Statement of Intent

moogah

Having just noticed this new area to the forum (I wasn't visiting very often this winter/spring) I now realize I need to make a few requests.  Some for projects which I've already nearly finished. 

As I'm sure many of you here know there is a wonderful TB303 clone project, the x0xb0x.  I have one myself and during several discussions over there I began thinking seriously about taking Sebastian Lindstat's (aka hallucinogen) 808 clone that I was working on and continuing the project to make a set of PCB's with a sequencer included.  I have now nearly finished the final revision of the 808's analog section and have alot of work done on making an adapted MBSEQ to fit to the 808.  The adaptations to the SEQ are minimal, all I've really done is add the ability to use DOUT pins as analog triggers and removed some of the features that are not needed in a drum sequencer in order to have a tidy interface.  I was originaly going to make a full x0x style makeover of the SEQ, but I see that there are people here already working on this and I think it would be better for me to simply contribute to their projects where possible instead of competing with them on a project that is well defined (we all know what we want a x0x sequencer to be). 

Now, I have no plans to sell completed units but I would certianly like to do a run of PCB's for all who are interested and possibly offer a partial kit with all the components which are not available at the big vendors.  Profit wise I do not intend to have any real markup, considering that I've spent in excess of 1000$usd in realizing this project (I needed the full version of eagle, amoung other things). 

It is also interesting to consider that with the completion of the SEQ section of this project I will have done most of the work neccessary to make a full MBSEQ on a single PCB.  With about 10 hours more work I can easily offer a design that keeps all the original points of TK and Smash's PCB's, but in a nice, compact form.  Same would go for various "larger format" modules like a DINX8 or a PCB that holds 4 encoders, switches and LED's (tell me those wouldn't be useful!). 

Now, I have more than just the 808 clone on my plate.  I've also been assembling a set of Trevor Page's (aka introspectiv) 9090 PCB's which do not include a sequencer.  The very same seq design used for the 808 will work for the 9090 as well, so I would potentially like to offer the SEQ section as a seperate PCB to the people over at that forum too.

Further yet I have an "Oberheim Clone" that I have been working on for some time now which lies somewhere between the SEM and the OB-1.  This is a pretty complicated project so it has taken me quite some time to get my head wrapped around it, but with the completion of the 808 I'm pretty sure I will be ready to finish it.  This project will also have an adapted MBSEQ, but will also use MidiBox hardware to provide patch storage and a digital interface ala the OB-1.  Again, no real intention of selling completed units, but PCB's and small kits are likely.

I've also got a set of files from 5meo-geo (aka geomantic here, I believe) that begin the task of making MiniMoog PCB's!!!  This one still has alot of work to be done on it, allthough geo has come a long way and was generous enough to give me his files to work with.  Same intentions as with everything else, a single PCB with the analog sections and some useful MB hardware. 

As for my obligation with the GNU I do plan on meeting the quality of documentation provided by TK for all my projects and modifications as well as making the extra effort for the PCB's themselves to be informative and included credit to all contributers. I cannot, however, provide a timeline for when the documentation will be complete.  This is a hobby, after all ;D.

All this brings up a point, should there be any restrictions on selling kits that include MidiBox hardware?  I've read through all the posts relating to MidiBox and the GNU/GPL, and I don't want to open that can of worms here.  However, I think removing restrictions on selling *kits* as opposed to completed units neatly steers around all the problems with unsophisticated users and greedy folk and still allows innovative people the freedom to do what they wish and grow the community.

PS: @TK.  why not lock any threads here once you have given a verdict?  That should get the point of finality across  ;D

I didn't even see this thread to be honest, or I would have answered earlier!

I personally would very much like to see your work on the TR-808 triggers and Seq. I'm working on cloning the voices from my favourite drum machines, the DR-55 and the DR-110. They're not that far removed from the 808 (which I plan to build afterwards) but they have enough of their own character to warrant cloning I think. When I do build the 808, i'm not building any of the 'latin' style instruments or cowbells as I have no real need for them, just toms, kick, snare hats and cymbal, although I might go mad and build them just for 'show off' kudos ;)

My plan had been to adapt an Aout module to send triggers and global accent CV to trigger the four sounds of the 55 and the some of the DR-110 (Kick, snare, hats and cymbal). I might add CV accent to all voices, but it means adding an output buffer to each voice. I've not cloned the clap, as it's triggered with multiple pulses which I don't know how to do! I rarely use it anyway. I've done some experiments in modifying the DR-110 snare to sound like toms, which is pretty easy: tune the tone down and use less noise.

At the minute, I'm limited to only 8 individual triggers, so some of the sounds would need to be doubled up (ie, 55hat or 110 cymbal and 110/55 kick or something along those lines). However, if you've figured out how to succesfully trigger the drums using Dout's, all the sounds and more could be used simultaneously. 

AAaanyway, back on topic! Like I said, i'd like to see some of the work you've done so far if you don't mind. I'm more of an analogue kind of guy, i'm not too hot with the programming.  I'd be interested in more details of your synth clones too, i've just begun looking at building an ASM-1 inspired simple mono with MS-20 filter, but that's still just in the ideas stage.  ::)

I planned to reply your posting once I have enough time to give you an adequate answer. But if you want to have some quick thoughts, here they are:

Great to read that somebody customized the MBSEQ firmware for drums!

I'm really happy about it!

My intentions for sale requests were not formulated clear enough, I've now written an addendum: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5758.msg45977#msg45977

Of course, it's no problem for myself when you are selling kits/PCBs for the analog circuits

And for the MBHP based modules you could mention in your documentation, that they can be purchased from SmashTV and Mike if the user doesn't want to built them on a breadboard, or etch himself

If a special DIN/DOUT module combination with the possibility to mount the buttons/encoders/LEDs directly is required, I guess that the best way would be to discuss this with potentional users first (how should the case look like), and thereafter maybe to ask SmashTV/Mike, if they could distribute the PCB over their shop

Best Regards, Thorsten.

"And for the MBHP based modules you could mention in your documentation, that they can be purchased from SmashTV and Mike if the user doesn't want to built them on a breadboard, or etch himself

If a special DIN/DOUT module combination with the possibility to mount the buttons/encoders/LEDs directly is required, I guess that the best way would be to discuss this with potentional users first (how should the case look like), and thereafter maybe to ask SmashTV/Mike, if they could distribute the PCB over their shop"

Thanks TK, this is what I was thinking  :)

For the encoder board I was thinking about a nifty two-sided board that used different spacing on either side so as to allow maximum options. 

The adaptations to the SEQ are minimal, all I've really done is add the ability to use DOUT pins as analog triggers and removed some of the features that are not needed in a drum sequencer in order to have a tidy interface. 

Congratulations!  I too am very interested in finding out more about this work.  If you're interested, you could add it to the User Projects or DrumStuff sections of the wiki.

:D

Yes, all my documentation will be in the Wiki so as to keep the amount of "information scatter" down.  Give me time tho, at the moment I'm still eyeballs deep in Eagle!

I expect to have 808 PCB's ready to send to people sometime around August.  Everything else will follow that in sequence (with the highest priority on the Oberheim, then the Moog)

What are the chances of leaving the modules separate to allow for more flexibility than just a straight clone?

I would like to see this kind of thing (synth, fx, drum) done in a modular fashion. I'd really like a box with a handful of the best drums from different machines, and no sequencer attached, just a sound module... If it all goes on one PCB, that's great if you want to clone an old piece... but if the nostalgia is less important than the sound, then a custom box is the way to go - and of course, if it's done in a modular fashion like this, you can still do the clone :)

By oscillator, I assume you mean the drum sound generator? If so that's the way i've laid out my DR-110 modules. Basically you have the Cymbal and hats on one PCB, snare on another, noise & 'Chime' on another etc... I put all the DR-55's on one board as they were so simple it would be silly to have multiple power connections.

With regards to your 'weird example' I must confess that i've been thinking of something quite similiar, I guess great minds think alike! I was thinking i'd an MS-20 filter clone which has better self resonance and it's a bit more 'gritty' which works well with percussion.

Awesome, great to hear it jaicen :)

Maybe I'm just a control freak, maybe I'm just not the nostalgic type, but the idea of a clone doesn't grab me - but the idea of a bunch of individual sounds from various really cool drum synths sure does!

Like the 808 or 909... They're cool, but everyone knows it's those kickdrums that you really want.. So I'm like, why bother with the hats? I can replace them with more kicks ;)

Hehe, myself I prefer the "whole box" approach.  It's the 808 or 909 groove that appeals to me, and I can only get that with one sitting on my lap with a pair of headphones on.  ;D

Heh sorry I mean modular as in oscillator = one PCB, filter = one PCB, mixer = one PCB, etc etc. This way I could use an 808 oscillator with a DR110 oscillator and a 303 filter for a weird example....

Thats what I meant too, each instrument in it's own module  ;)

Yeh I'd be in trouble if I sat my studio on my knee.... and very, very flat.  ;D

Oh cool, you said 1U and I guess you mean vertical, but I thought you meant 1U as in a 19" 'pizza box' ;) That'll be excellent man, I look forward to it!

I dig the idea of a clone, I'd love to own a real 808 for that matter as I find real boxes so inspiring. Plus the 808 just looks so fucking cool!! However, would I ever use the congas, or the dreaded cowbell? I think not! I like the more esoteric sounds that the early boxes made, like the CR8000 tambourine or the CR78 guiro for example. I'd like to clone them if I could find a nice enough schem.

I too would like to combine the best sounds from the 909 and the 808 into one box to sit alongside my 55/110 voices. I think that i'd take the kick and snare from the 909 and two toms, kick, snare, clap and hats from the 808. That would be my perfect drum box I think. Of course, if it's all modular, then it should be a relative breeze to pick and choose.

the dreaded cowbell? I think not!

Man I dig that cow.... you can't use it dry but it's dope if you toy with it.

I like the more esoteric sounds that the early boxes made, like the CR8000 tambourine or the CR78 guiro for example. I'd like to clone them if I could find a nice enough schem.

Yeh!! The CR snares arent too shabby either, nice noise gen...mmmm...

That would be my perfect drum box I think. Of course, if it's all modular, then it should be a relative breeze to pick and choose.

Yep we're totally on the same wavelength here, I'm stoked :) I was fearing the disappointment if I suggested this and it was knocked back hehehehe

hey stryd and all,

you are aware that on hallucinogens site there is allready pcb artwork for all individual voices?

take also a look at the concussor series; drummodules from analogue solutions

they cloned some favorite drumvoices but put an extra cv input for pitch on some, for instance the BD99 (tr909 kick clone). Then you can have the normal 909 sound but you can also modulate the pitch with an envelope or fast running LFO to get a totally different sound.

man i'm looking forward to seeing some custom built drummachines in the midibox gallery (and on my desk) next year ;D

• 2 weeks later...

man i'm looking forward to seeing some custom built drummachines in the midibox gallery (and on my desk) next year ;D

What I'd really like to see is a flexible, extensible, and most importantly portable and re-usable software framework that would enable people to make custom midi controlled analog synths and FX without having to create a new application from the ground up. There seems to be a lot of synth/fx talk around, but nobody seems keen to tie it all together and make it accessible to the masses :(

I'm all for it in fact!

I've been wanting to build my own MIDI synth for some time, but I don't have the confidence to pull off something like a Mini-Moog. Nor do I want the hassle of true analogue VCO's which drift with temp etc.

My ideal synth would have a DCO like the Juno, and the analogue filters from an MS-20. Actually, if you've ever heard a SIEL MONO, that's a brilliant synth which mixes different width pulses to make interesting waveforms. They're only £200-300 though, so i'm not sure it's worth DIY'ing!

Aaaanyway, back on topic! All the stuff needed to control an analogue synth is available on ucapps. For example, a single core and AOUT board can control up to 8 different oscillators with minimal coding, so it's not difficult!

• 6 months later...

Hey Yall!  It's been some time since I visited this thread, but I now have an actual working unit on my bench and a clear picture of exactly what it is that I want to do with the 808 project.  It goes as follows:

I've finished the PCB work in Eagle and have gathered a list of people who are interested in building an 808, I've also acquired many of the difficult to find components, and in many cases I bought them in bulk as that is how they were available (100KA PCB mount pots being a prime example of this!).  This means that in addition to doing a run of PCB's I can offer partial kits to as many as 50 people thereby making it easier and somewhat cheaper to build such a large project.  I will not be marking up the price of any part of the kit, it's good enough for me that I end up getting the parts I needed at bulk cost without having to sit on 100's of parts I don't need.. and, of course, I'm getting an 808 too, and thats the biggest reward ;D.

So, if I'm not doing any of this for profit, why am I asking?  Well, because at the start of all this I wasn't really sure how it was all going to work out, and I knew I was spending a decent amount of cash making this happen, at the time I was considering how much money I would be able to make back by charging as much as 50$ for a "kit".  However, I really didn't keep track of how much was spent, and a great deal of it was on stuff that is useful to me beyond the immediate scope of this project (like Eagle).  So, this is really about setting a standard that I can look to in the future with other big projects I want to do and feel confident that I'm actually benefiting the community and following the rules. 

Also, included on the PCB is all the MB hardware to make a MBSeq, and I think it's important to clear this by TK and Smash before releasing another version into the wild.  It's worth noting that I've made sure the schematic for the modules are identical with only a couple minor exceptions (I'll elaborate) and I've made an effort to preserve the quality of the layouts to protect the MBHP name (although my skills are a good bit short of SmashTV's).  I have talked with TK and Smash about this before while I was still working on the layout, but I would like to complete a formal request now as I get a website online to keep all the information about this project in one place.  You can check it out at www.eight-oh-eight.org/phpbb2 and in some short time you can check out the main site at www.eight-oh-eight.org which will have all the documentation I can possibly come up with.

So, what is missing in my layout of th MBSeq?  Most of it is on the core, J1 and J2 are not there because there are taps on the PSU for this.  J7 is not there because I can't think of a reason to have motorfaders on a drummachine.  J8 and J9 are there, but they are at the end of the DOUT's and DIN's on the PCB and J10 has been left off too.