Has anyone added a balanced audio output??

ZiggY!!

Anyone modded it for standard +4 balanced operation? Me thinks it would be as simple as adding an inverting NE5532 dual opamp circuit on the output...

nothing too flash... but handy for patching into most studio gear, and for long cable runs.

• 2 weeks later...
Could someone explain what a transformer is, what it does

wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer (Isn't the internet great ;D)

What Milkmansound and Ziggy are speaking of are output transformenrs like these:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/ln_out.html (Making a balanced signal)

Look at the prices ;)   What I wanna say: If you don't know what a output (or MIC input) transformer does, you won't need one.

well come on man, of course the Jensen trannies are going to be that expensive. You can use a triad audio transformer - they are really nice military spec quality - and small, and will most likely handle what the SID has to offer. But you will use the super low frequencies - an opamp based balancing circuit like this for example:

balfig5b.gif

might be better for the project. Check this page out for even more info:

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm

good luck!

well come on man, of course the Jensen trannies are going to be that expensive. You can use a triad audio transformer - they are really nice military spec quality - and small, and will most likely handle what the SID has to offer.

I think thats the point.

Is the SID sound quality (in technical meaning) worth balanced outputs? Only if you use really long wires...

Concerning the opamp solution: If you are speaking of adding warmth then you'll have to use a transformer.

Just my 2ct.

Raphael

really, there is no reason to add a balanced output at all other than to interface with already balanced gear. Most modern gear will handle a non-balanced signal though, so there is not a huge demand for an XLR output. I think every synth I own has 1/4" unbalanced outputs - having one with an XLR balanced output would actually be an inconvenience  ;)

really, there is no reason to add a balanced output at all other than to interface with already balanced gear. Most modern gear will handle a non-balanced signal though, so there is not a huge demand for an XLR output. I think every synth I own has 1/4" unbalanced outputs - having one with an XLR balanced output would actually be an inconvenience  ;)

I'd double-check if I were you - many synths (and most synths produced in the 90s) were actually produced with balanced 1/4" TRS.

ok, maybe balanced TRS - but certainly not balanced XLR

some of the old Moog synths had XLR outs, and I also recall seeing some modern "workstation" type synths with XLR - but generally, synths are not operating at mic levels and impedances - 1/4" is usually the standard. 1/4" balanced is a luxury  ;)

some of the old Moog synths had XLR outs, and I also recall seeing some modern "workstation" type synths with XLR - but generally, synths are not operating at mic levels and impedances

...Roland Jupiter 8, some Akai samplers, Studio grade fx.. XLR indicates that connections are balanced, but it doesn't indicate the signal levels.

Bye, Moebius