New boards are ready, but there is an issue....

smashtv

Tim,

What shows do you do (i believe it's arcade and pinball if i am right?) i would love to see some pictures.

And your service it's most excellent. People should consider that you are running a non commercial shop. But you deliver such a good job that new people think you do run commercially. So you can forgive them for asking those idiotic questions. I know i would have done it if i was new here.

Keep up the good work and i might place an order in the future  ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim,

What shows do you do (i believe it's arcade and pinball if i am right?) i would love to see some pictures.

Actually these are full-blown rock show style production, minus big lighting (daytime+outdoors)

I'm a partner in a production co. in Dallas, and while we specialize in video production (http://www.avicreative.com) we also have a sound system and moving lights. 

We call that "division" AVI Showtech, and we started it mostly to go do shows and have fun with the gear......Now it's more like work with these last minute shows (did not have time to find loaders for the first show, 2.5 tons + for just the mains and I'm still recovering several days later!)

But the money is decent (already spent on more PA gear), the shows are fun, and I can't put into words how good it feels to have 20k+ clean watts on the gas pedal (main fader).....ya just don't get that on the club gigs...  ;D

The coinop stuff (arcade and pinball) almost seems like a past life these days, still have a garage full of games for when the stress level peaks....Naturally one of those is an original Williams SmashTV upright.  ;)

Best

Smash

Hmm going very off topic now but i cannot resist.

Man is that you with the ponytail hahaha nice going i like the word pyrotechnician. So you may set things on fire for a living how awsome is that. (assuming that that is you).

You have an very nice day job. I would trade instantly.

As for the arcade suff we are going to discuss this privately a bit more when i start building my cabinet :)

Cheers,

Jeffry

HOLY JEEZ!! I'M WEEPING!

There was talk before of including cable, was that just for people who had reships because of the lost shipment?  Do we need to provide our own ribbon cable.

I DID look on smashtv's site and the cables are not listed, but i remember something about them being included from the forum a whlie ago.

So i am just clarifying.

There was talk before of including cable, was that just for people who had reships because of the lost shipment?  Do we need to provide our own ribbon cable.

Again, I can't speak (either officially or unofficially) for Smash, but I believe that deal was only for people affected by the lost shipment. Cable's easy to buy and not that expensive. The mere fact that the headers are now DIL makes buying it a joy compared to soldering the SIL headers for an entire box. :)

-drin

Again, I can't speak (either officially or unofficially) for Smash, but I believe that deal was only for people affected by the lost shipment. Cable's easy to buy and not that expensive. The mere fact that the headers are now DIL makes buying it a joy compared to soldering the SIL headers for an entire box. :)

-drin

Yes.  A joy.  Do you need to attach the little pluggy things to the wire yourself?  or are these standard type cables.

i am newbie!

Yes.  A joy.  Do you need to attach the little pluggy things to the wire yourself?  or are these standard type cables.

i am newbie!

You need to attach them yourself. Easy, if you can keep the cable straight. The connectors work with "vampire" teeth, no need even to strip wire-ends. Look at the LCD-cable PDF in the LCD module section on uCApps, very detailed description with pics there (not exactly the same, but similar enough).

Cheers,  Alex.

Wahoo the store's open!! :D

Just in time, too.. I just finished my SID with a control surface A, tested it (it works!), and tried to tighten up my mounted encoder with some superglue.. let's just say now I need a new one (and more) ;).

I'll link a couple of short video clips soon to show what I'm up to if anyone is interested.

Making good on this promise/threat.....  ;D

http://www.avicreative.com/AVIShowtechTX/

I'm processing orders now, I'll update the status page this evening to reflect all in process orders... :)

It's still a one-man thing here, nothing about it is automatic, but I'll do me best to get some verification emails out tonight also.  (Using Hotmail or the other freemails?  You probably won't even see my mails....Bad on them lately blackholing emails from people who are not known spammers)

I will have to be slow about the store stuff still for a couple of weeks due to more of the activities seen in the video, but I'm hoping for things to level out a bit soon.  Meanwhile it's looking like a shipping department here more than an office with all of the incoming parts.

Best Regards (and thanks!)

SmashTV

Checked in today on the store, and see a shipment coming soon to Houston, TX! Thanks, Smash - I hope that's mine.

EDIT: Smash, I have modified my design a bit, and so It turns out that I need two DINx4 boards after all (added some encoders to the mix). Can I add another board to my current order still?

Don.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to write in and say that I received my parts from Mr. TV yesterday, and : WOW. That had to be one of the most professional packing jobs I have ever seen. Every kit comes individually wrapped so that the parts for each piece are kept seperate until you are ready to work with them, and the PCBs are all shrink-wrapped together in a nice tight brick.

Went out and bout a 5v wall-wart today, 2.4 amps of power goodness which should be enough to run everything. Also bought a smaller soldering iron for the detail work.

Seriously, Tim - thanks for the excellent presentation.

Another update: I built the core module and 1 din tonight, and they went together perfectly.

To solder, I used a cheap little clips/magnifier stand. I taped the items to the top surface and worked from beneath, with a small, pointy 40 watt iron and a 60/40 solder.

Many thanks again to Tim - without his service, I couldn't have done this.

Tomorrow I'll get a USB/MIDI interface and start testing the core, but it all looks golden under the glass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well someone has to be the first to ask...Hey Smash are you going to stock the new IIC_MIDI module? :)

Yes.  I'm still working on the burner for the 'f88, but I have all the parts collected and a ZIF socket ready to add to my JDM dedicated PC.  ;)

The IIC boards would probably already be on the shelf now if I had not submitted -two- layouts for proto with bonehead errors in them, I have to say TK and Mike have an amazing amount of patience!  My attention to detail apparently slipped as my schedule ramped up recently.  :-\

I'm working to get caught up with orders now, as soon as I get closer to goal on that I'll gear up for the gerber file conversion madness that comes with a new PCB run.  :)

Best

Smash

Smash I hope you don't mind that I go public with this, but I've received my order in no time flat, and it's arrived in the best packaging and the best condition I've ever received anything in the mail. Do you bribe the couriers or what?!  ;)

If I had one complaint it would be that it's too well packed, I had to go and get a knife  ;D (as opposed to some of the international shipping I've seen where you can sneeze on the box and it falls open) hehehehehe

Do you bribe the couriers or what?!  ;)

As much as possible!    ;D  They are quick on this end, but the speed loss/gain is in the last mile (your local carrier).  Most are suprisingly fast, but then you get the random one to Portugal that shows up more than a month after it is sent.  It helps that I use the post office at the airport, skipping a few steps of route/sort.

If I had one complaint it would be that it's too well packed, I had to go and get a knife  ;D (as opposed to some of the international shipping I've seen where you can sneeze on the box and it falls open) hehehehehe
hehe I'm sure they are a bit of a pain to open!  I pack them ready to stay intact even if soaked in water, or other abuse.  I have seen every way imaginable of doing it wrong after a decade plus of recieving parts, and the "slacker packers" in the coin op biz were the worst. 

One of my favorite movie scenes ever is from Ace Ventura, where he's undercover as a UPS delivery driver....  ;D

Best

Smash