Dead Links in Wiki

Kink

Hi All,

I'm new to the board, although I've been following the progress of the MidiBox project for quite some time. I've finally gotten around to the point where I'd like to try my hand at building a couple of controllers, but I am finding that a large percentage of the links in the Wiki are dead. Just wondering if you are restructuring or what the deal is with that?

Thanks guys and I look forward to annoying you with stupid questions in the future :P

~kink

Hi,

One of the wonderful features of the Wiki is that You can edit the content by Yourself in non-destructive manner. This means that DEFINITELY dead links can be removed and those that need to be dug up again can be marked as non-working.

One of the problems we have here in the forum are the links formatted to former Yabb board which (of course?) don't work with current SMF and some double posts coming from board import to the new format.

I'd love to see somebody to come up with a fix - I wouldn't even bitch about forum being down then  ;D

Moebius

This means that DEFINITELY dead links can be removed

And take note of the word DEFINITELY.

To clarify -

If the link does not work and you cannot open it, that is NOT DEFINITELY DEAD

If nobody can get to the site but it was fine last time you checked that is NOT DEFINITELY DEAD

If nobody can get to the site and nobody has been able to for a month or so, then you can call it dead.

Here's what I suggest:

If you think a site may be dead please:

1) Mark the link as being broken with a searchable flag (Dead_Link) and provide a brief description of the problem, your login ID and a time/date stamp, EG "Dead_Link - Times out - stryd_one 0100 102306" or "Dead_Link - 500 error - moebius 2330 012910". Note US MMDDYY date formatting seeing as the US tend to rule these things  ;)

2) Enter an alternate link, either to a mirror, a similar page(s), the page on archive.org, or all of these.

Then

3a) If you see a link marked dead which is now OK, remove the annotation

or

3b) If you see a link marked dead which was marked a long time ago (month or more), by someone other than you, remove it, and perform step 2 above if necessary. Never remove a link that you marked as dead, it might just be you, and OK for everyone else!

Yes? No? Maybe?