Bucket Brigade (BBD) chips are back!

kokoon

from http://www.visualsound.net/bbd.htm

For many years, Panasonic made Bucket Brigade Delay (BBD) chips which music companies used in making the best chorus, flanger, and analog delay effects. However, Panasonic stopped making these chips several years ago and music companies have either stopped using them, or they are getting near the end of their stockpiles of chips purchased at the end of Panasonic's last production run. Many companies have switched to digital effects (DSP), but as most musicians agree, these just don't sound as good as the real thing, especially when it comes to chorus and flanger effects.

Now, using the same manufacturing process that Panasonic once used, Visual Sound is proud to annouce the re-introduction of the MN3207 and MN3102 BBD chips. These chips are produced to Visual Sound's exacting standards and are fully guaranteed. They are not "New Old Stock"... they are actually new! And they sound just as great as the originals... some say even better! The MN3207 and MN3102 are the chips that have been used in many Chorus and Flanger effects over the years. With some clever circuit designing, it is even possible to create an analog delay with these same chips.

Most applications require both chips working together. If you only need one of the chips, you can buy them individually with the pricing shown below. Quantity price breaks are not combinable between part numbers. Call, fax, or e-mail your order today! Contact information is at the bottom of the page.

prices:

MN3207 - 1024 stage low-voltage BBD:

1-49: $3.75

50-250: $2.75

251-999: $1.75

MN3102 - CMOS clock driver for low-voltage BBD chips:

1-49: $1.95

50-250: $1.75

251-999: $1.55

this is good news huh guys? anyone has any good delay schematics that utilize these panasonic BBDs?

No problem, man! ;D

It's a nice thing You brought this BBD topic to our attention again..

Wisefire: There are 2 ways to control these from the core, I think:

A. Generating (biphase) clock signals to drive clock inputs BBD. I don't know much about MIOS timing, so I don't know if this is possible for, say Chorus/Flanging effects (clocked fast). But this would enable direct control of the delaytime - at least for longer delay effects.

B. AOUT+Voltage Controlled VCO to clock BBDs.

(C. Using normal MN* clock chip and vactrol/LED+LDR combination to control resistance of the clock circuit)

Bye, Moebius

• 2 weeks later...

okay i did a little investigation and found out this  ;)

Shanghai Belling is apparently making the panasonic ICs' clones for a while now  :-*

Small Bear carries them http://www.smallbearelec.com/Search.bok?category=ICs+Delays+and+Echo

the 3207 is 1024 stage which is probably unusable for echo but only for chorus and such.

the 3208 is 2048 stage BBD (okay for short echo)

there's also 3205 which is 4096 stage BBD and was probably the most common chip used in the vintage BBD boxes.

i'll be making this: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=140&Itemid=156

i've ordered 2x 3205 and 2x 3208 so i'll be making two boxes. generalguitargadgets are selling the pcbs too.