PS2 dualshock joysticks

5meo-geo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hi

has anybody opened the conrad joysticks to remove the spring?

The ones i have are different from those pictured by Phattline, mine have the switch sitting beside (outside) the little box containing the mechanism

the spring is contained in the bottom of the box and i haven t been able to reach it

i would spare a broken joystick if anybody has already done that

simone

hi

let s see if they are the same: the spring in mine is contained between a bigger white piece of plastic and a black "cap" that can move vertically inside the white piece, right in the bottom of the joystick , don  t ask for photos cause my camera decided to stop working without asking my permission, anyway.. removing the black part implies spoiling, if a little, some little pins that will retain the black part from "jumping off" the white part.I managed to take apart the whole thing and remove the spring but i couldn t do a perfectly clean job.

I was also wondering if anybody has just shortened the spring instead removing it so that you can have a "no auto centering" joystick but still the pressure feeling of the center position.

simone

ok

here is my experience:

this is for the joystick sold at conrad (the cheapest one, ps2 style) pn: 425608

open the four little brakets/legs in the bottom using a 1.5 mm flat screwdriver or similar, beware: only one chance, if you try to reopen the case again the legs will probably break.

push the white plastic part apart from the metal case.

inside the white part there is the black part, the spring is contained inside there

there are 4 rails where the inner black plastic part moves inside the white one, in between 2 of those rails you can see a little fissure, stick the screwdriver (you need a very small one) in that fissure and push, gently the black part out of the white part, probably you ll break, if a little bit, a little pin that keeps the black part from being thrown out by the spring

remove the spring and trim it so that it will be just about 5mm deep (about 1 and a half turn), this will keep the joystick free from autocentering but not wobbling

put everything together, there you go

simone

• 6 months later...

does anybody want some used ps2 or xbox or gamecube buttons/joysticks?  i have a pair of ps2 joystick sitting around waiting for my midibox.  i know the ps2 controllers have 2-10k pots and a switch all mounted in the assemblies.  i can test the pots with my DMM to make sure they are good before i send a set out to whoever.

• 2 months later...