faulty SIDs

kokoon

is it possible that i have a faulty sid - with just 1. OSC working? maybe there's something that can be fixed cause it has a really nice filter... it's a MOS 6581 3984.

then i have another one broken - CSG 8580R5 2989 25 that just pops when a note is triggered (and you can hear some stuff going on in the background... can anything be done?

what kind of errors/faults do your SID chips have? anyone ever fixed one?

and you can hear some stuff going on in the background... can anything be done?

i have the same problem with one of my 8580. You hear the sound very very quiet in the background. I know that the chip once worked. I had some polarity problems with my modules, and after trying out some things the chip ended quiet.

If someone knows how to fix it again.....?

Axel

yeah 50% is not bad - i bought them as broken c64's. so i guess i was even lucky. so far - i got 4 good SIDs out of 6 c64's

well actually i'm not really sure about how good the filters are on the 6581's cause i don't have a good reference but let's say the 2 i have are good.

OnAcid: hmm maybe one of your filter caps is broken?

Nope, I replaced the sid and  the new one was working perfectly.

By the way, Do you guys think it´s a good idea to put heatsinks on the sids? They can get extremely hot. Maybe it extends the chip´s life?