New MIDIBox - Traktor/Ableton Controller

Katch

Nothing on the market quite seemed to fit the bill when I started looking for a control surface to handle Traktor and Ableton (along with many other VSTis and Music Apps). So I got to thinking, surely it can't be too hard to build a custom interface.... a few googles later and I find you guys.

Looks like much of the hard work has been done already so hopefully this should be a pretty straight forward project.

So here's the concept; (don't you love ctrl c & ctrl v)

box.jpg

32 Rotarys

8 Faders (2 actual technics pitch controller spares)

24 Buttons

5 LEDs

Right about here is where I start needing a little help;

Shopping list;

Core Module

2 x AIN Module

DIN Module

DOUT Module

32 Rotarys

8 Faders (2 actual technics pitch controller spares)

24 Buttons

5 LEDs

An Enclosure

A Power Supply

Your initial thoughts reactions and input would help a great deal.

Tnx

Hey Katch,

You seem to be on the right track.

A tip - if you're going to order the PCBs and or Kits from smashTv's site - take a look at the board layout on his site - very informative and also some of the jumpers have been moved around, so it's worth checking you have everything right from the get-go.

hi katch,

nice design, but traktor Version2 and a think traktor version 3 is not able to send midi message out from the computer to the controller, and that very bad, because i am building a controller like you, and i wan't to have

status led's and  LED VU Meter,

please look under design concept in this forum, there is my design ( not finfished and not build )

@all member: i need information about osc protocol, any idea's ?

after my holiday i will start.

greetings ranger930

nice design, but traktor Version2 and a think traktor version 3 is not able to send midi message out from the computer to the controller, and that very bad, because i am building a controller like you, and i wan't to have

status led's and  LED VU Meter,

Well in part that doesn't matter. You don't need Traktor to send MIDI messges to control the cue LEDs. Just let your MIDIBox application turn them on for you. So, instead of:

Button press---> MIDIBox app ---> Traktor ---> MIDIBox app ---> LED on

You have simply:

Button press ---> MIDIBox app ---> LED on

|

|

|

v

Traktor

The VU meter, however, won't work with Traktor because it doesn't send MIDI out messages. That part is true.

-drin

@katch:

the 2 fader from the  technics sl 1210mk turntables are linear ?

@drin:

yes i know, if i'm using the mouse too, i can do anything i want with the mouse , start,stop,.....,

the best thing is a real control from the computer, but not with traktor,

i have read something in native intruments forum about osc protocol ( english correct ? )

ni works on it to make traktor 3 able to send information out, i hope to get information about that

ableton can send midi messages ?

greetz ranger930

yes i know, if i'm using the mouse too, i can do anything i want with the mouse , start,stop,.....,

My point was that you don't need Traktor to control status LEDs.

i have read something in native intruments forum about osc protocol ( english correct ? )

ni works on it to make traktor 3 able to send information out, i hope to get information about that

NI can't even get recording to work right in Traktor 3! There's a HUGE thread on the NI forum about the recording bug, and MANY threads about the numerous bugs that have been present since 2.0 and still haven't been fixed!

I think having OSC is a dream - it won't happen in this version, and if by some miracle they do get it working it'll be so full of bugs it'll be unusable.

-drin

@katch:

the 2 fader from the  technics sl 1210mk turntables are linear ?

Yup, these should be ok right? I can even source the fader plates to build into my controller. I really like the idea of having a controller with pitch control which doesn't just feel like my turntables but actually is the same.

Hey, Katch! I'm also working on an Ableton controller. One thing that I'm wondering is how you intend to launch clips with the arrangement shown? Perhaps I have been using Ableton wrong all this time? :)

I see what looks like a single momentary over the fader channels - do you program everything into scenes? If so, do you use Ableton in a live setting much? I know of some ableton DJs that use a "MegaSet" and replace scenes by using the mouse. Just interested how you personally get around the inability to load new live sets on the fly W/O stopping audio?