Motu cuemix control

jonjon

Hello I think I will put my cuestion here.

I´m thinkin about to buy a MOTU 828mkII soundcard. Inside the soundcard there is a dsp controlled mixer. Its possible to control this with the accompanying software, CueMix. Its also possible to control it with a Mackie HUI. Now to my question, what is the difference betwen a Mackie HUI and other regular midiboxes? Is it possible to control CueMix with a MBLC? Does MBLC have HUI emulation?

/Jon

"Currently, CueMix Console directly supports the Mackie Control Universal, Mackie HUI, and Baby HUI. The Radikal Technologies SAC-2.2 is supported via its HUI emulation mode, as are other 3rd-party control surface products that support HUI emulation."

Haven't people successfully emulated the mackie control universal? In that case why not just use that to control Cuemix instead?

Oh... I read over that MC is also supported. So using the standard MBLC should work without problems. No need to port the HUI protocol...

Haven't people successfully emulated the mackie control universal? In that case why not just use that to control Cuemix instead?

I want to have a hardware to control the cuemix. In best case without the computer.

What about MC, is it MotorControl you are thinking of. Is cuemix working with MotorControl?

Mackie Control isn't special... it's just slightly too expensive for what it does  ;)

http://members.aol.com/mhigrules/MCMap.htm

As you can see the 9 faders transmit pitchbend values on channels 1-9. Then just add a button transmitting A# 2 and one transmitting B2. I reckon you could even do this with the aging MidiBox Plus :) http://ucapps.de/midibox.html

If this *is* possible, then you could get a full pcb kit plus pic for around 25€... Is that cheap enough?

So if the faders of the mackie HUI is what control the levels in cuemix, it´s just to send control messages to pitch weel for that channel? So what MOTU is saying is that regular midi controllers is´not going to work because its the wrong "message" is sent. But in a midibox you can take the right one so the MOTU 828mkII wont know it´s not a mackie HUI. The signal is not  "crypted" or so.

I want to have a hardware to control the cuemix. In best case without the computer.

JonJon,

This came up over the past 3 or 4 days in the Unicornnation hardware forum. The consensus was that the units can't receive, interpret, and direct the MIDI to the routing hardware without the software and drivers being involved, so it doesn't look too likely with no machine. I'm on a 424/2408mk3 here. With no computer, I can get basic conversion between the back panel jacks, and route a stereo pair to different destinations simultaneously, but nothing like cuemix with the full matrix, levels and pan.

FWIW- Nuendo & MOTU had some bugs with ASIO direct monitoring, that I believe finally got sorted out. After seeing it work, I figured I might as well go with Nuendo's software routing at the lowest latency I can get, or just do analog cues from the tracking room. There were weird catches to using them together, like merging multiple lines at different levels to different outputs (a necessity). The Nuendo control of the routing is also a lot closer to true hardware, where you're hearing the same wet/dry mix from the busses during play and record, but you obviously have to keep the DSP load down for safety. Like most DAW apps, it also gives you the option to map just about anything (sends,etc.) to incoming events. Some of that cuemix ADM stuff was fixed, but it's still kind of funky. You want a real mess, you can run cuemix in the back. I did several sessions like that and had to keep re-enabling things and muting or I'd send people crazy slap back signals. ;D

I have no idea why MOTU didn't put standard MIDI learn capabilities in there. I've requested it before, but it doesn't seem likely.

-Take Care

George