Ableton Live controller concept

dengel

How did the test with the prototype go?

Better than I could have hoped. I mapped simple start-stop-cuebuttons to the KB, and just used the knobs to control the eqs, etc. 3 hours of playtime, and not a single hiccup. I have to say that all the hard work has been worth it.

It will definitely be nicer when all the real buttons are in place and I have the overlay on there in its oak case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are "Quantization jumps" - basically, they jump forward and back through a track by the current global quantization setting (1/2 bar, 1 bar, 4 bars, etc).

Updated, the case is built. I'm having some issues getting the CNC'd panel done though - that is my last hurdle. After that, I can do my write up/walkthrough and put this thing to bed!

Do you have a BPM pot/encoder? I'm planning on making something like this, but I don't what to use exactly when I want to do some DJ stuff.

It's mainly for effects in my band, but if I'm building it anyway, I want to be able to DJ with it too..

Yes, I do - look in the upper right corner for the master BPM. There's also a quant. encoder, and a scene select encoder ( the large knob next to the logo)

so what did you do in the end about the encoder, program it youself? (sorry if you've already said, its a while since i visited).

Meef, I'm not quite sure what you are asking about here? On the encoders, I just have autoprogrammed them in Ableton. I am still trying to work out the MIOS stuff to get the display to show what I want instead of the MIOS defaults.

Good news is that today I am going to the CNC guy, finally! That means that soon I will have the device finished completely, not just the prototype version. Can't wait!

Looking pretty good man, I am actually in the process of designing an Ableton controller as well, I was considering the keyboard hack method before I read this.  I'm glad I am seeing the pitfalls now, anyways my controller will be more of a dedicated efx controller that I would use in tandem with a mixer component i want to build afterwards. 

Anyways, I can't wait to see how it ends up looking I'll be sure to check it out, maybe you could post a vid of it in action.

ryan