Analogue Drum Modules

Jaicen

Looking good guys!

I'm still working hard at these modules, i'm just having a few difficulties with the DR-110 snare noise portion. I think I've resolved the problem, I just need to check it (later today hopefully).

Layouts for the instruments are done, except the digital noise/chime section for the hats. I'm also cloning a complete DR-55, not just the kick & rim, as i've just found the trigger points in my TR-505. I've always wanted a 55, so i'm building these four voices into a standalone box triggered from the 505.

I notice the info is still to be entered into the Wiki, but the trigger points are as follows:

R80 - Kick

R75 - Snare

R2 - Clap/Rim

R69 - Cowbell

R68 - Conga

R63 - Hats

R62 - Ride/Crash

R60 - Toms

EDIT: DR-110 is working as per the layout. The noise source I was using was too quiet so I tried it with the digital noise from my real DR-110 and it worked fine.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the guys in the music collective/label thing I work with occasionally has piped up about modding a preset boom-cha rhythm box of his, an ARISTA SM200  Turns out it's the same as one of mine, which I've been meaning to mod for ages, so we're going to get stuck in to it. 

I've added a link to the schematic to the wikipage.  It's got a nice kick, a bloopy sort of tom/clave sound, and a noise snare.

Oh and stryd.....Rockby are selling them for $20  - 6 left.

Looks like a good deal to me! Shame it's not in the UK, I think shipping would be overly expensive.

how many sounds does it have??

EDIT: I finished the layout for the DR-55 voice board tonight. It includes all four voices on a 4.9x2.2" board, but does not include the noise generator or accent/output buffers yet. I'm aiming to fit it all into a 5.5 x 3.5" board to fit in my chosen enclosure, so it's looking good. 

Hey everyone,

Trying to catch up with these projects

I have a few question:

I 'm planning to do Hallucinogen 808 clone Voices and (maybe some 9090 voices as well)

in the same box with an integrated MBSEQ

1. using DOUTx4 to trigger voices do I need another DOUTx4 module to trigger leds at the same time ?

2. Is MBSeq respond to outside midi message from Soft sequencer for example to trigger play patterns ? (if yes I don't need to implant simple midi to my box)

3. How do u manage the PSU for voices AND PSU for core module in the same box ?

4. Can MIOS be programmed to do the job :) ?

Sorry for all the question a once

Tx & lets keep up the good work !

hi

1. using DOUTx4 to trigger voices do I need another DOUTx4 module to trigger leds at the same time ?

you can make a a small circuit (led+transistor? check cgs.synth.net for "led driver") which you can connect directly to the triggers, but maybe there an easier way?

2. Is MBSeq respond to outside midi message from Soft sequencer for example to trigger play patterns ? (if yes I don't need to implant simple midi to my box)

i don't understand you completly; but mbseq can be controlled by midi; the specs are on the mbseq pages

also keep in mind hallucinogen's design also uses another core+doutx4 module running MIDIO128 for triggering the drumvoices. if you want to keep it minimal you could skip the whole mbseq and play the modules with your soft seq (but then you won't have accent (signal from mbseq cv out))

3. How do u manage the PSU for voices AND PSU for core module in the same box ?

there is a design on hallucinogens site

cheers, marcel

I hope that wasn't a hint Stryd ;)

Be patient. I spoke to Hallucinogen a while ago, he took a few weeks to get back to me I think. I think the PSU link was working, i'm sure I've seen it. It's really not a big deal. If you can build the modules, the PSU should be no sweat!

yeah people, have some more patience; some people have other things to do in the real world  ;) btw hallucinogen is very helpful

slcrz; there are examples here too for instance the opl3 psu >>can be modified to give bipolar 15 volt instead of 12; 

northernlightx was designing a psu aswell.

off you go... ;D

I hope that wasn't a hint Stryd ;)

Be patient.

Nah no hint, just a big pet-hate of mine  :-\

My apologies, I must have mis-read the date on the previous post, I thought it'd been a couple of months since slcrz sent the first email... I didn't mean to seem impatient, I just screwed up :( sorry!

But yeh, it's only been a week slcrz, you're not waiting long enough.

tx for the support answers...

I'm going to be patient ... anyway it's not like i'm in a rush or something :)

i'll focus on my HH section

I'm a real novice in DIY and

I was just a bit scared of not being able to complete this project,

but I see that there are cool people willing to help,

so Im going to take it slow.

thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Good stuff Doc!

I've got a PC2 clone myself actually (an AMDEK PCK-100) which I usually trigger from the accent out on my DR-110. Can't say I use it all that much myself, but it's a nice circuit to have if you're building a set of analogue drums for sure. Is that noise generator mod intended to be added to the PC-2?? Looks like it is from the schematics, I wonder what that sounds like. I imagine you could get some nice snare sounds if you filtered the noise as well.

Sorry I'm not getting in there yet doc... I'm kinda flat out right now, I think I'd be more of a hindrance than a help :( But thanks heaps, the drumstuff page is looking fan-freakin-tastic!!!

At the very least, I promise to make you some of the best drum synth patches you ever heard, once it's all done :)

WOA... What the hell took me so long to show up in this thread?

RE: Hallucinogen's 808 clone:  the PSU schematic is MIA and Sebastian didn't have them available when I asked months ago.  I've actually got a set of his boards all etched, stuffed and wired on my bench now.  It really does sound like the original, kick drum in particular. 

Now, as for his clone becoming "vaporware" I would agree that Sebastian seems very busy with other endeavors (when was the last time he posted here?).  The good news is that I took it onto myself to continue work on the project, specificaly creating a layout in eagle that combines the 808 analog section with a MBSEQ with all the proper modifications to work like the 808.  ETA about 2 weeks and I will be gearing up to do a run of boards. 

I've also been working on my 9090 PCB's I got from Trevor this winter.  Good stuff there.

I will also then have layouts for all the instruments in eagle format, most of which will fit in the 100x80mm size of the free program if you all would like to tweak them ;)

Hmm, tough act to follow there Moogah!

How about this then?? I've got all the voices from the DR-55 & DR-110 cloned now almost ready for prototyping. I still need to add the noise generators and voltage regulator to the main PCB, but it's almost there! You can check a component overlay here: (Measures approx 6x5" which is not bad!)

17820412310-thumb.gif

If it looks strange, its because I did the layouts in a modular fashion then stitched them together as it were. I'll give you all an update when it's done. I have to open up my DR-110 first to check the schematic, as I suspect that there's some filtering missing from the snare noise source.

Anyway, what do you guys think??

Nice work!  It'll be some time before I have the motiviation to etch my own boards again, but building one of these sounds fun  :)  Have you considered the options with triggering?  If all it needs is a 5v pulse the seq I'm using on my 808 will work nicely  ;D

As far as I know, the circuits for both the DR  boxes can be triggered with +5v 10ms pulses so yeah they should work nicely with your design.

At the minute, none of my voices include accent, as the way that the DR's work it is to have an output amplifier with variable gain, depending on the accent setting. It would be possible to duplicate this 8 times for each voice, but i'm not sure how useful that would be. If it was being live, I guess it would be ok to have accent for the drums and one for the hats/cymbal. I'm not sure about any of this really, just thinking out loud.

• 2 weeks later...