Pots *and* encoders in a MB64 or 64e?

drin

Hi all. I apologize for this post, but I've searched the forums and can't find any direct reference to what I'm looking for, only oblique mentions.

I want to put a single rotary encoder and a number of potentiometers in a MB64 or 64e. I can't find anyone referring to having done this. I have found threads where people say "I was told by Thorsten..." or "I've been told it can be done..." but no posts saying it does indeed work.

I've also gone through the documentation for MB64 and MB64e - they seem to indicate that they're OR situations - MB64 does pots, MB64e does encoders.

I believe it can be done by running a second core with MB64e and linking it to my first core, but that seems to a be a bit of a waste of a core. Is it possible to do what I want without having to run a second core?

Thanks in advance!

-Adrian

Here is a direct mention:  ;)

From http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64e_changelog.html, under V2.1:

experimental support for AIN/MF modules

Although MIDIbox64E has been designed for rotary encoders, it can now also handle with up to 64 pots/faders or up to 8 motorfaders.

Pots and faders are mapped to the "encoder" entries 64-128. Example: if group width is 16, and group 1 is selected, encoders are using Entry 1-16, and pots are using entry 64-(number of pots)

Another direct mention on the MB64E page, almost the last sentence on the page.

I have never wired a 64E this way, so I don't know about the connections etc. but I bet it's the same as connecting pots to a 64.

Best!

Smash

I tried it and I am actually using it for building a Traktor controller.

The MB64E is (now!) pretty much the same as the MB64, just that Encoders can be connected, too. It´s so damn easy, really! Just check the main.asm of MB64E.

Thanks!

I'm actually in Japan so it may take a little longer. Your place->Military address in California->Japan. Hopefully it won't be too long.

-drin

Very cool..... I was wondering how all that works!  It was strange to send one out packaged for US priority but with an international customs declaration attached.

Best!

Smash

I tried it and I am actually using it for building a Traktor controller.

The MB64E is (now!) pretty much the same as the MB64, just that Encoders can be connected, too. It´s so damn easy, really! Just check the main.asm of MB64E.

Same here, just note that with the MB64E there is no "Pot Modes" function like you get with the MB64.

- Adam

Hey guys... I am, like every newbie, very sorry if I'm asking a easy to find (stupid ;)) question... put I'm really going banana's and have been searching around for far to long :p...

Ok so you CAN hook up pods to the 64e, but why shouldn't you be able to hook up the rotary encoders to the 64? (I'm not saying its not possible but I don't really se an anwser :s).

As far as I get it the only difference between the 64e and 64 is that the 64 doesn't have the two AINX4's :s... so shouldn't you be able to use two of the DINX4 pins on a MB64 for a rotary encoder? And the rest of the 30 pins for buttons?... I'm really lost here  ???

Any help would be apreciated, greets, Jeroen.

• 6 months later...

Hi.

It's not only about hardware modules connected, but the application that is running on the PIC. TK has decided to add possibility (code) to use pots with MB64E - that's why it works :)

Bye, Moebius

very useful thread...

Moebius, are you saying that it is possible to use some encoders on the mb64, but that we would have to use the mb64e software for it? Or rather that you can use the mb64 hardware and use the mb64e application/software?

Im in a bit of a dilema, i was pretty sure that mb64 was what i wanted & bought the boards but im now thinking that it would be good to use some encoders. Im willing to give up on the idea of encoders if its not possible with mb64 because i dont want to start all over again, but i can't find a direct reference to my question, lots of similar ones but not quite what i need to know.

cheers for the patience.

EDIT - I found this post http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=6301.0 which i think nearly answers my question. I think i'll just stick with the mb64 & forget the encoders.  ::) oh well, i'll know for next time i suppose.

Meef, all the hardware is MBHP (MIDIBox Hardware Platform). Pots use AINs (Analog Inputs) to talk to the Core module. Encoders use DINs (Digital Ins). Both AIN and DIN modules are How or if the core uses the data from these modules depends on the application. The MB64 application currently supports pots, and the MB64e application currently supports both pots and encoders. It is possible to use encoders with the MB64 application, but you will need to make additions and modifications to the application code.

If you have not made many customisations it should be a simple operation to add some more DIN modules and use the MB64 application.

Hope this helps :)

thats a massive help stryd_one, thank you very much, certainly given me something to think about. To code edititing part scares me the most out of the whole project but i guess its like all the rest of it, some learning & reading makes it possible.

So i assume i would need to sacrifice some of my buttons to fit the encoders in because from what i can make out there is only a certain number of inputs so i cant simply add extra DINs in addition to the 2 i already have?

If you have not made many customisations it should be a simple operation to add some more DIN modules and use the MB64 application.

Hope this helps :)

Do you mean "use the M64E Application here? It would be great if someone knowledgeable could draw a little diagram (sketch, really) of how the wiring works for a mixed Encoder/Pot environment. I guess that on the M64E, you just use the AINs for Pots and DINs for buttons/encoders, where Encoders take 2 pins and buttons take one? That means a Max of 32 Encoders per core, right? Or, 32 Buttons and 16 Encoders, or (you get the idea)... :)

I see that - but "No Buttons"?  Can I assume that I am correct in stating:

A Midibox64E can have up to:

32 Encoders and 64 Buttons using 4 chained DINx4s

and 64 Pots using two AINs?

(I am ignoring DOUTs here)

In my case, I fall just within limits for 2DINx4s : I need 51 Buttons and 6 Encoders, for a total of 63 digital inputs, and 38 Pots.

Pretty sure this will work based on this picture here:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_midibox64e_lc.gif

Thatsa Lotta Meatball!

Coolness. Anyone have any idea what the syntax looks like for the "experimental support" below?

experimental support for AIN/MF modules

Although MIDIbox64E has been designed for rotary encoders, it can now also handle with up to 64 pots/faders or up to 8 motorfaders.

Pots and faders are mapped to the "encoder" entries 64-128. Example: if group width is 16, and group 1 is selected, encoders are using Entry 1-16, and pots are using entry 64-(number of pots)

Unfortunately, I can't determine what the syntax is for this. is it the same format as in a mb64 ini file? Or is there something in MIOS that gets input from a pot on encoder channels 64-128 and converts it in some way? IE, do I have to modify lines 64-128 in any way to hook a pot to them, or does MIOS handle that for me and I just use the encoder syntax?

Does this below need changed?    Is LED Pattern valid anymore?

64 =  B0 3F [00-7F:00]  ENC_MODE_ABSOLUTE&NORMAL  LED_PATTERN_0  "CC # 63" DEC|

I see that - but "No Buttons"?  Can I assume that I am correct in stating:

A Midibox64E can have up to:

32 Encoders and 64 Buttons using 4 chained DINx4s

and 64 Pots using two AINs?

(I am ignoring DOUTs here)

In my case, I fall just within limits for 2DINx4s : I need 51 Buttons and 6 Encoders, for a total of 63 digital inputs, and 38 Pots.

Pretty sure this will work based on this picture here:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_midibox64e_lc.gif

Thatsa Lotta Meatball!

that'll be a beast if you use all that!

As far as I am aware the pots map to the encoder entries so if you have 64 buttons you then have a total of 64 entries available for pots/encoders i.e. you can't have 64 pots and 32 encoders at the same time. You could though (for example) have 16 encoders and 32 pots - that's how I read it from the application anyway.