Analogue Drum Modules

Jaicen

Sorry no, Just spare parts for the MIDI mod so i can MIDI up my DR 110 :(

I'm looking around now for etching services, I can't work with chemicals at all :(

Even the solder when i'm soldering makes my fingers get a rash

I did look at the iron on stuff but somebody told me that they are rubbish

It's a bugger really because i really want to have a go at Hallucinogens project but if i cant get the layouts and schematics from a CAD package then no commercial place will make the boards DOH

That in turn means i may aswell do the layout again and sort of defeats the point of doing his project hahahahah

Hopefully i will find somewhere that will do small runs off the artwork :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well guys I have some good news and some bad news now. Starting with the bad, my girlfriend just dropped my near mint DR-110 taking a chunk out of the casing. None of the sounds work anymore either. Suffice to say i'm leaving her as soon as possible.

I've consoled myself by getting stuck into my clones. I did a couple of mods to the 110 kick i've been working on. It now has controls for decay (with self oscillation possible at high settings) as well as pitch. Combining the two controls allows anything from short punchy to long and flammy and everything in between. I think it would be nice to be able to improve the 'attack' sound, which is basically just the +5v trigger pulse being passed by a cap to the output. Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the sound sample below. This is the kick being triggered from my 110 (accent stilll works) with some knob twiddling. No processing except a little eq and normalisation.

http://media.putfile.com/DR-110-Kick-with-mods

EDIT: It occured to me to mention that you may want to turn down your speakers a little, there's a lot of low frequency in the sound sample which could damage your speakers at high levels!

Well guys I have some good news and some bad news now.

Sorry about the bad news man. Hope it's not too hectic there right now. Hey she probably feels really bad man, don't be too harsh... But then again sometimes things aren't so rosey  ::)

Hey the sample is a hot tease man, I need schematics ;D

Ok guys, as requested i've knocked up a copy of the schem complete with my mods. I decided to stop the self oscillating by moving the pitch control to the left of the 333 cap.  The decay control on the emmiter of the transistor is more a damping control, as resistance increases, the decay decreases.

The resonance control is pretty subtle. as it's increased, the attack is smoothed off slightly and the decay increases a little. I think I prefer this to the overly long decays on the previous sample. I'd like to increase the decay a little more, but I don't think it's possible without adding a better input trigger shaping control. As it stands, long decays = lost attack.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!

EDIT - I forgot, the new sound sample is here: http://media.putfile.com/NewDemo It's slightly compressed to get a consistent level as it's tuned upwards.

11110435392-thumb.gif

Is there anyway to control the pitch on that bass with a CV ?

It would be a cool bass generator for drum n bass :)

Sorry i don't know too much about electronics i'm a tinkerer hehehe, I was just wondering if you could replace the 10k pot of the pitch directly with a little circuit that took a CV and converted it to resistance ?

Or would it need a complete redesign to use voltages rather than resistance ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question :(

Oh just wanted to add that i can't stand that putfile crap, It always ends up gone in the long term and this should all be preserved for future new users because it's great stuff.

If you want some space to post your demos and schems let me know

I already host some for Xbox and i have a hell of a lot of space for my business ;)

I'm happy enough to write a little page about your project if you like ?

Actually, I can't say I've read through all that myself, it lost me after a bit.

I imagine it would be a fairly simple operation to convert the pitch to CV using a variable resistance.

This page describes a fairly simple mod to allow CV control over the DR-110 sounds. I started my project with the info on this page.  http://www.hoohahrecords.com/resfreq/mods/dr110/hihat.html

:o

This page describes a fairly simple mod to allow CV control over the DR-110 sounds

nice one, just what i've still been looking for, now i got three in a row ;) and your right, this one is quite simple

NAS if nothing goes wrong, i'll put some stuff about CV-modding on the wikiii

So DrBunsen, did you get the CR68 or not? I'm eager to see what's inside it!

Just a quick bit of an update regarding my modules. I've built and tested the pcb I designed for the DR-110 snare. I can report that it does work, sort of. The 'tone' portion works just as it should with a nice range of pitches which could be quite useful for toms or whatever. The 'noise' part of the circuit also works, but it's not quite right. It's a bit quiet with the noise circuit i'm using (the DR-55 noise circuit).

I'm going to try subbing in some different transistors, as I don't think the ones i'm using are quite right when used for switching. It all looks to be on track tho.

I swear the price of those 606's has gone mental these last few months. I was going to get one just after christmas when I got outbid with three seconds to go at £70, which was about the going rate at the time. Now I look at them on ebay and the starting price is £100! THere's one on sound on sound for £190?! WTF?

I've noticed a tendency for eBay to do that... I think maybe one person lists an item and then another owner sees it and thinks "I might list mine now" or something...

Anyway I'm obviously a worse eBayaholic than you cause I posted that last night in the Toys thread ;) heheheh

I gotta sleep sometime :D

Anyway, on a more serious note, I've just joined the yahoo groups simmonsdrums and tr-707.   The latter has some -very- interesting stuff in its file folder - M-64C schematic for instance.

/edit/ there's some good schematics in the simmonsdrums group's folder.  One of the members is working on a complete redraw of the (unreadable) original schematics, working from actual units.  He's also piped up recently about cloning and modding of Simmons modules.

I gotta sleep sometime :D

Lord knows I don't, my stats for this board show that I post at all hours of the day  :o

Yours is pretty busy too mate, but your most posted time is 4am! You work nightsift or soemthing?

Thanks for the tips on those groups, I'm gonna join up :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so :)

I plan to build a bunch of Midibox controlled synth and fx bits, I'll certainly be uploading source and schematics and boards for everything I do, so the drum/percussion-focussed stuff (which will be most of it) will go there :)