MIOS Studio for Mac users

adamjking

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

from what I could read from the google cache, this "corporation" "took over" plumstone. I could see that it's still free; they just sell a midi-server. I think it's just a temporary problem. I can mail it to you if you'd pm me your address; I have 1.3 for PowerPC...

cheers,

Michael

AC, when you say for PowerPC, do you know what models are supported? Will it run on my 9600/350 or G3?

The G3 seems not capable of OSX as each boot it forgets all the pram settings (with fresh battery, zapped pram, and also reset open firmware).

Id love to get java on an older ppc!!

Thanks,

John

sorry, I meant Plumstone for OSX (PPC).

I mentioned it, because I saw there's also a new Intel-Version available.

Although I heard Java opens source these days, I wouldn't bet on a version for OS 9 (I don't know many ppl with Classic OS, and those who use it are not related to programming at all :-\ if ya know what I mean... )

Best regards,

Michael

• 1 year later...

It works fine on my side. My Midibox FM appears to be sending and receiving MIDI messages with not issues at all.

The only problem is that it's very troublesome uploading firmware. I've had a hell of a time. I actually posted that problem in another thread, but no one really mentioned anything.

Anyhow I have been able to upload at times, I really don't know what I do differently. But I have just uploaded over and over and over and it eventually allows it. But as I said, I can trigger sounds with the keyboard. And MIOS Studio says it gets and upload request, it tries to send the software, but it just never follows through.

Is there anything you'd like me to test?

Hi napierzaza,

you could test uploading with SysEx Librarian. Before you upload, go to Preferences and vary the timing settings. Mine works fine with 750 ms length pauses.

If you have troubles there as well, it's not Mandolane.

And if you don't have troubles there, you have a convenient method of uploading your programs, but are still able to use MIOSStudio for other purposes ;)

Best,

Michael

I will check out the librarian.

Also, I emailed the developer at Humatic (MMJ developer):

just a quick reply as I am on the road in the moment:

I have recently fixed a number of SysEx related bugs in mmj (version 0.85). I  originally wrote mmj strictly for our own needs (timecode sync) and never had a use for SysEx ,so it just wasn't implemented at all in the beginning and implemented with a lot of bugs after people initially complained. However, I have been in contact with the people working on the Nomad NordModular Editor recently and sorted most of what was wrong with SysEx out, I think.

Don't know what mmj version you are using, but maybe your problems are already solved with the latest one. Let me know if that's not the case. I'll be back and able to look at the code etc. on Wednesday next week.

There's a script called "hex2syx.pl" (normally in the "tools" folder of the application) to convert the .hex to an uploadable .syx file:

1) open the terminal

2) type

[tt]cd [/tt] (Space) and drag the tools folder into the terminal window, press return

2b) the hex2syx.pl must be set to "executeable". You have to do this step only once:

[tt]chmod 750 hex2syx.pl[/tt] and press return

3) type

[tt]./hex2syx.pl [/tt] (Space) and drag the .hex file into the terminal window, press return

4) the .syx file should now be generated.

For a Windows-How-To see http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_hex2syx.html

regards,

Michael

Edit: I've put this information in a new Wiki-Page:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/hex2syx

ERROR: you are trying to overwrite the MIOS address range

Check your main.asm file -- code should be included *after* mios_tables.inc!

If it was your intention to convert a MIOS .hex file, add -os_upload!

I tried using that and I get this, I don't really want to keep following these additions to the commands:

Block 000000-0003FF allocated - Checksum: 14

Block 003000-0033FF allocated - Checksum: 24

Block 003400-0037FF allocated - Checksum: 6E

Block 003800-003BFF allocated - Checksum: 2D

Block 003C00-003FFF allocated - Checksum: 03

Block 004000-0043FF allocated - Checksum: 6A

Block 004400-0047FF allocated - Checksum: 5F

Block 004800-004BFF allocated - Checksum: 33

Block 004C00-004FFF allocated - Checksum: 37

Block 005000-0053FF allocated - Checksum: 61

Block 005400-0057FF allocated - Checksum: 29

Block 005800-005BFF allocated - Checksum: 52

Block 005C00-005FFF allocated - Checksum: 5B

Block 006000-0063FF allocated - Checksum: 67

Block 006400-0067FF allocated - Checksum: 3E

Block 006800-006BFF allocated - Checksum: 20

Block 006C00-006FFF allocated - Checksum: 6E

Block 007000-0073FF allocated - Checksum: 59

Block 007400-0077FF allocated - Checksum: 0F

Block 007800-007BFF allocated - Checksum: 54

ERROR: you are trying to overwrite the Bootstrap Loader range!

If you are using a 64k PIC device, add -mem_64k!

okay, this seems to be too complicated, I guess it's easier for you to check the update or use Mandolane.

Don't know what mmj version you are using, but maybe your problems are already solved with the latest one

In case you still want to use the script: I guess you're trying this with a PIC18F4620... then you should do what the error message tells you: add [tt]-mem_64k[/tt] to the line where you call the script. (The script defaults to PIC18F452's with less memory.)