c64 power supply: 1st version & 2nd version: wich one?

tokyomatik

i have found a couple of c64 power suppliers, and my intention is to use one of these to give power to my mb sid, one is the first model used by the "brown" c64

the other is smaller and squared like a box, probably was for the "grey" c64

wich one is better to power up my sid?

and if i have use one of these transformers, what kind of modify should i apply to it, to give two different voltages (for the core 5 v,  for the sid  12 v)

i mean: it's the transformer that i have to modify or i have to create a kind of circuitboard so i don't have to touch the transformer?

how it works exactly?

i also took a look at the pdf on ucapps but it's not so clear, a friend of mine that understand about electronics a bit more than me told me that he found some incongruences on it, like two switches??, only one power connection that goes to the sid?? and so on...

can you try to explain me exactly what i have to do now?

the core module is ready, sid module ready too, they are already tested  5v on the core pins , same test of the 5v for the sid and then with 12v, OK

now that i have to reuse the c64 transformer i'm a bit worried and i don't wanna fry everything...

i'm so close....

i mean: it's the transformer that i have to modify or i have to create a kind of circuitboard so i don't have to touch the transformer?

We're talking about this circuit (http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf). Right?`

You don't have to touch the transformer. Ther round connector on the right side is connected (coming from) to the transformer.

also took a look at the pdf on ucapps but it's not so clear, a friend of mine that understand about electronics a bit more than me told me that he found some incongruences on it, like two switches??,

That's OK. Just reuse the 2pole switch from the C64. (In fact it`s one switch which can switch two poles).

only one power connection that goes to the sid??

The second connection is GND which is connected via J2 of the SID module (blue in the schematics).

can you try to explain me exactly what i have to do now?

Just follow the schematics ;)

The circuit is so easy (Just one rectifier, one regulator and some caps) that you can buid it on a breadboard without any problems.

Raphael

• 2 months later...
Can someone please confirm the orientation power supply plug in the schematics?

What exactly is being shown?  is it the male or the female end ?

It`s the original power connector built in the C64. It is a female connector and the schematic shows the front view (from outside the C64 housing).

Details:

http://www.blackdown.org/hwb/connector/power/c64power.html

I'm glad you asked these questions, because I had similar thoughts - when it says "front of the plug" is that the plug itself, meaning the pins, or the front of the socket? Glad you anwered that one or I could have had some serious voltage problems  :P

As for the design of the PSU itself, I was a little confused too - my own C64C (late model that I'm too attached to to take apart) had a square power supply with fins across it and an embossed C= logo, in the same grey/beige colour as the computer. I bought a Mk1 C64 (light brown, dark brown keys) expecting to have a wedge-shaped PSU and instead got one the same design as a later one, but in black. It outputs the right voltages to power up the C64 though, so  guess that's what matters.

My question, is the optimised PSU schematic usable for 6581's, 8580's, or both?

Thanks,

Dan