building stuff on breadboard / matrix board ...the easy way... (MBHP DIN Exmple)

Artesia

If you are new to building circuits on breadboard... or have a nightmare of a time getting a circuit layed out on one.. the following approach maybe helpful to you....

the following example is of a MBHP DIN board (yup, i ran out of pre made PCB's)

Firstly it is probably easiest to use the breadboard variety which has copper strips split into pad sections which cover 3 holes each.. this will save alot of cutting tracks with drills..etc. The below example did not require any track cutting.

Secondly keep in mind that attempting to produce all of the connections on the breadboard itself, creates far more work, confusion & opportunity for errors than many of us have the patience for.

It is best to limit the connections directly produced on the breadboard.. to those which are simple.. ie: those which occur in groups.. for instance connection points, resistor arrays, & power + data lines where viable.

Here's how the DIN Board was done:

ics1qn.gif

ic10qb.gif

Stage 1 (ic sockets & basic connections):

Start by soldering the chip socekts bridging over two sets of tripads. Then solder the connection points j3 -j10 on the next set of tripads to the chips they connect to. Bridge the connections from the chips to the connection points, where they connect directly - as per circuit diagram. With regards to j1 & j2  - which carrys data + power into & out of the board; add the connection points for these right next to where they connect to, on the first & last chips (IC1 pins 9,1,2,15,16 - IC2 pins  10,1,2,15,16) (this saves alot of re-routing with cables; just for the sake of having them grouped togeather in one connector).

Stage 2 (resistors & their +5v supply):

With j3, j5, j7 & j9 connect the earth connection of each chip (pin 8/vss) to the respective earth pin of each 'j' connector by soldering a 'L' shape on the pads.

Next solder in place all of the 'pull up' resistors r1-32 (one leg) next to the 'j' connectors. Following this connect all of the loose legs on the top side togeather in one long row (as in second picture). connnect the two rows of resistors togeather on the top side as in 2nd picture. Next solder in place r33-36 (connects to pin 10 / SER of each chip). Connect the 2nd leg of each to the top side rail created by the other resistors.

Next solder a wire (use one of the resistor leg trimmings) to the resistor rail & then to pin 16 (vdd) of IC1 - this will now hook the resistors upto the +5v they need.

st1a3ju.jpg

st1b1dm.jpg

Stage 3 (earth connections):

Next connect the earth connections for j3, j5, j7 & j9 togeather with wire links. Then connect from each of these points to the earth connections for j4, j6, j8 & j10.

st28jv.jpg

Stage 4 (serial chain connections between chips):

Connect pin 10 (ser) of IC1 to pin 9 (QH) of IC2.

Connect pin 10 (ser) of IC2 to pin 9 (QH) of IC3.

Connect pin 10 (ser) of IC3 to pin 9 (QH) of IC4.

st35vh.jpg

Stage 5 (SC & RC Connections):

Connect pin 1 (LD) & 2 (CLK) (two sepperate wires) of IC1 to pin 1 & 2 of IC2.

Connect pin 1&2 of IC2 to pin 1 & 2 of IC3.

Connect pin 1&2 of IC3 to pin 1 & 2 of IC4.

st3b4nr.jpg

Stage 6 (capacitors):

This was probably best done at stage 2 ! :)

Solder in place c1-4 each connecting to pin 15 & 16 (VDD & CL1) of IC1-4.

Use 100nf or so, i chose to also use one 100uf electrolytic capacitor out of my own preferences.

st46rg.jpg

Maybe also cover the resistors on top of the board with a strip of insulation tape to prevent +5v touching the inputs !

All should now be finished ! :)

• 2 years later...

OOOPS! I think you're right. I was looking at the AIN kit parts. Now I am looking at the DIN kit parts I'm pretty sure and there are these little things that look like they could resistor packs. (they're like a little black hot dog with 6A103G written on them and 6 legs on the bottom). When I put these in the board everything made a LOT more sense. WHY would smash TV include all the extra holes then?? And does the resistor pack work just fine - there's DEFINITELY no need for the individual resistors?

Here's what my board looks like with everything stuffed, not soldered yet. Is this right? (see image:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/etbsky/Midibox#5297528954166582082