Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TK.

MIDIbox SID Walkthrough

11 posts in this topic

The collection of problems reported in the last weeks, and the appr. solutions, can now be found here:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_walkthrough.html

This is a living document which will be enhanced in future

Please let me know, if an important hint is missing

Best Regards, Thorsten.

WOW,

With that document is impossible not to build one!

Thanx again!

Hhhahaha way to resurrect a 3 year old thread!

Welcome, Necrobump the 3rd.

Posted (edited)

Hey all

I've just completed my Seq V4+ (what a beast!) and enjoyed the quality of the code, platform, hardware, community AND this video that I really want a SID V2 now. I'd like to jump straight into the 6582, but happy to be persuaded/dissuaded.

The doc above is great, but I've got a couple of questions:

* I can see that the boards can be purchased at Modular Addict - this is workable, but does anyone know of any EU suppliers?;

* SID chips - aside from wishing I hadn't given my C64 and Vic20 (!) away years ago, getting hold of chips seems very hit and miss on eBay. Any advice on where to/not to go which variants (6581, 8580, SwinSID Ultimate, are revisions important, etc. - I think I understand they can be mixed as long as stereo pairs are matched?) - or if anyone here is looking to sell any! - gratefully received;

* Further to above - can SID chips be tested, in the circumstance where I start buying them on eBay and don't have a C64 or SID synth to test them in?

* Case: can the Wilba cases still be had? I'm pretty happy with acrylic cases, so if there is a set of CAD files I can have one made...

Many thanks, Simon

Edited by SimonSays
Adds

I own some stacks of the old one sided pcbs from mikes-midishop (the same which are pictured in the documentation) but not the wilba. But shipping inside eu isn't that safe anymore and expensive, too. I have just a good feeling by shipping inside germany. 

It depends on your design. It's possible to mix the sids as you want but you need 9v for the 8580 and 12v for the 6581 and 1 core can manage 2 sid modules (left and right) so both sids get the same controller values. If you want that they work independed, you need a core for every sid. The wilba pcb is a system of 4 hardwired cores and 8 sid slots.

I suggest to get a swinsid and if your setup works, you can get and test sids. 

A swinsid is close to a sid but not 100% like a real sid. But cheap and you can use it as 8580 or 6581 by jumper setting.

A 8580 is the newer sid and more precise

The 6581 sounds more dirty and has more bass

Thanks @Noise-Generator... dirty + more bass is obviously good, but £50-80 per 6851 is going to push my bill pretty high!

I think I'll get the Wilba PCBs from Modular Addict (unless any EU suppliers get mentioned) - it's the Control Board + The Main Board, right?

I like the idea of starting with a pair of SwinSIDs and going from there. Can I build a quad core if I'm only using two chips - or do I have to match 1 core to a stereo paid of SIDs (if I want each pair to be independently addressable)?

From there, I suppose a pair of 8580s and see how I feel about the next pair!

Oh - and scrub the question about design files for case... I found them on the site! :)

I strongly suggest making a new thread, since none of this is directly related to TK’s tutorial.

You want the control board and the main board, yes.

10 hours ago, SimonSays said:

I like the idea of starting with a pair of SwinSIDs and going from there. Can I build a quad core if I'm only using two chips - or do I have to match 1 core to a stereo paid of SIDs (if I want each pair to be independently addressable)?

I don’t understand your question exactly. But you can build all four cores regardless of whether or not there are SIDs inserted. Each core can be mono or stereo. You obviously can’t use all four cores unless you have at least one chip for each core. 

Re: type of SIDs... I strongly prefer 8580/6582s. They’re more synth-like and work a little better. They don’t have quite the same overdriven saturation or character but they’re more versatile.

Sorry - I was trying to be efficient, but I hijacked the thread... I'll create a new one and repeat the Q. Thanks (and the answer - that is what I was asking!)