no upload requests after attempted update

t_xen

I received my PIC 18f452 with the 1_2 bootstrap loader.

I was getting the sysex request every 2 seconds.

I was getting ready to flash an app and then thought I should update to the new MIOS version.

I flashed the PIC with the mios_v1_9a_pic18f452.hex and now I get no upload requests.

I made an attempt to reflash it with the update_with_old_mios.hex to see if I could "roll back" to the previous version and now I get these messages.

I get the initial sysex message:

timestamp 472829000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

and then it throws this message:

timestamp 474754000 us: [D0 1A] channel 1: key pressure D1 pressure: 0

and sits doing nothing.

I can flash it with the "old_mios.hex" update and it accepts the upload, but still no sysex messages but the 2 and nothing after that.

I doublechecked the wiring on the MIDI connections (used cable for the midi connectors) and the wiring is fine. I checked the voltage on all the pins and those are fine too.

At this point I'm at a loss other than figuring out how to recompile it with activepearl and sending it as a sysex file if that will work.

Or did I hose the PIC and it needs to be reburned entirely?

Oh. I feel like a Dolt.

I tried sending an application to the PIC but it wasn't getting the sysex request so it was just sitting there waiting. I switched off the midibox, turned it back on, then got the one sysex message.

After that, MIOS sent the application to the PIC, with the result of getting the sysex message every few seconds again.

-I am so smart, I am so smart! S-M-R-T, I mean S-M-A-R-T.

I tried sending a different app to it again and the proccess started all over again.

I can upload apps to it, but no sysex messages.

when I send the interconnection .syx file to it, I also get a "cmd 01 (not saved)" message.

have I perhaps done something really wrong?  ???

Ok.

Now I do not get the periodic sysex messages any longer.

I have uploaded the mios_v1_9a_pic18f452.hex

I can still send apps to the PIC but I do not know if it is working or not.

When I upload any SID app, I start to get a high pitched tone from the audio output than never stops untill I reload MIOS again.

Does this mean the PIC is ok, bad wiring or dead sid?

I'm at a loss on this.

I shall attept to resolder all the connections later to see if I just have a bad solder joint someplace that I cannot see under normal inspection.

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll continue to post my findings here.

I get the initial sysex message:

timestamp 472829000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

and then it throws this message:

timestamp 474754000 us: [D0 1A] channel 1: key pressure D1 pressure: 0

it tells you, that the bootloader is up-to-date

when I send the interconnection .syx file to it, I also get a "cmd 01 (not saved)" message.

I tried sending a different app to it again and the proccess started all over again.

I can upload apps to it, but no sysex messages.

MIOS Studio doesn't support the required "delay after F7" function, therefore you cannot send .syx file properly with this tool. I know this is not obvious for a newbie, and have Adam informed about this

Could it be, that your core is already running properly?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

[@uote]When I upload any SID app, I start to get a high pitched tone from the audio output than never stops untill I reload MIOS again.

Does this mean the PIC is ok, bad wiring or dead sid?

you don't need to reload MIOS again, MIOS is not windows... ;-)

If you get a high pitched sound, it could be, that the interconnections are not correct, or that there is a short. The mbsid_interconnection test helps to debug this, but you need to upload the .hex file, not the .syx file!

Thereafter read the debug instructions in main.asm (or README.txt, don't remember).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok,

I'm about to resolder the interconnect, just to besure there are no shorts and that I have the pinouts correct. Smash refers to J2 on the SID to reflect MIOS v1.8 (I have a SID r3, and Core r4 boards).

I want to make sure that I understand how this is supposed to be wired. Basically, I started soldering all the wires on the core first, and then began to connect them to the Sid, according to the Optimised PSU schematic. I noticed that while I was wiring, the SID does not have a pin on J2 marked "MD". Therefore I went ahead and started over with the Sid's J2 connection.

Here's how I have my pins wired using the board diagrams from the MBHP store.

Core-SID-interconnect.jpg

Is the interconnect wired correctly according to this image?

Thanks for the help.  :)

>

update. I just did a double check, and believe I have made an error in connecting both modules.

according to the PSU diagram, the pins on both boards marked "SC" are not connected.

so this leaves the unmarked "MD" connection on the SID into question.

Since this is unmarked, is it not used any longer on the core and sid, or does this still need to be connected?

Since this is unmarked, is it not used any longer on the core and sid, or does this still need to be connected?

Compare it with: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_sid_c64_psu.pdf, a connection is not required, but it doesn't hurt

However, I'm missing the 5V/ground connections, without them the logic chips won't be supplied...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Heya t_xen

Sorry this has been giving you troubles....  :-\

As per the MIOS 1.7 hardware changes, "The SCLK line of the SID module has also to be connected to pin (#28/RD5) of the core module. Desolder the cable from junction CORE:J10:SC and solder it to CORE:J10:MD."

On my boards the 1.7 changes have been made already, so with that in mind, the connection from CORE_R4 to SID_R3 is 1:1, Not like you have shown in your picture.

Let me know how it goes.....

Best

Smash

Smash,

I thought the 1:1 connection issue (which I did read) referred to the r2 board.  :P

(yes I moved the connection over and it works.)

TK,

Yes I did have the power connected already on the sid pins. I felt the problem were the pins for the data after I looked at the image I posted.  ;)

Three words,

you guys rock!  :D

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...