High quality 3 axis trackball assemblys with TTL output on ebay

Rowan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the trackball working now. I got a £6 USB mouse with a scrollwheel and wired it all up and it works a treat! I Had to mess around with the mouse tracking/scrolling speeds to get good results but it it's working very nicely.

The wires are as follows:

Red      +5V

Black    Ground

Yellow  Digital Out 1

Orange  Digital out 2

It will happly work off USB buss power.

Have fun ;D

Rowan

Yup, it's for the 3 Axis trackball. Make sure you use a mouse with a ball, not an optical one. It was very easy to do. I just had to work out which on the mouse encoders were the outputs and powersupply pins, then work out which way to connect up the yellow and orange wire. With little bit of trial and error I had it working in an hour.

Rowan

I stopped bidding on the last one because the price went through the freakin roof.. But it seems my eBay prediction was true... I suspected that the "last one" which was listed before, was not in fact the last one, but that there would be more. People bid like crazy on the last one, it went for like double-triple the price of the others, so I let them bid, and waited until the next one was listed... I'm sure I'll still have to fight it out but hopefully not to the tune of 70 bucks... Wish me luck!

I used Caig Cailube MCL to smoothen the ring. It's not really ideal for the job as it is designed for faders, but it was what I had at hand and in worked well.

I strongly suggest that all MIDIboxers invest in a can of this stuff, it will make faders and pots slide like a dream.

Rowan

I hate that... Tell you a story while we wait for the auctions to finish ;)

I see a pair of Roland RC-100's on the 'bay, cheap, and they're new old stock no less, and being an s760 and s550 owner I was like [glow=red,2,300]itching[/glow] (FYI you can use a tablet to draw waveforms and envelopes on a full size video monitor with these things)... The listing said that he was "Cleaning out the shed", but my gut told me he had more up his sleeve, and not being a multimillionaire, I was willing to wait for the cheap one... So I mail him and ask if he has more, and he of course says 'No, just those two'.

Bummed, I let the first one go to some dude in the USA, and bid on the 2nd one and won, which was all good... But he wasn't replying to my emails. Being the intrepid investigator that I am, I found his phone number and work address and called him up. The receptionist answers, and I ask for him, to which the response was "He's on training at the head office at the moment", which explained why he wasn't getting my emails, "but you can call him in the Roland office on this number".

"Cleaning out the Shed" indeed....sounds like he was taking advantage of his position as a Roland employee and cleaning out ROLAND's shed!

Anyway I emailed him and told him that I knew that he was on training until the end of the week, so I'd catch him after that... He got back, wrapped up the sale and we were all finished. He never mentioned anything about me finding his details and obviously catching him lying to me (and possibly stealing from or at least reselling for Roland) but hey... Maybe he's so daft he didn't even notice, or maybe he's so daft he thought I didn't notice ;)

And then the lying sucka listed another one....and another one....and then they were relisted for like forever with no bids.

Funny thing is, I was thinking about buying two; one for the s760, and one for the s550 (hey why not, I'm a massive gearslut after all). In the end, I was like SCREW that guy I am NOT buying from him again.. .So instead of making 200 out of me by being honest, he made 100, had to wait for ages to sell them, do twice as much packing, and meanwhile I found another one elsewhere ;D

Anyway getting back to this trackball dude, I noticed he's listed one with Buy it Now price the same as the biggest bid on the "last" one from before... Maybe this guy hasn't realised that people bid 50% more on that one because it appeared to be the last one, or maybe he thinks we're all that desperate... I know people on eBay are there to make money, but man doesn't it shit you when they're a lying snake to get it.... Ah well, he won't get it from this punter, I'll just spend the money I would have given him, on some other toy :D