Cases / enclosures

elemental

Hello again

I'm about to start ordering parts, the one thing I feel I havent seen enough of tho are cases... i'm going for a Hammond sloping case atm, as it seems quite solid and cheap.

However, wondering what others know of that might be better? Would be good to have a case which can have a flat front plate for easy cutting and replacing if needed.

I have considered building an enclosure out of strong plywood and screwing a metal faceplate onto that. Cheap and easily customiseable!

I have done a fair bit of searching here but not found all that much on this topic.

Thanks!

Just want to add -

This will be an ableton live controller, as I currently use 2xFaderfox LV1, a Faderfox LX1 and a Behringer BCR-2000  - need an all in one box, to control up to 16 channels of audio in ableton.

Needs to be durable and safely transportable. I've also considered building it into a carry case, not sure how easy this is tho ...

i was stuck on the same thing, but i now found a hardware store that has a workshop that is going to build my case out of metal. costs me 50E, but i'll have a nice enclosure exactly fitting my needs for about the price of a hammond case..

Why don't you just build all your controllers into a flightcase or something? You could even rig it up to have one power supply then it would all be in one box.

Because: It would be too big, I dont use all the functions of all the controllers, and I dont like all the switching and channel selection I need to do. I spend most of my set navigating clips with the faderfox. I want to be able to select a scene and have all 16 clip triggers/stops, mutes, fx sends etc available at once.

Fair enough.

I'm making my own ableton controller/monome clone. I'm building it to fit into a suitcase (one of those strong aluminium ones) You can get those suitcases really cheap (30-40usd) and a plate of aluminium for the faceplate. Sorta like this http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5955.0 but bigger

Very interesting! Hmm might have to look into this. Need to find where to source things like that in the UK. Nice 1!

In the UK B&Q sell some aluminium tool cases, but I'm not sure how big you're after - any idea what sort of size? Most DIY places should sell something, and so should any "cash & carry" type stores that have tools.

On a similar note, I'm contemplating building a steel carry case for my guitar FX unit out of angle steel and treadplate (the steel sheeting with little raised diamonds to make it non-slip) - it's the most awkward shape out there, so I'm gonna head down to my dad's steel fab place and weld one up myself. Would there be anyone interested in seeing the finished article? It may not exactly be midibox-related but the basic steps can be applied to any enclosure made out of steel.

I have somewhat a similar questions about cases. Have any of you use plexi/lexan as a case for your project? I know that there are a variety of thicknest that can be obtain from a local hardware store.

I'm building a MBSEQv2. I figure if I use a clear plexi/lexan I don't need to drill holes for LED and LCD, which makes it easier as a casing.

Since plexi/lexan is somewhat pretty lightweight, this might be a good material for a case... What do you guys think?

docbrown...

I used black acrylic for my front panel. It was dirt cheap, and was cut for free at my university with a laser cutter. The thickest they'd cut was 6mm, so I was kind of limited. I think having support braces underneath certain parts of the panel will keep it sturdy enough for a long time, although I haven't tried it yet. I opted for a wood enclosure (a work in progress), and I know that'll be plenty sturdy. Depending on how many controls/required suface space you need, you might consider gutting an old computer keyboard case. A future project will probably be build into one, and I've seen it done before- looks neat!

PS- does anyone have any suggestions for putting text on acrylic? I was thinking Lazertrans or something, but I dunno...