the becoming of a midbox sid.

Wisefire

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

i was also ordering stuff from SmashTV as well as from Mike; i don't get your issues regarding the IC's being on PVC and non-protected.

I see that all stuff i ordered was good packed, no miss of parts and the quality of the PCB is fine (even for a beginner like me the soldering

is _really_ easy and the irioning tin is floating nicely.

As i understand something about electronics, but i don't see any bad quality neither defective stuff on either orders.

just my .2 cents.

--jan

i was also ordering stuff from SmashTV as well as from Mike; i don't get your issues regarding the IC's being on PVC and non-protected.

It's all about static electricity, the kind of foam in the pictures self-generates static.  Static is known to kill chips.  The correct foam to use is conductive (and always black in color), so it passes a static charge to any better ground potential than the chip.

Or you can lose the foam completely and use cut tubes and anti-static bags like me and the chip manufacturers do.... ;)

I see that all stuff i ordered was good packed, no miss of parts and the quality of the PCB is fine (even for a beginner like me the soldering is _really_ easy and the irioning tin is floating nicely.
Thank you!

But can you mount Mike's board (correct mounting holes?)  or do you have to drill some new holes?  I sell pro made boards ready to use, and that's the way it should be.  When I buy a kit I like to spend my time putting it together, not finishing the kit producers work so that I can get ready to put it together.....

As i understand something about electronics, but i don't see any bad quality neither defective stuff on either orders.

Right, but that does not mean you are not just lucky.  Would you buy a SID chip simply stuck on a styrofoam packing peanut?  The same caution applies here.  I put on a wrist strap to transfer and handle my chips with anti-static equipment on grounded mats, just like the manufacturer does.  The idea is for you to get brand new parts with some pulled from each lot and tested, not to have a question about whether a chip was already dead when you got it or if you killed it.....

Not trying to start a flamewar or anything like that, but anti-static is the only accepted way, any other is wrong, and you won't see any pro electronic companies packing any static-sensitive parts this way.  (20+ years in electronics has shown me this many times.)

You guys are paying good money for these boards and kits from Mike, you should not have to ask for good quality!

Best!

Smash

funny that mike and jörg dont reply!..

but thats as funny as smashtv not saying anything about the price difference (when ordering a COMPLETE mbsid synth package with CS modules)

</obnoxious>

ordered the knobs for on the rotary encoders.. now figuring out how to pay :D

funny that mike and jörg dont reply!..

but thats as funny as smashtv not saying anything about the price difference (when ordering a COMPLETE mbsid synth package with CS modules)

</obnoxious>

Well, I'm not really sure what to say about the price difference because I truly don't understand....Are you sure you are not comparing my price for a CORE kit with PIC vs. Mike's price without the PIC?

From Joergs Midi-PCB-Kitsshop:

[tt]MIDIbox SID 8580 + CS

contents these module kits:

1 x MBHP_CORE

1 x MBHP_SID 8580

3 x MBHP_DINX4

2 x MBHP_DOUTX4

Art.-Nr.: Set-007

65,00 EUR[/tt]

65.00 EUR = 79.7546 USD

From my shop:

[tt]1 x CORE Kit W/O PIC  $15.00

1 x SID Kit   $15.00

3 x DIN Kit   $30.00

2 x DOUT Kit $20.00

$80.00 USD[/tt]

I know there are other differences, I sell MIDI jacks separately and Mike includes them with the CORE kit, differences in shipping costs based on location, etc.

If I'm missing something here please let me know (I misunderstand quite easily, I am frequently not so bright....)  ;)

</meanwhile back at the ranch>

If you want I can test, burn, and run test your '452s, but there might be someone closer to you who could also do this. 

As always I'll put the bootloader on a PIC for anyone at no cost regardless of where you bought the chip, but you pay postage (cheap for shipping just chips).

I want to see you finish this box man!  and I'm trying to </hijack topic>..... :)

Getting the bootloader on to the chip is a major hurdle for many, it's such a pain vs. the relative ease of the rest of the build.....

<topic derail>

I wonder if an burner could be designed to use an old-school style data to tape interface instead of a PC driving a port.....Would be super easy to burn a special mp3 to a cd, plug a disc player into the burner and press play. 

Anyone know of any tape drive designs that use easy to find parts?  Was that FSK that Commodore used? (been waaaaay too long...)

</topic derail>

Best

Smash

wow you are right smashtv.. i appologize.. sorry.. you are absolutely right.. and i feel very stupid right now..

i REALLY appreciate the offer of testing my PICs.. and really appreciate your help, and everybody elses for that matter.

and i do agree on the fact that the PICs are a mayor payne.. i may take you up on that offer.. ill first find out how much

its going to cost me.. maybe voti.nl would be so kind.. but i dont think so.. so you may hear from me..

kokoon.. the knobs for the rotary encoders where really cheap! and really good.. ill post a picture when they arrive..

but they are soft touch (rubber) and grey with light grey (the indication line) and D shaft 6mm.. and where about 25 cents

a piece.. or about 5 euros for 20 knobs.. but 6 euro cost extra for ordering them..  found them at http://www.rs-components.nl/

im dutch so its kind handy for me that its a dutch company.. but the've got a german website as well.. and an english and

an italian.. australia.. so check out google to see what you can find..

well got another package.. nothing spectacular.. just a big knob for my primary rotary encoder..

i sampled it from OKW..

some pics

bigknobpieces.jpgbigknob.jpg

the whole is too big.. but im just gonna fill it so that its nice and snug.. dunno with what though.. but ill see. thats not the hardest thing..

as for the PIC programming.. if you arent following the other topic.. im kinda stuck but the fact is that ill probably wanna make some other midibox things so its kinda handy for me if i get it working :D

i dont have come any further ive given up.. well at least the part about programming..

i have ordered another batch 18f452s and a couple 18lf452s and im gonna send them to smashtv.. that is the plan..

so im waiting for that order..

my tip to the beginners.. dont try to program those fscking pics.. its a pain in the.. well you choose the body part..

greetz

wisefire

my tip to the beginners.. dont try to program those fscking pics.. its a pain in the.. well you choose the body part..

Well, another way is TO NOT be so #!?"#@ newbie. Seems like some people manage this better than others. The cramps in my middle finger is another thing.. should have learned by now. Some people just rather Fuck UP by themselves and then whine-- Mr. Loosewire.

Bye, Moebius

HA!  ;D

i love it,

'not be so #!?"#@ newbie'!

well today i tried out the broccoli software on a linux live-cd boot on my old pc (i have a new mac i use for everything nowadays that has no parallel port) and I had the problem of a message saying

"cannot set port address to 378"

i have no idea how to address this.

Well, another way is TO NOT be so #!?"#@ newbie. Seems like some people manage this better than others. The cramps in my middle finger is another thing.. should have learned by now. Some people just rather Fuck UP by themselves and then whine-- Mr. Loosewire.

Bye, Moebius

I uSuAlLy MaNaGe ThAt.. lol.. seriously though.. i am not one to go noob on a person id rather ask google before i ask here..

but this is WAY off my area of expertise or even knowledge..  but you CANT accuse me of whining .. well ok maybe you can.. it IS supposed

to be a free world after all.. anyway.. thnx for the comment dude.. appreciate it..

supposedly the last of my parts arrived.. well i will still be needing some things and i will be getting them when i get them.. and then ill sent them and when i have sent them and payed some, ill be getting them back with some stuff extra.. and thats why ill probably have 2 leds showing which sid im using..  and after that ill be asking people to fold stuff and go cyclops on plate and now for some soothing images..

pakket5uitgepakt.jpgknobsscattered.jpg

rubber layer on the outside.. called softtouch.. feels great..

knobsclose.jpginteractive-parts.jpg

i couldnt imagine a better knob..  i really like these.. and if you compare them to the other parts...  they seem to match.. not perfectly but hey..

thats it for now again..

i thought i explained myself properly..

i will still be needing some things and i will be getting them when i get them.. and then ill sent them and when i have sent them and payed some, ill be getting them back with some stuff extra.. and thats why ill probably have 2 leds showing which sid im using.. :D

in short .. im getting help.. FSCK brocolli or jdm or even pic burner.. sod it.. i dont wanna be messing with it anymore.. ill go for the easy route and luckily i can.. cuz of a extremely helpfull and generous person.. smashtv..

and you are not whining.. but you arent trusting me.. look at my inventory .. would i spend 200 euros.. just to fail??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well.. the PICs arrived.. and will be programmed and shipped back soon..

as for some design decisions, i originally wanted to build my synth with removable female sil plugs.. but ive calculated it.. and i would need about 300 of those.. which whould come down to 30 euros..  but i dont know if that is a good idea.. seeing it would cost too much..