Nokia 5110 LCDs

d2k

Hey...

I've come across a bunch of Nokia 5110 LCDs which work with the PCD8544 driver already written. These LCDs use the rubber type thingy connector pad but I've successfully made a pcb with the added components (as shown in this pdf: http://ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_lcd7_pcd8544_cheap_single.pdf) and a connector for simple attachment to a pinheader or such. Here are some pics of the proto brd i etched n tested:

nokia5110-lcd_1.jpg

nokia5110-lcd_2.jpg

nokia5110-lcd_3.jpg

nokia5110-lcd_4.jpg

I've since added some tiny 0603 bright blue leds which backlight it v nicely...will get some pics up soon as i get some more batts for the cam ;)

If I get a bunch of these pcb's made up with proper plated pads n such, and do like a lcd kit type thing (with the additional components added perhaps) would there be any interest?

Peesh!

D

I'd be interested in a kit (with source for lcd (or better, included)) if it could be

reasonably shipped to the USA.

---john.

good stuff :)

ok, so how many are peeps looking to get? I need to work out how many pcb's to get fab'ed and then can work out a final cost. Also what colour LEDs for backlighting? Does everyone want bright blue ones? (i will get those pics up over the weekend!)...

JohnH, yes it'd be a complete set - so LCD, PCB, LEDs, Components (like in the pics posted - except a smarter looking pro fab'ed pcb)...

Is everyone happy with the connector on the back like that? I used a 16pin ic socket as it covered a wide area - so when it sat on regular pin headers on the main pcb it was rigid - you could also run many of them together in a line on stripboard say and save on wiring hassles ;)

Hi Roger,

Hehehe.... and the prices    ? And who's writing a driver? 

two mixing console manufacturers use them already -- and have written corresponding drivers for Embedded Linux. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to tell you more details (-> confidential)...  >:( But: I had an Osram Opto presentation slide with pictures -- somewhere in my files (not confidential). I'll search for it and post it to you -- just to give an idea how it looks like.

Regarding prices: well, of course it's not a cheap solution, but a very professional one. Excellent quality, no compromises,...  Regarding the driver: I'll ask for a sample for you -- free of charge, and you are invited to write a corresponding MBLC driver!  8)

Cheers,

Skunk

ok, so how many are peeps looking to get? I

Depends on price.  But I have a need for a couple at least, probably more.

Thanks for trying to put this together!

---john.

okay, here's a pic with the LED's I added - apologies for the quality (used me shitty phone cam which don't do the details justice)...

nokia5110-lcd_5.jpg

The overall brightness is actually pretty even in reality and the 'bright spots' (as in the photo) are not as harsh...however, mebbe some improvements could be made before proceeding. I used 'topview' 0603 type which are very small but I think 0805 might fit in fine...also placing the LEDs on theyre sides (so they emit light sideways) will improve balanced more so...

Where do you get the Displays from and what price?

Theres always one...Do you wanna do a similar thing? I get them from someone who gets them from someone else. Price wise - not sure but should be around £1/per lcd or under depending on quantity...so a complete kit with PCB/components shouldn't be much when compared to say a regular 16x2 CLCD...ok?

Best,

D

Do you wanna do a similar thing?

Actually I have 100 displays... but without the frames and it turned out, that there's too much work to get them to function without the original frame

Price wise - not sure but should be around £1/per lcd or under depending on quantity...so a complete kit with PCB/components shouldn't be much

Depending on price, I'm interrested in 100 pcs. Could you please post the final price?

Greets, Roger

BTW: Perfect work!

Hey...

Have you tried with 8 displays? (if you have 8 one!)

No, not tested with 8 (yet) only 1 with that test pcb...but yes, your on the ball thinking a multi-channel config. The idea with the IC socket/signal routing i/o was so multiple LCDs could be run on regular stripboard (using standard 2.54mm grid) and you wouldnt need to cut any tracks except a seperate one for each LCD CS line...will save on a cabling mess and mean tidier mounting to any front panel...

How thick have you designed your display + pcb?

In the test pcb (as pictured) the thickness was regular 1.6mm but as u can see i had to file a lil where the frame catches attach to the pcb - so I think the end pcb will be around 0.8mm...

Depending on price, I'm interrested in 100 pcs. Could you please post the final price?

Well, i dont have a 100 peices yet but yes I'll post final prices of course...The thing is with these 5110 LCDs is the only ones I've had success with (from the get-go with the already-made-driver) is the type that feature 2 resistors visable inside from the underneath, theres another type without these resistors that wouldnt work...so the dood I get em from just puts the ones with the resistors in aside when he comes by them...so is never sure on a end amount...but it looks like a enough will be available - just may take some time to accumilate...

Will keep everyone posted, thanks...

D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan!

Look at this:

http://www.superkranz.de/christian/S65_Display/DisplayIndex.html

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/forum/read-4-243641.html#new Forum thread is in German, but international questions possible.

LPH88xxxx has the best documentation.

LS020xxx  is the most saled on Ebay.

My idea:

Using the PIC18F2550 SPI as companion chip to controll up to 2 Displays.

And the I2C Inface from Core to communicate between the PICs.

PS: I have ordered 8 pieces for 80€.

What Do You think?

Jack

Hi Jack,

good idea. Got a similar one already some time ago, but with the Osram OLED displays. Everything is a question of the drivers, but the Kranz solution is a starter to add further display types. I'll check to get an OLED display sample (I know Roger, I'd see you loughing already  ;D, but did you ever see the quality of an OLED display compared to standard LCDs? :P).

Cheers,

Skunk

Hi Jack,

interesting forum link. Just went through it. Regarding OLED dispaly size: I think it's just in the right range for channel strips (beyond 40mm width). And a pixel format of 96x64 RGB or single color is more than enough to replace scribble stips, encoder displays, plugin displays etc. etc.

Watch out for a good example at Fairlight DREAM Constellation XT. They use Osram OLED displays already. This is exactly the application I'm thinking about for OLEDs. Not as a replacement for the bigger standard character/graphics LCDs used in the MIDIbox applications.  In my own planning for a modular console design I mix large 12" TFTs per 8 channel strips with a few small Osram OLED displays per 1 channel strip (i.e. 7pcs per channel strip for 1 fader and six VPOTs. Every 8channel module controlled by a PowerPC running Embedded Linux. So I need to write my own drivers unfortunately... :P Long way to go, I suggest to expand the 24hours a day to 48 hours -- or to wait for my retirement...  8)

Cheers,

Skunk

• 1 month later...
whats the IC socket for ???

From d2k's first post of this thread:

"I've successfully made a pcb with the added components (as shown in this pdf: http://ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_lcd7_pcd8544_cheap_single.pdf) and a connector for simple attachment to a pinheader or such"

So it's just the connector to attach the display to a pinheader.

Raphael