My MBLC Layout: Your comments please...

rambinator

Hi there!

In the german forum we're planning a bulk production-order for frontpanels.

I have done the first sketch of my panel for the MidiboxLC. There are no labels

or graphics, yet. I just want you to have a look at the layout, which is very close

to the original Logic-Control. In the first place I would like to know what you think

about the proportions and relation of all the controls.

mboxlc.jpg.xs.jpg

thanks for your time,

rambinator

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Looks good, but make sure you have tested your components in this desgin before manufacturing the panels, i.e. exact dimensions of LCD etc.

Also you should note that the 4 channels on the LCD are not split evenly across the width like on your design, there is more info on the LCDs like time code display etc which means the channel data is shifted to the right on LCD 1 and to the left on LCD 2.

Sorry if you already know all this, I realise this is still a prelim design.

LO

Also you should note that the 4 channels on the LCD are not split evenly across the width like on your design, there is more info on the LCDs like time code display etc

Thnx for the hint but the the timecode is displayed on 7Seg-Leds on the right side of the headpanel.

The channel information will then be evently spread across the two displays like on the original mackie.

I'm still working on this in the source-code but it should be possible.

What other information do you mean?

• 3 weeks later...

I am using two HD 44780 compliant 2x40 displays. I alway have the timecode displayed in the right panel and some information in the left panel ("tr" or something I don't know if I need it). My vision was to have the eight channels spread equally over the whole width of the displays. I tried to edit the assembler and the c version but with no success yet. The display always messes up with my changes. seems that I don't understand the logic behind this.

When  I look at Doc's box or the one of D2K in the gallery I see that it has these  display spaces at the left and the right although they have extra displays for the timecode. is there any reason for that?

cheers,

rambinator

Hello again,

the display configuration of Doc's MBLC is one of the standard display modes, you access it by pressing the MB layer button, and then pressing the record ready button for channel 3 (assuming you have default button setup). The disadvantage of this mode is that a dialogue message transmitted from logic is kinda broken up and a little harder to read. I don't think you will get even channel spacings unless you start cutting the length of the display pcb's down and putting wires in where the tracks were. But then you have no mounting holes anymore!  :'( (I thought about this! ;)) If changing the display is beyond your scope (beyond mine at the moment!) and you don't like the extra spaces at the ends I guess you could make your panel holes shorter so they hide the ends of the LCD's.

P.S. I've been thinking about this today too! I'm thinking of rebuilding my MBLC. (I've been saying this for two years now!  :P)

I found some further info in an old thread... http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=1751.0

edit... have you checked there is enough room for the LED's to fit around the encoder? (room underneath the panel?)

A comment... it is good to have the LCD almost upright like you have, the viewing angle of these LCD's makes it hard to see otherwise.

Hey thanks for the link... exactly what I was looking for.

I don't quite understand what you mean with enought space for the leds.

do you mean the size of the spacers between the vector board and the panel?

for that I will glue the leds to the panel like thorsten did.

or do you mean the radius of the circle that the leds are on?