trying to interpret what he means. I don't think he means 40 DIN modules... just 40 DIGITAL INS.

I spent some time reading more on it last nite. I think I understand. Thank you!

"-I would like to use  2 and 3 way toggle switches for a couple of functions. I'm guessing this would behave exactly like a single switch except for the wiring.

Just wire each switch position (don't know how to say it in english) to a different DIN input."

The reason I asked, because all the buttons I see on everyone's MIDIBOX photos are MOMENTARY buttons. A 2 or 3 way switch would not be MOMENTARY... right?

I'm trying to make the destinction.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would post some images of my progress like everyone else.

To recap: I'm building a control surface to an Oberheim Matrix 1000 analog synthesizer. the M1000 was build in the late 80's with complete MIDI/SYSEX control over all it's sound parameters. The synth is incredibly programmable and expressive except for the fact you can only do it with a computer. My early estimate counted over 70 knobs and 100 buttons & LEDs would be required.

My goal is to have an intuitive surface to program the synth on the lines of  an Elka Synthex panel:

synthex.jpg

And an earlier Oberheim Synthesizer:

obx2.jpg

Here is a pic of my Matrix 1000 - the subject of my project.

matrix1000.jpg

I also purchased a Behringer BCR 2000. I've been using this to test how the M1000 responds to realtime SYSEX on the patch parameters. The software that came with the BCR wasn't sufficient for the Matrix - it was designed more for virtual synth plugins and software MIDI recording, but I was able to hack the presets using a HEX editor and pretty much got it to do exactly what I want. The labelling on all the knobs account for nearly all the editing parameters available on the Matrix.

bcr2000.jpg

A also drew up a mock panel in paint shop pro to see if I could fit everything I needed in a 19x10 rackmount panel. I found out I couldn't.  My finished version will have to be a tabletop formfactor.

chaosmatrix.jpg

The 1st thing I did was order a few parts from SmashTV. Soldering all the bits together was really fun.

smashparts1.jpg

core.jpg

Before  I bought a bunch of knobs and switches, I wanted to first make sure I was actually capable of taking on something like this. So, what I did was create a small prototype that would allow me to see how all the electronics connected together and learn a little about MIOS/MB64 assembly.

I used an inexpensive plastic container to house the electronics and front panel because it was so cheap and easy to cut holes for the various parts.

Later I was able to change MB64 code enough to have each of my knobs and switches send the type of SYSEX messages I would need for my project to work.

Once I was able to print my own messages on the LCD panel, I knew I could then proceed to the next step.

blinky2.jpg

cb006.jpg

blinky3.jpg

blinky4.jpg

blinky.jpg

lcd1.jpg

The next step was to build a prototype containing all the surface controls and test out how I wanted to organize them for each of the synth parameters. There are over 99 individual parameters. I've begun creating a number of panels boards using the large panel board available from SmashTV.

cb001.jpg

cb003.jpg

cb004.jpg

cb005.jpg

cb007.jpg

cb010.jpg

cb012.jpg

I have a large plastic storage bin that I'm going to use as a front panel for this protoype. I've actually have some components cut for it and mounted but I havn't got a photo of it right now.

• 3 weeks later...

This project sounds like fun.. .i tend to collect analog synths.. usually get them in a poor state of repair for cheap & sort them out...

I've always wanted an oberheim, however ones with decent editability, have either proven too expensive or rare to find. At that time i had not heard of midibox.. However in retrospect the matrix 1000 would become anexcellent bit of kit with a real control surface to work with... I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

If i end up with one sooner, rather than later... i might be able to help develop this... In anycase i'll probably build this project at sometime :) ...still got other projects to finish first ..so ibest get that done with first in anycase...

Good luck ! ...it's a great application of mios ! :)

• 1 month later...

Another thing you may or may not know about...

Found out that oberheim implimented a firmware mode to allow two matrix 1000's to be chained togeather to make a 12 voice monster !

(thus a solution which is probably comparable to the matrix 12 voice)

...another neat function of this mode, is that the oscllators between the two synths can be gradually detuned relative to eachother for some extra 'fatness' :)

...needless to say, i will now -definately- be picking up two of these when the opportunity & money conencides :)

...and of course if anyone has 1 or 2 of these which they are looking to sell (not too likely i guess)

..maybe we can talk ...just send me a msg.

Additional:

some notes about maintanance with the matrix 1000; aparantly there are occaisionally some occaisional oxidisation problems with the curtis filter chips in this unit...

The ObMx-1000 uses a socketed Curtis CEM 3396 waveshaper/filter chip, which is prone to failure. When I bought my used Matrix 1000, one chip of the voice chips was bad; on some patches when a voice was assigned to one particular chip, it would be very quiet or silent. A built-in voice test mode can help identify the faulty chip. I sent the unit back for servicing and got it back with the problem mostly fixed-- well enough that I was satisified, but it has crept back into my synth as of late...

When I recently looked at the socketed CEM chips on my Matrix 1000, I noticed a great deal of oxidization. There are reports elsewhere on that net that Oberheim CEM 3396 sockets are made from a material that is prone to oxidization problems. Removing and re-seating the chips may provide a quick fix to oxidization-related problems by scratching the surface coating of oxidized metal off of the contacts. Be sure to re-run the calibration test after any and all maniupulations of the voice chips.

If, after you run the built-in calibration test, you still have a voice chip that fails, you may need a replacement CEM chip. Fortunately, these chips are still available for relatively little (US$15/ea), but I wonder how long this situation can last...

http://planet0.planet-zero.org/wiki/index.php/ObMx

Additional 2: (manuals & programming guide)

the below link has some useful documentation for the matrix 1000:

http://www.overacker.com/oberheim.htm

Manual:

http://www.overacker.com/synth/ob6/obm1000.pdf

Programming Guide:

http://www.overacker.com/synth/ob6/Matrix%206R%20programming%20guide.zip

• 1 month later...

Well..

just bought myself one of these matrix 1000 synths :)

i have to say... it's a 'luddy nice sounding bit of analog.. presets alone are sounding pretty good.

if anyone wants a bargain polyphonic analog synthsiser which is capable of producing almost every sound under the (analog) sun.. these are probably the ones to go for :)

{yes i think they are somewhat undervalued at £150-200 here)

indeed.. maybe i should keep my mouth shut (and buy every one i can get my hands on - anticipating a huge price rise; dispite how many of them are in circulation (just not for sale generally ;))

ive somewhat tediously listened through every single patch it has built in ...over several days on and off ...hehe ....my ..it's bliss ..and im finally getting an idea as to what 'that oberheim sound is'...

unfortunately one of the curtis filter chips went up the wall... as they tend to (buy afew spares).. so that'll be replaced shortly. also volume pot crackled (nothing a little oil couldnt fix ! ;)

...ahh yes, ambient works ..got both of those. as for people like orbital. well, practically everything they did had oberheim splattered all over the show. (whereas two lone swordsmen are 'waldorf' junkies - yup another bit of synth history i want :)

additional note:

Iv'e been thinking through what to do about having a stand alone synth editor box. As it stands; i will need to edit the oberheim, my casio cz-1000, the roland jd990, eventually a waldorf, ..and maybe some other stuff down the line.

Some food for thought for other people; have concluded im just not patient enough to build a dedicated interface for every box that comes along (tho respect to those who do). and will probably build a midibox 64 with a full compliment of controls. Each memory bank in this box will be customised to each synth (multiple 'pages' for complex synths) ..then to clarify what the control surface does in each instance; will build into a little flip open 'suitcase' with a flip-book built into the lid.. each page links to a patch number & has a diagram clearly outlining what the controls do & what the synth topology is..

saves making a new midibox controller everytime a new synth comes along ;)

...tho yet again; respect to those who are patient enough to go all out; as contained within this thread :)