Clockbox

TK.

Mike, my mistake. I thought you joined play/pause. It is not problem to add dedicated pause button. Stryd, thanks for an offer, If I find out one more button don`t fits the arrangement on my design I`ll ask for you help. ;)

Mike, did I left something else?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone done any testing with the clock generated for accuracy?  I'm considering building this project as I need a rock solid midi clock but I want to be sure this will be stable enough for what I am doing.

If no one has, would someone mind posting a dump from midi-ox of the generated clock timing (or similar data)?

The strengths of a PIC microcontroller are microsecond accurate IO interactions and realtime processing.

it should be more than accurate enough to make music and deliver a most reliable and steady pace, esp. if the core is just running the small clock app... though I admit, it might get critical if you're working at the CERN staff restaurant and need atomic time accuracy for the afternoon dance over coffee & cake =)

Regards,

Michael

Has anyone done any testing with the clock generated for accuracy? I'm considering building this project as I need a rock solid midi clock but I want to be sure this will be stable enough for what I am doing.

If no one has, would someone mind posting a dump from midi-ox of the generated clock timing (or similar data)?

Welcome aboard :)

You won't find a better MIDI clock anywhere. Tests in MIDI-Ox would be irrelevant, as the timing is at least several hundred times more accurate than the timers your PC has to offer - an oscilloscope would be required, and I know that TK used his when testing this software :)

Thanks for the replies.

For those of you who have built this before, how long does SmashTv usually take to ship?  I have a gig coming up on May 16th that I need to use this for and I'm curious how long it will take to receive it and if I can build it fast enough (I'm fairly experienced with an iron and have all the equipment) to actually use at the show.

Tom

ps. Now what would be ideal, is combining this project with the midi merge project.  I'm using a MOTU 4x6 merge matrix (which does MTC but not midi clock...which I could never understand that choice) for that purpose but ideally the less hardware I have to tote around the better.

in 11 days (less some for building/testing) you will only be able to get common stuff... maybe you can get a JDM off ebay or a set of components to vero one up...

You're really cutting it fine though :( I'd get to ordering as per the ucapps.de partslist if I were you... actually if I were you, I'd work on an alternate software solution first, as a fallback in case you get time to start a clockbox but not finish it.

I'm looking at the code and trying to determine where the best place to implement a delay in order to add drift compensation to the midi clock.  The use case is when using this clock with the PC, the PC will have lag before the audio hits the sound card but my synth will not.  So the clock should have some sort of compensation for this in order for all the sound sources to be in time correct?

The most obvious place I found was in Tick(void) just after MCLOCK_Tick();

Thoughts? 

As a side note: looking through the source code, if this clock method is the same method used by the MidiBox SEQ projects, there is no clock prioritization scheme I could see.  So if a clock and a note on event where to occur at the same time, would the clock have to wait for the note on and therefore introduce clock drift?

I'd guess you'd wanna do that in MCLOCK_Tick().

I don't have the time to look over the code in depth, but you are aware that the note on event won't take a lot of time, right? It's not a matter of milliseconds but should be well in µs range, so I really doubt you'll need any compensation for that case ;)