Ribbon controller...

Guest Perka

Rippon controllers can be connected like common pots and don't require special electronic parts; here an example:

rippon_ctrl_circuit.jpg

This controller is from an AN1x synthesizer (it can be ordered as replacement part from Yamaha). With no pressure it has a very high impedance, thats the reason why a 10k pull-down is connected between the output wire and ground in order to prevent floating values. With preasure the resistance varies from 0k to 13k from the left to the right side.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Just curious, is it also possible to use pc touchpads, since you can easily get them from gutted laptops(ebay or  try a local computer store-I just asked & got one for free).

And I´d like to know the price of the Yamaha ribbon controller?

Sascha

Just curious, is it also possible to use pc touchpads, since you can easily get them from gutted laptops(ebay or  try a local computer store-I just asked & got one for free).

I don't want to open my laptop just to test this ;-) but since touchpads are based on the same technology, it should work on the same way.

And I´d like to know the price of the Yamaha ribbon controller?

I'm not sure, but my experiences with the Yamaha service center are very good. Some years before I wanted to replace a damaged key; after I phoned with the german agency, I got a replacement in between 2 days for about 10 DM (= 5 EUR) (inclusive shipping!)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hi,

use the variable capacitances with a simple oscillator (using a gate from a 74hc00 for example) then have the resulting square wave feed a Frequency to voltage chip such as LM2907 (around $2 or less) . Set up the chip to provide 0 to 5V output range for the Ain. (Use series resistor and 5V1 zener to protect Ain against higher voltages!)

I didn't find any mechanical schematic on these touchpad  :'( ... I understood that's a grid ... but i dunno the resolution ... If there's is 256 values for X and 256 for Y... We cannot use a LM2907 for each line ... The PCB will be 1 m² !!!  :D

If the grid is a lower resolution may we can do it ...

But .. we have to control also the "Z" parameter : the pressure...

I think, "say me if i'm wrong", it's too hard to convert this touchpad in the MBHP world... no ?  ???

yes, I am asuming that the touchpad has something like three terminals common,Xout and Yout, and that the touchpad provides a variable capacitance between common and Xout for x axis and between Yout and common for y axis. I'm only guessing and the reality may be quite different.

So I suppose I should ask, How many connection pins are there on this touchpad?

I disassembled my touch pad and the pcb is glued right onto the pad, so I think it´s useless.

It´s a synaptics touchpad from a notebook, there are 24 connection pins on J1 & 8 on J2.

Sascha

I don´t have a web/digital cam.

The touchpad is connected to another tiny pcb with the buttons & a  plastic flat ribbon cable on it.

There´s no J2 connector on this pcb and from J1 only only 6 pins are used.

The are 5 connections on the plastic flat ribbon cable that goes to the motherboard(I guess).

Sascha

Looking at the datasheet, I would assume that the 5 wire connection to the motherboard is a PS2 or similar connection.

Writing the firmware mod to interface this to the MBHP is a big job with little RAM/ROM to work with.

Converting a variable capacitance into 0-5V is quite simple using the method described earlier, I think. However the touchpad does not seem suited to this. :-/

BTW, If one was very keen, one could use a dedicated MBHP core module to decode the PS2 touchpad data and produce X and Y 0-5V using the two channels of PWM on PortC!   One could also use Port I/O pins to activate button closures! ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest stiffman

I dunno if its more or less complicated, but i picked up a touch pad that plugs into the serial port of a PC, works like a normal com mouse.

It also brings up the idea of using PC mice to controll things aswell