Windows doesn't notice USB-Module with J1 closed

SLP

Hi,

J1 is a power output socket, don't close it, because this will cause a short circuit.

Or do you mean the nameless socket, which is close to the USB socket? This one must be closed, otherwise the module won't be powered.

Strangely this doesn't match with your description, therefore I'm a little bit confused. Could you please describe the problem in other words?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

I've meant the Jumper near the USB-Socket, which can be used to power the module by usb.

J3 J8 and J9 are not connected.

If I plug the module in, and the Jumper is closed (USB-powered) Windows doesn'r recognize it. nothing happens. I've looked everywhere in the "Systemsteuerung" (don't know how to spell it in English) but there's nothing.

If I now remove the Jumper, He says:

- found new hardware

- USB device

- the hardware is now installed and can be used

now I start the ez-usb-thing and it says "no Cypress usb-device detectet"  (-> no power, Jumper open)

Well, now i try it again, Jumper open,

and now it says: "A usb-device that was connected to the PC doesn't work properly"

??? ??? ???

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

this is really strange, because it seems, that your USB module is powered from anywhere else? Are you using the MIDIbox-Link port(s)? In this case please ensure that the +5V lines at J8 and J9 are not connected to the core module.

In order to exclude all source of errors, it's better to do the first test without any MIDI connection.

Another question: which Windows version are you using (WinME, Win2000 or WinXP)?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm using Win XP, SP2, 3Ghz P4 , 512Mb RAM, 450 Watt power supply.

J3, J8 and J9 aren't even equipped with pin rows.

I've looked for a similar problem in this forum and it seems, that there was the same problem, but in this case C3 was damaged, and I don't think, that this capacitor was already damaged, when I plugged the module in for the first time. 

I've just read the Thread about the problem I've got (http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=1586.0),

and I've measured about 3,56 Volts at the Crystal. Always.The Multimeter-Display isn't flickering. I've got a scope on my PC, but I think, 3,5V are too much for my audio-input (E-MU 0404). But I've also got the possibility to give it to a friend of mine, who has got access to a scope. It should be a 12Mhz square-signal, Shouldn't? 

You will see a 12 MHz sinewave. Not the voltage, but the frequency is too high for your soundcard (I guess that the sample rate isn't higher than 96 kHz?)

If it is a reset problem (after reading your postings again, it seems to be the possible root cause - removing the jumper will cause a short reset pulse, the chip will reboot, windows regognizes it, but after a short time the chip will brown out due to missing power...) then you could try the following: use a short cable, connect it with 3.3V, and tip it for a short time on Pin 13 of the AN2131SC (or better: to the connection between C3 and R27). This should cause a reboot. The powerr jumper must be closed of course...

If this helps, then maybe the C3 value I've selected (100 nF) was too optimistic, and I have to change the specs to a 1 uF or 10 uF cap

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, after your description, i've just got to bridge the 2 pins of c3.

use a short cable, connect it with 3.3V, and tip it for a short time on Pin 13 of the AN2131SC (or better: to the connection between C3 and R27)

But the only thing that I could recognize was, that the power-Led gets a bit darker for the time i shortcut C3. windows didn't notice anything.

by the way, my friend has checked the crystall with a scope and there are always about 3,5V at crystall. no signs of a sine (nice wordplay :-)).

Matthias

i've just got to bridge the 2 pins of c3.

no, it's not a bridge, but something like a "manual reset button" (cheap solution: without button ;-))

But the only thing that I could recognize was, that the power-Led gets a bit darker for the time i shortcut C3. windows didn't notice anything.

ok, so it's not a reset problem

by the way, my friend has checked the crystall with a scope and there are always about 3,5V at crystall. no signs of a sine (nice wordplay :-)).

This could have several root causes. Assumed that you are using the suggested crystal from Reichelt (if not: which one are you using instead), it could be that one or more ground/3.3V lines of the chip have no contact with the PCB. Therefore the general hint: add a little bit more solder to all pins.

If all these hints don't help, then just send me the module so that I can check it with my own equipment (not to my postal address, but to a packstation - I will mail you this address if required) - for me it would be interesting to learn, which errors can be made, this will help next users who are facing the same issue. I built 4 MBHP_USB modules so far, and tested them with several computers (also at friends), so that I at least know, that the circuit and software are ok, and that the reason for the failure on your board must be a bad connection or something like that...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Good news (I actually hope, that they are good news :-) )!

I was that angry of this *curse* C3 , so i cut it of.

Now when I plug the module in, and the pwr-Jumper is closed (!), windows recognizes!

the only problem now is, that mr. Gates says, that he doesn't know this device (usb-gerät wurde nicht erkannt).

but it still doesn't help if I link the 2 former pins of C3 (led gets darker).

I think it would help, if i use a 1 uF or 10 uF cap instead of c3.

... maybe the C3 value I've selected (100 nF) was too optimistic, and I have to change the specs to a 1 uF or 10 uF cap ...

matthias

I've looked in the system-configuration (systemsteuerung?) and there are 2 possible scenes:

1. Windows can't find a more applicable driver than the driver that was already installed.

2. Windows can't find any driver in the driver-file.

???

matthias

o ensure that the EEPROM is not stuffed on your module! (if this is the case, unmount it and remove/connect the USB cable)

o click Systemsteuerung->System Icon

o select "hardware" slider

o click on "gerätemanager"

o uncollapse "USB-Controller", search for the "unknown" device (if it isn't unknown, you will read "Cypress EZ-USB... EEPROM missing"

o doubleclick on this icon

o select "Treiber" slider, click on "Treiberdetails" - which one is displayed?

o click on "Aktualisieren..."

o select "Nein, Diesmal nicht" and "Weiter"

o select "Software von einer Liste..." and "Weiter"

o select "Folgende Quellen ebenfalls durchsuchen..." and "Durchsuchen"

o select the directory ez-usb/driver within the mbhp_usb package

anything missing?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hi Thorsten,

That's exactly the same way i did it...

o ensure that the EEPROM is not stuffed on your module! (if this is the case, unmount it and remove/connect the USB cable)

o click Systemsteuerung->System Icon

o select "hardware" slider

o click on "gerätemanager"

o uncollapse "USB-Controller", search for the "unknown" device (if it isn't unknown, you will read "Cypress EZ-USB... EEPROM missing"

o doubleclick on this icon

o select "Treiber" slider, click on "Treiberdetails" - which one is displayed?

If I click on "Treiberdetails" it says "Es sind keine Treiberdateien für diesen Dienst erforderlich oder es wurden keine Treiberdateien gefunden"

(There are no driver files necessarily for this serve or there are no driver files found)

...but my version ends a bit different:

o click on "Aktualisieren..."

o select "Nein, Diesmal nicht" and "Weiter"

o select "Software von einer Liste..." and "Weiter"

o select "Folgende Quellen ebenfalls durchsuchen..." and "Durchsuchen"oo select the directory          o ez-usb/driver within the mbhp_usb package

-select the directory with the 2 .sys and the .inf files

-select "continue"

-look at the result:

https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/matthiaspri/usb-module/defaultskin?view=miniatur

I've tried it on a Win98 PC, but somehow there are no .sys files visible. They are on an usb-stick, but i can't see them...

matthias

It seems that windows has detected a USB device, but wasn't able to get the vendor ID. This means in other words, that the connection between your USB host and the MBHP_USB module is still not stable, or that anything which is related to windows itself prevents the module to transmit the ID.

Something which could help is to try another USB port. Not because the other doesn't work, but because this will force windows to re-install the driver. If this doesn't help, then it's definitely a hardware problem.

Win98: propably on this PC the "hide system files" option is enabled, you need to turn it off somewhere on the option panel of the file explorer

It would be very interesting to know, if the module works with another PC

It maybe also makes sense to search in the internet for postings about this issue, e.g. with "ez-usb winxp" I found some interesting ones...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi, Thorsten,

well, it's the same with another USB-port

(Windows: device is installed...can be used now.../...Ez-usb-panel: nothing detected)

but I've managed to install a driver on the Win98 PC. And i've choosen the wrong driver

(Ez-usb-panel: nothing detected)

because there are more then one Cypress drivers that I can choose:

they all start with

Cypress EZ-USB

then there are some possibilities:

(2121S/2125S)-EEPROM MISSING

(2122S)-EEPROM MISSING

(2126S)-EEPROM MISSING

(2131Q/2131S/2135S)-EEPROM MISSING

(2136S)-EEPROM MISSING

(2225)-EEPROM MISSING

(2226)-EEPROM MISSING

(2235)-EEPROM MISSING

(2236)-EEPROM MISSING

FX2(68613)-EEPROM MISSING

FX2 Development Board

Development Board

Sample Device

That's it.

Do you know which one I've got to take or should I just try them all out ?

...Or should I throw it out of the Window?

matthias

Hi Matthias,

it's very interesting, that the other PC detects the USB chip! Would be interesting, if the OS version, or the USB host is the reason.

However, I think that the  "(2131Q/2131S/2135S)-EEPROM MISSING" selection is the right one, but I guess that it doesn't really matter, because all of them are pointing to the same driver file. It's propably only the device description that you are selecting here

Best Regards, Thorsten.

O.k. I give up.  :'(

I've never thought that loading firmware on a EEPROM can be that hard.

But I think that the best way to end this story, is if I accept your very friendly offer:

If all these hints don't help, then just send me the module so that I can check it with my own equipment (not to my postal address, but to a packstation - I will mail you this address if required) - for me it would be interesting to learn, which errors can be made, this will help next users who are facing the same issue.

...if it's still standing. I'll pay all the package costs, for sure.

just mail me your adress and I'll send it to you.

MfG Matthias

Edited by SLP

• 2 weeks later...

Good news on this topic: it turned out, that the USBD- and +5V line was swapped (in Matthias version, the USB socket is monted on a panel, five cables are wired to MBHP_USB module.

This especially explains the strange effect, why windows temporary regognized an unknown USB device when the jumper was disconnected - swapping data with power lines isn't a good idea ;-)

However, the cypress chip has survived this torture, the 100 nF cap is doing his job well, MIDI is up&running :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.