a new "midi keyboard" concept...

bosone

hi!

in a flea market, i found an old playstation 1 joypad for 2.5 euro... it has a lot of buttons!

i opened it, removed all the chips, resistors, and so on, and i simply directl connected every single button to a midibox 64E DIN input using an old PC parallel port cable!

not too difficult, indeed!

now i use it to trigger notes events... a strange way to play but, neverthelss, funny and cheap! ;-)

JoypadController.JPG

JoypadController(1).JPG

JoypadController(2).JPG

PS: i assigned notes events to the different keys completely random, based on a natural C scale (C,D,E,F... no accidents). playing basslines and synth lines "randomly" may be inspiring!

actually, I've been exhibiting recently and there's also been an artist named Julian Oliver (see Fjiuu), that made a really nice piece using a PS2-Controller and just OSS (I haven't checked yet, but he told me they'd release their software)...

It's exhibited in London until 20th May:

http://www.cybersonica.org/artists

At Cybersonica you'll also find a PSP-Controller and an iScratch (iPod that can scratch)... but that's for the ones with a few more bucks in the pocket  ;D

rgds,

Michael

Yeah! I had the luck to play with it; it's really a great piece of work.

The controller seems to do a good job for musical control.

I just have taken a look at the small video of the website and noticed that there is no sound. The exhibition piece is more a musical sequencing tool than a plain visualizer. ;)