The making of a Traktor 3 controller

Wise

Thanks lordmortis

Sure you can reuse my layout and boards, just tell me what you want. But have in mind that none of the pcb's, layout issues are tested IRL. I'm just in the design phase of this.

Also have in mind that i have not programed anything yet, but maybe you can do that yourself. Oh, and, 1 CORE is capaple to handle two deck controlls(loop, FX, transport) (due to the 128 DIN limit). So if you are going to have 4 decks, you must have 2 cores.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

First board etched :

PCB_transport.jpg

I'm realy satisfied with the result. The board is 100*180mm and is for the transport section of the controller.

Close up:

smd.jpg

The shiftregisters for DIN and DOUT are SM.

Some other components arrived. Enc's and long faders from VOTI, other from www.elfa.se (60mm ALPS fader and faderknob, thoose tactile rubberfeeling buttons with keycaps:

components.jpg

Tomorow i'm going to drill the board and mount some components to se if I have connected everything right  8)

Hopefully I'm coming back and report with a smile on my face tomorrow  :)

/Wise

ps. I'l fix the pictures in the earlier posts soon. My ISP moved to another location...

edit: fixed pictures

Hi!

Sorry for my late update. But I have not got the time to finish the board for test. Hopefully (again...) , I think I'll have the board ready for the first test on friday.

So far (300 holes and 25 jumpers):

PCB_transport_unfinished.jpg

Hehe, nice.

As I can see on this picture: (http://www.gavle.to/~wise/MIDIBOX/loop_test1.jpg), you use little buttons with plexiglass like-button caps.

Where did u buy these? And how do they look once in a case?

I'm looking for various ways of mounting some buttons in my own project, but the online shops and stores around here don't have much choice for cool-looking buttons. So was kinda planning of making something myself.

So...

I finished the board today so I can test it. I just stuffed the components needed for first basic test, and some connection cables. Hard to solder those SM chips after 11h at work.  :o ..... Tomorow I can run the first test, cross your fingers !

PCB_transport_unfinished_2.jpg

PCB_transport_unfinished_3.jpg

PCB_transport_unfinished_4.jpg

that's because it's really easy to cook the PCBs unless you're a dab hand with an iron....

the warnings are there so newbies don't kill their chips.

there is actually a school of thought that says it's a much better idea to solder ics to the pcb rather than using sockets.

I allways use sockets, I'm pretty good with an iron, but given the risks I'd rather use a socket and be fairly confident the ic is in good shape.

Pardon me, but on every page about the PCB's I see in big screeming letters that you should not mount chips directly on a PCB, but use some chip-sockets for that. Why are you not using sockets?

I'm using SMD to save some PCB space.... sooo tight onthis PCB as you can see  ;)

For everyones pleasure, I can tell you that the transport module work (and at first try) !! DIN, DOUT and encs

Q: How happy am I ?

A:  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now it's just to decide what colour on the leds I want and solder the rest of the buttons. Then fabricate all other PCB's.

I just saw you ordered some 100 mm faders from Voti, how's the quality of these?

Dont going to use this faders in this project.But they feels quite Ok. Actualy I have not tested them at all, but it's a nice smooth travel.

Now to bed and see if I can get some sleep... 8)

• 1 month later...

Wow, just stumbled upon this tread. I was about to suggest the female usb connector for goose-neck lamp as those are easier to find and probably cheaper. Second, kill switches that Rogic mentioned can be worked out via:

- software (in your MIOS app)

- hardware (toggle push switch that would connect the gnd to the corresponding pot's "output pin")

I'd go with the (simple software sollution)

About those buttons and frontpannel and...well...everything: Prrrrrrr.

• 8 months later...

Ok.. here we go again  :)

After one year in sleep i thought i had to work on this again.. Guess what some call life came in the way.. well...

Some work has been done lately. I got all the acrylic caps CNC drilled and laser cutted. And I have finished the spacers för the rectangular buttons. I promise it wont take a year again for an update  :o

knappar1.jpg

Got some work done today.

Finished the first transport PCB (almost, the only thing thats missing is the square button caps):

transport.jpg

ledcap.jpg

ledcap2.jpg

25/100 of the acrylic caps, sanded and ready to mount:

caps.jpg

The only thing that pisses me of is that I can't make a testrun with this baby untill late tomorow or saturday  >:(