PS2 dualshock joysticks

5meo-geo

hello all

just want to share some info that still havent poop up here  ;)

everybody know those.........

Dualshock2.jpg

well i had few of those broken at home and i thought "hmmm lets check those thingies"

desoldered the joysticks and here is specs....

2x 10k pots (x/y)

1 microswitch

centralised (centralising spring can easily be removed)

since then i aleady brake apart 3 joysticks!!!!

its seems sony desinged those for MB's

boom

BIG BIG EDIT ----> Stuff I'm talking about was original PlayStation crap. (unless the controllers are all the same)

5meo-geo,

FWIW, I ran across a circuit a while back for a DIY 16F84-based PS joystick to MIDI adapter, for anyone who hasn't already found it.

http://kaele.com/~kashima/games/bmconv/index-e.html

No broken sticks here, but I've got a nice busted up PS body with the sockets. ;D

-George

Jidis i think all controlers r simular

ive took apart also Sony original's and also some cheap faked Taiwan clones and sticks have same properties

and sticks usaly dont brake in those controlers :D

remmember they made for gamers

i had perfectly working controler with loosen spring (got it from dumpster) and thats usualy the BIG failure for controller :D

tel3 plz check it out with xbox also :D

it will be cool to have different sorces for those little cuties :D

oh btw tel3 when i tried to measure them onboard they gave me wierdo values

so u better disolder them before u measure

Thanks! That one in your picture looks exactly like my gray one, but I don't think my 5 year old nephew would be too happy with me if I killed his beloved "dragon" game to get at the pots. I've got a really cool AppleII stick somewhere that looks like one of those fancy skinny ones on a surround console or something. Need to find that thing.

George

PS- That %$!# Spyro game makes me want to throw up like Alex on Clockwork Orange. I don't know if it's the voices or the fast paced 3D landscapes, but I can get sick just thinking about it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes very simple indeed. Just find the 3 pins for each axis (which is very simple if you're not drunk  ;D) and connect them to AIN just like any pot / fader / joystick.

If I remember well, the middle pin is the Vout, and of course the two other are 5v / ground.

;)

Well the controllers sample the joystick movements and do an ADC on them and send a digital serial signal, so it's no longer something that can be handled by an AIN... I've got some plans to do a nintendo controller interface later on (much later) which would be easily adapted to sony or whatever but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you! ;)

I've got some plans to do a nintendo controller interface later on (much later) which would be easily adapted to sony or whatever but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you! ;)

Now what would be a good excuse to give my son when I take his controller to a gig..hmmm..  :D