MBLC: Are the Led-Bargraphs just gadgets or usefull?

rambinator

Hi there!

I'm evaluating if I should drop the led-bargraphs from my project or not. First I have been looking for ready made modules, but there are only 12digits all green and 10digits with green yellow and red. both not the best solution. Then I thought about building them myself glueing 12 rectangular leds together with sort of opaque layer between them to avoid diffusion.

Now I'm not shure if they're usefull at all or if they just add some mor gizmos to the disco inferno.

BTW: I'm using Sonar as my DAW

Your oppinion?

Hi,

the LEDs are useful, if you want to know if there is a signal on the channel or not.

In my case (yes, they are working with Cubase 3.x !!) I can see if there is a midi-Signal on the midi tracks and I see the audio level as well on audio tracks.

The output isn't really exact but you can see very quick how much signal there is on a specific channel

But you'll have to know: It is more an optical hint than a measure instrument.

Of course, the "disco inferno" is also a  good argument to have these controls ! (-;

If you just want a "control" function (signal or not), just glue two or three leds together (for example: low signal=green / High Signal=yellow / clip=red). It isn't as much effort than the whole LED Bargraph but you almost have the same funktions.

greets

Doc

well bought some of these rectangular leds today after work. they are not very well manufactured and it looks crappy if i glue them together. I am thinking about just using a prebuild bargraph (green+yellow+red) which only has 10 elements. would it be difficult to change the software for this purpose?

Check out

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=53e9a9093a3b6a9aadc7379d52229b86&topic=4909.msg30331#msg30331

The LEDs are simply mounted on veroboard which has been felt-tipped to make it black. The strip sections are then covered with the panel design which is also laminated. It's a LOT of soldering on a 2xLC box though over 350 LEDs to get fitting nicely and aligned straight.

Yes you could use one large piece of veroboard - the reasons I cut strips for the meters was mainly to save on board because I was running short but it was in my mind to do it like that originally so that it would be easier to take out a single strip if an LED fails etc. For the 'rings' I used strips because they fit between a panel mount encoder and an LED button on a small circuit board - all at differing heights. A single large board should be easier to fit for the meter bridge initially with a couple of screws etc.

On the bridge the strips are 2x24 - there is a 1 hole gap between each LED (this is a large box) so a thin strip of black PVC can be inserted if diffusion becomes an issue. The straight LED 'rings' are made with no gap between the LEDs - I've not actually got these wired up yet though because I'm currently wiring up the other box (due to finish the wiring today).