MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox SID of Jack)

TK.

This nice little box has been made by Jack, he wrote:

I have just finished my SID syntheziser and I thougt you might want to see the result :)

I tried to keep it simple and small, but yet stylish.

I managed to push all the vital modules + 8x banksticks in to this Porsche Lacie case. The holes have been done with my small milling machine. The display is a 2x20 OLED.

You are free to publish these pictures wherever you want, but please let me know where.

Thank you for a wonderful project!

Jack - they are here (and soon in the gallery :))

The case looks really great, are they only available with the appr. hard disc drive?

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

Thanks, Thorsten!

As can be read, this case has been taken from a Lacie Porsche portable 80GB USB hardrive. I believe the case was designed only for this hardrive. The modern Lacie models looks pretty much the same, but are a bit lower. Felt kind of wrong to rip the case of a working 80GB hardrive, which i bought for about €100 a couple of years ago. But now when the project is finished, I have no regrets :)

The case was a perfect starting point for my SID project because it was simple, stylish and really easy to mill. Most of the case is some kind of thick plastic material, while the bottom is aluminium.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Greets from Sweden.

I would have countersunk those screw holes.
I sort of like 'em myself. ;D Gives it kind of an "industrial" flavor (as long as the slots aren't sharp). I guess it's one of those "different strokes" deals.

That is a cool style too. I like the contrast between the black/green screen and the silver. I had no idea the top half of that case wasn't metal. :o I've got a Lacie ultrawide SCSI here which looks almost the same but it's the standard beige metal from back when computers were color-impaired. I'm in the process of getting the internal out now and using it as a single drive in my G4, since it's the only machine with an ultra card and it doesn't deserve any of my beloved IDE's. >:(

I'll have the case leftover for however long it stays in there, but I don't have enough need for a SID to go carving it up. (I'm only a drummer ;) )

Be glad you got a good IDE to USB circuit out of it (useful item). Hope it's 2.0! ::)

-George 

• 4 weeks later...