Brace yourselves: Illuminated silicone buttons

RTurner

idealy i would have a 16 by 16 grid (we could beat monome to it :P)

and the pcbs to go with it.. also the plates for the frame (cant we have a group order with that? let someone cnc it out for us.. in groups of 4 by 4 like the pcb and the buttons itself.. with mounting holes in every corner of that 4 by 4 plate.. we would also need a modified mios program that just turns the buttons into outgoing midi signals and convert the incoming midi signals into leds going on or off..

to do my part i am willing to build or modify some of the MAX/MSP programs monome uses (they are opensource!!)

so that its a fully monome clone..

• 4 weeks later...

We can surely get the price down, but not low as it should be. When I was searching for silicone sheets to make my own laser cut buttons i read somewhere that these kind of buttons developed about 30 yesrs ago as a cheep substitution for regular buttons. I see this as very expensive substiutution for much better buttons. If we get the price half than it is now it would still be to high. I can make better looking buttons on my own using acrylic but that silicone soft touch feeling is bit hard to get. I intented to use silicone rubber glued on top of the acrylic button caps and that is it. I only need to know could it be laser cut. If it can... that is supercheep, great looking and touching substitution to any button. Only downfall is thickness of only 0.5mm. I found some companies in chine making thicker sheets but thay are not selling small quanityes.

baad_p1.jpg

URL:http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/aa600e7c543208475086351067bbaf48/cl/details/cnid/BAA/anid/BAAD

Btw.: I'm planning to create a 64 button/LED matrix application soon, I will use moxi's DIY button caps for this.

This hardware is intented as an extension for MBSEQ, but it can also be used by other apps.

Only 3 DOUT and 2 DIN registers will be required. This means, it can be easily extented to a 256 or 512 button/LED variant :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Wow, 512!! :o :o I guess 1024 is not far away..

Since (if I remember reading it here somewhere in this forum that said ) MIOS can support up to 1024 switches, did anybody here in this forum actualy have implemented 1024 switches yet?

If so, what application are you currently running this setup?

thanks..