MIOS Studio for Mac users

adamjking

/Edit TK: this thread is expired, it discusses workarounds for the obsolete, Java based MIOS Studio 1

MIOS Studio 2 works natively on Mac OS without workarounds:

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios_studio.html

Original Article from Adam:

Hi All,

Bob Lang, creator of Mandolane (/edit TK: previously called Plumstone), has update the Mandolane MIDI drivers for Java 1.5 and this will hopefully allow Mac users who are running Java 1.5 to run MIOS Studio.

Not being a Mac user myself, I haven't been able to test this. However, Bob has succesfully gotten MIOS Studio to run on Tiger by using Java 1.5 and his new version of Plumstone. Although untested, he has updated Plumstone in a way that should be backwards compatible with Java 1.4 and I have updated MIOS Studio to also be backwards compatible - therefore anyone running older versions of OS X and Java 1.4 are encouraged to also test this out. The latest beta version of MIOS Studio is available here, please note that some features such as the SysEx Upload and Memory Read/Write are not fully implemented yet.

If any Mac users can try this out and report their findings it'd be a great help. Also, please keep checking Bob's Mandolane site for any updates and/or official releases.

Cheers,
- Adam

Update 2008-03-21: an alternative software is available here:
http://www.humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm

In distance to Plumstone/Mandolane it's free!

Update 2009-09-03: mmj has been discontinued, it doesn't work with 64bit Java, and it doesn't work under Snow Leopard (even when 32bit JRE is selected)
Please use Mandolane again

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hum...

the latest beta (5_1) starts, but the windows are very buggy (there's some issue with the window refreshing, sometimes they dissappear :(

...and I can't say it's sending anything (tested the LCD debug section, but apparently nothing happend...

:-\

...forgot to mention: I'm running Tiger (10.4.3) on a Power PC with Java 1.4.2_09

• 1 month later...

Good to hear.  I've been quietly working on MIOS Studio, among many other things the Virtual Keyboard has been vastly improved:

• The keyboard now has buttons in additions to knobs.
  • The knobs/buttons/expression wheels can now be changed to send Control Change, Note On/Off, Program Change or Pitch Wheel messages.
  • All settings/values are saved on exit and restored when opening MIOS Studio again.
  • There are spin boxes for sending Bank Select MSB/LSB in addition to Program Change messages.

- Adam

Hi Adam,

reg. features, here is one I would like to see. :)

Somebody had problems with the program upload directly after power-on. The core already sent out an upload request, but the voltage hasn't reached the required range before MIOS Studio started to upload the first block. For some reasons, something went wrong and the core crashed (ramp-up phase is always mysterious)

The upload procedure could be made more stable - either

o by adding a < 2s delay after an upload request, before the first block will be sent

o or (this is what I would prefer) by sending a known "bad" block (e.g. a write block with 0 bytes content), and to wait for the expected error response. This would reset the timeout value, so that the core is ready for receiving again under relaxed conditions (MIOS Studio has 3 seconds to send the first "good" block)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

/Edit: mS replaced by s

Hi Thorsten,

The easiest way to do it is to add the delay before it begins uploading. Did you mean < 2 seconds (you put  < 2mS)? I have added a delay of 1.5 seconds before uploading and this works fine.  I'll add it to the TODO list to try and get the second method to work.

- Adam

Thanks! Yes, I meant seconds (statement corrected for forum search function)

I just had another idea: an even more secure way to upload new code is the following:

1) send a "bad" block and wait for error response

2a) if MIOS is uploaded (code starts at 0x0000), upload a dummy block which contains two "reset" instructions, located at 0x0000

2b) if the .hex file contains some code which is located in between 0x100-0xffff (0xffff because of PIC18F4620), upload a dummy block which contains one "reset", located at 0x3300

2c) in all other cases (no code between 0x0000-0xffff) just upload the data and ignore this algorithm

3) don't continue if this dummy block hasn't been uploaded correctly, because it should ensure, that no code is executed until the complete .hex file has been uploaded successfully

4) upload all blocks execept for the block which contains the "reset" instruction(s)

5) at the end, overwrite the block which contains the "reset" instruction(s)

This algorithm ensures, that uncomplete code will never be executed, if something unexpected happened during the upload phase (e.g. low power, disconnected MIDI cables, MIDI interface driver crash or whatever)

If required, I could try to implement this into MIOS Studio by myself (in this case, please send me the most recent source code)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 1 month later...

I finally succeeded too in installing MIOS Studio.  :D

I got MIOS Studio 5.1 beta working with the Java2 5.0 release 3:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/java2se50release3.html

Hower, the problem was, that I haven't read the release notes.  :-X

Once you have downloaded and installed Java5, it isn't automatically used by MIOS Studio. There should be a program resided in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/

Open it and set it to prefer 5.0 over 4.2

Thanks for MIOS Studio!  ;)

Michael

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered already but I couldnt find anything about it anywhere else. How can you use the MIOS studio with mac os 9.1 ? I downloaded the MJR but it wont open the jar file. There does not seem to be any other java downloads from apple for older OS'es. Is there a method or an alternative? Perhaps I have missed something!

Thanks,

John

That sucks!

Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party java application launcher for this OS? I have set up an older ppc in the workshop to use as an oscilliscope, web browser and to play mp3's while I solder away, so would seem a shame to have to physically move another kind of computer and midi interface in just to do such a simple task. The machine wont work with OS 9.2 or later, and I have a working serial midi interface to go with it so Im keen to use it if anyone has a suggestion on how to! I could probably install linux on it instead, but thats not easy on the old style macs, and from what I have read the midi support isnt up to the task.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...