the becoming of a midbox sid.

Wisefire

hi all,

im gonna use this topic as a sort weblog to describe all the steps i take to build my midibox sid.

last week i found and bought a commodore from from an online marketplace. picked it up in amsterdam sloterdijk for 5 euros.

c64.jpg

as you can see its the second version, and indeed has an 8580 in it.. however i didnt get to test it fully as of yet.. but i know it still makes sound.

last night, after thorough research ive decided to buy the pcb kits (thats pcb and pcbparts) from jörgs midishop and the lcd, leds, and rotaty encoders from voti.nl ive opted for a 40x2 lcd. that choice wasnt that easy, cuz of the fact that i have to recompile the hex/syx.. but it was VERY cheap (12 euros) and it is backlighted so in my opinion the pros outweigh the cons..

today ive gone to an electronics store to buy some material for the jdm module, when i get my PIC ill be able to program it myself instead of paying other people to do it.. its not actually cheaper.. ill break even when i make a 4xsid midibox.. but its fun to learn.. and maybe when all goes well i might be able to program pics for other people in holland.. anyhow, ive decided to do this myself..

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i pulled an all nighter and finished the jdm module.. i didnt test it yet, cuz im too tired.. i will now be hitting the sack, as it were..

at first i couldnt find my good solder, so i tried very briefly to solder with a higher gauge (thickness..) my advise: DONT.. its horrible..

and ofcourse presoldering wire is a very good advise.. in case you missed it..

jdm.jpg

notice the weird clunking of parts.. im not a very good space planner.. but all the connections are there.. and it should work..

Hi,

no problem with the cap.. XP? Are you trying to program thee PIC? You'll have to install PortIO or that another package I can't remember the name of - to use ICProg. And the JDM - pheww.. no, I won't bash it, but if IT doesn't work.. Buahahah. Your not the only one.

Bye, Moebius

i wont take no for an answer from that thing.. i need it to work..

and i was doing the test first.. measuring voltages.. but i dont seem to get any voltage.. its too bad that i dont actually KNOW what i am doing :P

ill have to try again when i get the pic.. or when i assembled all the rest (which i still has to be delivered :P) or maybe when i feel like setting up an old computer.. which has win98 on it..

ive noticed a missing connection, and now i am atleast measuring SOMETHING.. its not 14 v.. but somewhere in the vincinity of 5 v..

but im glad its now atleast giving something out..

I would never plug a PIC in if not ALL the tests give you correct voltage readings. So if you post all the voltage readings, we can perhaps help you.

Raphael

hey rapheal,

thnx.. you are absolutely right.. and luckily i havent done that yet..

i havent got my PIC in yet.. its still shipping :S it has been for about 7 days now.. 5 work days..

anyway ill post voltage readings when i have setup a old windows 98 system.. cuz i dont

wanna bother with all the problems that newer computers and xp has with the JDM..

Thnx again,

Wisefire

Good news,

FINALLY something has come in.. after a week of waiting, my voti.nl order has come in..

pakket.jpgpakketopen.jpg

i opened it and..

pakketuitgepakt.jpg40x2disp.jpg

Got my first look at my beautiful 40x2 display.. great stuff..

here is a closeup of the connection

dispcloseback.jpg

now its just the order from jörgs shop.. and im in business.. ok ok.. you are right.. i should probably have some buttons as well..

but i have found a dutch seller who sells mec buttons.. so that shouldnt pose a problem.. or ill raid an old vcr..

anyway.. huh? whats that you say?? yeah.. hmhm.. a casing?? oh dont you worry your pretty little head about that.. i found a guy who

can fold alu for free.. and a guy with cnc equipment isnt to hard to find in my circle of friend... (at least i hope not)

thats about it for now.. still waiting on my PICS as well btw..

ill keep you posted..

wow.. ive been stickied.. thnx tk.. thumbsup.gif

and now for something completely different..

scdfizz1.jpgscdfizz2.jpg

had some old junk lying around.. some guy at my school tried to make a mixer.. with a "vu meter"in it.. project went horribly wrong.

i salvaged the remaining parts.. bent  the already drilled alu with my bare hands (aint I a brute :P) into a shape where his "vu meter"could fit..  this visualizer is the worst VIS, ive ever seen.. and it is most certainly NOT a VU meter.. you cant read anything acurately on it, not even if a sound is playing.. you have to change the value on a onboard pot for that.. lol.. but it has leds and it looks cewl. so i decided to make a casing for it.. obviously its called FIZZ.. and thats so people wont call it a VU meter..

FYI. my midibox sid WILL look better than this.. lol..

well,

ive got good news.. got my next package.. all the way from germany.. :P ive received my PCBs and parts..

ofcourse here are some pictures..

pakket2.jpgpakket2uitgepakt.jpg

5 meter of flat multicore wire.. or whatever the name is.. it will come in handy.. but i will probably need some plugs for it :S

corensidpcb.jpgdinpcb.jpg

here we see the core and sid PCB...    and the dIN PCB.. you will notice the fact that it is NOT marked.. yes, it will be a puzzle..

doutpcb.jpgcoreparts.jpg

the dOUT PCB.. i dont know if smashTVs PCBs are marked, ill probably find out when ill order from him..  oh and here we see the core parts..

sidparts.jpgdinxparts.jpg

the parts for the SID module.. and the parts for 1 dIN module.

doutparts.jpg

and finally the parts for 1 dOUT module..

now only for the PIC processors.. ill probably go ahead and build a 2,3 or 4 SID  midiboxSID but that will come at a later stage.. when i succesfully built a working version :P.. and when i get some more commodore64s

thats it for now.. greets.. wisefire..

well, ofcourse i got right in and built the first module.. just a simple one i thought.. so i built a dOUT module.

and as usual here are some pics..

dout1done.jpgdout1doneback.jpg

the front, notice all the resistors facing the same way...  the back, notice the blue wire, i wonder why the pcb couldnt be bigger, as to avoid this..

putachipinit.jpgikea.jpg

you know the feeling you get when you build something from ikea, and when you're done you notice the parts you didnt use. the feeling of fear that when you going to actually use the chair, table or bookcase, its going to collapse or disintigrate.. thats the feeling i got when i noticed these 5 parts..

why are they in there.. for what do i need them?

the dOUT PCB.. i dont know if smashTVs PCBs are marked, ill probably find out when ill order from him..

No need to wonder - The most of the SmashTV's boards have the silkscreen. (Only limited volume "in house" boards that Tim etches himself don't)

the back, notice the blue wire, i wonder why the pcb couldnt be bigger, as to avoid this..

Because board layouts are made with freeware version of the eagle that has a board size limit.

thats the feeling i got when i noticed these 5 parts..

why are they in there.. for what do i need them?

Those are just bunch of extra parts thrown in to make you feel distracted ;D No, not really.. those are "additional" bypass caps.. you can see the placement in the DOUT page.

Bye, Moebius

I have two questions:

1) Did these chips come in anti-static foam that's not shown in the photos?

2) Where are the mounting holes on the PCBs?

I'm not trying to start a fight or make anyone angry or anything like that, but where is the logic in shipping a "drilled" board that you can't realistically mount, or chips that might not survive the trip due to no anti-static packing...... :-\

Please don't get the wrong idea with this post, I'm not perfect either, quite far from it, but these pictures bother me.

Anyone who has opened a package from me or ever had static kill a chip probably understands.

Absolutely no bad wishes upon Mike or anyone, this is not a bash to gain sales etc. (I have enough thank you guys!) 

Mike's shop and my shop have peacefully co-existed for years now, as it should be.  But if this showed up in my mailbox, I would not be happy. 

Back on topic......

I love these "making of" threads......Way too cool to see the build as it happens.  :) 

No need to wonder - The most of the SmashTV's boards have the silkscreen. (Only limited volume "in house" boards that Tim etches himself don't)

Hehe even most of those had legends, any non-green/old boards from me had the legends done here with either toner transfer or silkscreen. 

The real prize is the current MF board, with it's cool cutting edge process two color legend (meaning the pro white silkscreen legend is there -and- my corrections with a black sharpie marker for the stupid error I made)  ;D

Best!

Smash

hey smash,

to answer your questions:

1. no, thats what i was wondering aswell, the white foam you see on the "ikea" extra parts photo is where all my ICs and parts where plugged in..

2. no mounting holes.. just miniscule holes where i have to drill my own holes.

i am quite convinced (i dont wanna start a fight, riot or flamewar either, just posting my observations) that your pcbs are of "higher" quality, with a guide printed on the back and a modified pcb (i noticed that when i was trying to use your guide to solder my dOUT) where i dont have to put a blue wire on my pcb :P and stick 2 pins in one hole (the ic mounts) BUT.. jörg is substantially cheaper when buying a whole SID kit.. but when i would order just the individual pcbs plus parts..

but still.. both of you provide a uncanny service.. how am i.. as the proverbial "N00B".. going to find all the parts and get a pcb drilled and etched..

and as far as you loving "making of" threads, i do too.. thats why i put in the extra effort of photographing the shindig and posting it..

ive seen the caps on the DOUT page.. thnx moebius for clearing that up.. but still no idea where to place them exactly.. but following the instructions.. i have to find out what the +5volt line is and place them parallel to that line.. as close to the IC's as possible..

well, another night another module.. at least i hope so.. thnx for the interest and support..

c ya laterz..

wisefire..

1. no, thats what i was wondering aswell, the white foam you see on the "ikea" extra parts photo is where all my ICs and parts where plugged in..

Not cool....Anyone in the electronics business should know better.  :-\

2. no mounting holes.. just miniscule holes where i have to drill my own holes.
Maybe I should send Mike some 2mm carbide bits for Christmas..... ;)

......(i dont wanna start a fight, riot or flamewar either, just posting my observations)...
Completely agreed, but I just had no idea the same module from each store would be so different for the builder.....Please don't read any more into this, and know that I'm not after Mike's business, but I'm very serious when it comes to the quality of what I sell, including the way it is packaged.

BUT.. jörg is substantially cheaper when buying a whole SID kit.. but when i would order just the individual pcbs plus parts..
Are you sure about this?  I pegged my kit prices close to Mike's to keep from creating any competitive environment (no plans to practice "predatory" pricing, when a price war would likely end in only one shop).  Mike's prices have always been reasonable, and if profit were the main motive neither of us would be selling this stuff, or our prices would be higher......etc.....

From Mike's:

SID kit (parts and PCB) = 12.30EUR = 15.27USD

From my shop:

SID kit (parts and PCB) = $15.00USD = 12.08EUR

I know my shipping to Europe is higher, etc.  But I -thought- our kit prices were within $1 USD of each other, please correct me where I'm wrong (have not checked in a while)

and as far as you loving "making of" threads, i do too.. thats why i put in the extra effort of photographing the shindig and posting it..
And many thanks for that (it's a huge pain to stop and shoot pictures!)

I have been collecting parts to build a new box for a while now, and I'll shoot pics of everything as I go and post them here.....(anxious to build, not enough tinker time lately) 

Best!

Smash

jörg has a WHOLE SID kit.. which includes everything you've seen on the pics, exept the flatcable. and it cost about the price of 1 sidkit,  1core kit, 1! dinx kit  and 1! doutx kit at your store.. that would mean i get 1 dout and 2 din kits for "free" at his place.. which is obviously cheaper :P

obviously it doesnt include the rotary encoders and the lcd or the led cuz i ordered those from voti.nl

and on another note ive completed another module..

my soldering point of my soldering iron has worn down so i decided to get a new one.. and while i was at it some thinner soldering wire.. wow, was that ever a good choice to make.. i did the SID module tonight, and put the caps on the dOUT module..

and again some questions as well.. lets first begin with the pictures..

siddoneoverview.jpgsiddone.jpg

it is done (hopefully).. the small caps where an absolute pain.. i didnt know what was what..but hopefully i put them all in the correct place.. :S

siddoneback.jpg

notice how much better it looks compared to the first module i did..  but where to put the caps.. gathering from TKs Pics on the Sid page, on the VCC instead of the VSS and according to this page http://encyclobeamia.solarbotics.net/articles/vxx.html those are supposed to be opposites..

doutcaps.jpgdoutcapscloseup.jpg

would this mean my caps on my dOUT are in the wrong place as well.. i have connected them from the GROUND of the chips to the ground of the PCB.. and still have to put another cap somewhere (the big blue one :S )

meanwhile i dream of having a very cewl homemade sid synth.. alu casing nice rubber knobs.. and a beautiful display..

oh and this week im picking up an addtional 2 commodores.. yeah baby.. 1 c64v1 and 1c64v2 with obviously one 6851 and one 8580. how im gonna pull it off with the voltages, i dont know.. but i would love to have both chips in there.. or have a stereo 8580 sid synth.. i havent decided yet.. so im buying both.. hey come on.. im paying 5 euros for a c64..

shoot. i wish i had a printer. i'm at nearly the same stage you are (well I actually got sound out of the first sid this morning and just got the LCD turned on just now) and I have my laptop sitting on my worktable with all the webpages and pdfs opened with all the info for me to see. I have OSX on a mac so its obviously easy for me to get to which window i want very quickly; but a color printout of the PCB would be SWEET to be sitting underneath my actual pcb..

would this mean my caps on my dOUT are in the wrong place as well.. i have connected them from the GROUND of the chips to the ground of the PCB..

Yes, this is wrong. You have to place the caps between Vdd (+5V) (which is pin 16 of every 74HC595) and ground.

Take a look at the schematics. These are the reference (as Thorsten always says): http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_doutx4.pdf

So just connect pin 16 of ever 74HC595 with GND (Vs).

and still have to put another cap somewhere (the big blue one :S )

Look again at the schematics. It's the one at J1. So place the cap between Vd and Vs like all the others but as near as possible to J1 (from where the supply voltage comes).

Raphael

@tarzan boy: its kinda mandatory seeing i dont have a guide print on my PCBs.. but it is kinda usefull..

@ raphael: thnx dude.. this almost cleared everything up for me.. one thing though.. do i need to bust a big cap on every dOUT or just the first one. not talking bout the small caps just the big one on the beginning.. thnx..

in the meantime i reajusted my faulty caps they are in sync with the schematic now..

if it doesnt make it worse.. why not :P but lets not get ahead of ehm.. me?!. probably should get some sounds out of my sid first :S

when are those fscking PICs gonna arrive.. man..

how does a dOUT and a SID module look like with the caps in the RIGHT places you ask.. well let me show you!

Siddonewithcaps.jpgdoutcapsdoneright.jpg

THIS IS THE RIGHT.. and i do mean RIGHT CAP CONFIG.. THE PICS IN THE OTHER POST ARE WRONG.. just to avoid getting someone else in the same trouble :P

another day.. another module..

ok another day.. 2 modules.. made a dIN and the CORE..

wow that core is hectic.. but cewl to make anyway.. but i still have a dislike for caps.. they look to much alike :P and i cant just measure them.. but with a little guesswork.. its just like a little puzzle.. :P

dinhalfway.jpgdindone.jpg

i noticed that i dont make photos of half done modules .. so here is one :P.. and now its done..

dindoneback.jpg

notice the caps in the right place :D

coredone.jpgcoredoneback.jpg

i felt productive.. notice the osc crystal is ON the pcb instead of under it.. it fits so why not..  and look how shiny the back is.. im getting better :D