Organ Buss Bars

robinfawell

This message is to anyone who knows about older electronic organs, possibly Jim Henry.

I would like to replace the gold plated buss in the Conn Model 716 that I am redesigning with midibox bits. They are pitted and I think that the contact reliability should improve.

The manual refers to these as Clad rods.  I guess that they are gold plated copper. Each buss is just under 6.5" long with a right angle bend  projecting about 3/8".  This is the contact for the buss.  There are 5, one for each octave.  There is also a short one for one note about 1/2" long.  The dia is 1.1mm.

Where should I look for this gold plated wire.  I imagine that the spares may  be difficult to find and that I should be able to make them with any luck.

Regards Robin

• 2 weeks later...

You can get parts for your Conn from Organ Service Corp. in Marengo, Indiana USA. 

http://www.organservice.com/

They sould have what you need.  Try part #58135-210 for an example. 

I don't recall that Conn used gold contacts and bars though, when I worked on them they were silver.  We cleaned them with denatured alcohol.  You can get that at the hardware store.  If they are gold they should for just about ever.  But Conns were audio keyed so some mantenance is typical. 

Joe

Thanks for your comments.  I knew that they might be availble from that source.

I was looking for a cheaper DIY solution; there are  10 busses +2 small 1 note  busses??(spelling)

I'm fairly certain that they are gold plated copper.

I will wait until the sytem is working, clean the contacts and review the matter before taking any action.

Regards Robin Fawell

• 3 weeks later...