DJ mixer crossfaders

Sasha

you just need a normal 10k fader, and then assign it to the x-fader in the application (i.e. ableton).

You might want a different knob on the top because of the way it's used and mounted will be different to the channel faders.

The size come down to preference and style - turntablists and scratchers like short x-faders, 3 minute mixers will perfer a longer one

you just need a normal 10k fader, and then assign it to the x-fader in the application (i.e. ableton).

You might want a different knob on the top because of the way it's used and mounted will be different to the channel faders.

The size come down to preference and style - turntablists and scratchers like short x-faders, 3 minute mixers will perfer a longer one

David, you completly missed my point. I already said that about 10k fader...

Let me try again... Which Brands (model) of DJ mixers have replacible crossfaders valued 10K linear? Non of the crossfaders have that kind of details since mixer owner dont need it. You are buying crossfader acording to model you have.

And all crossfaders I saw comes with included knobs and some with included montage polate so I dont need to worry about it. I am interested just which one is 10k lin.

You could still make one work, you just use one of the sets of contacts.

I don't think you're going to find a linear DJ crossfader though, because being for audio, it's going to need a log curve.

You could call the manufacturers to ask which models use a 10k xfader, there's not that many of them :)

Yeah they are designd for audio, but one said thay are not directly feeded with the signal reather driving the circuit controling the valume, so they still could be linear. It make sense, cose i saw circuit somewhere using that kind of "cracking avoidence"

I could call them but colls would cost me more than if I buy crossfaders and read the markings from it. :) I`ll try to mail tham.

It doesn`t matter. I would like to make dedicated controllers for both apps.

Right - so I didn't miss your point the 1st time.

If you want a cross fader to use with say ableton  - it's really really simple, get a standard 10k Fader and bam! you are done.

If you want a center denent they get a 10k fader with done, choose knob you like and you are away- and it'll be massively cheaper than buying a fader as a spare part.

Alps make great faders or if you are feeling rich go for a P&G

but one said thay are not directly feeded with the signal reather driving the circuit controling the valume, so they still could be linear. It make sense, cose i saw circuit somewhere using that kind of "cracking avoidence"

SOME mixers use VCAs for the x-fader, but not all, generally more expensive/old skool mixers.

Personally I don't think that crossfaders are log. Only channel faders can be.

If you imagine a mixer as a set of identically built units, wether there a 2, 3 or even more of them (a set is a line fader and a EQ, Cue buttons ...) a log Crossfader woudn't make sense.

As sasa said the Crossfader only drives a control circuit which amplifies or weakens each channel and therefore it has to be lin.

Regards

m.

have you seen the graphs for x-faders???

have you ever used a Rane, or an Allen and Heath? How about a soundcraft, you'll find they have different slopes in the middle!

and now for the final killer question: hands up who's actually tested using a fader on Ableton assigned to the x-fade???

Ableton Live or any other software have nothing to do with pot value. "?"

Moving the fader controller is sending same MIDI msg. no metter which softver you are using.

I wanted to use mixer crossfader because of the nice smooth movement feeling and their durability. Isnt that enough reason to use them? They are made much better than regular sliders as far as I know. Look at those scratch xfaders. You done so meny movements in a hour of practising that regular DJ done in a year. I dont planing to use it for "cutting" but doesn`t metter. There is big difference betveen faders and mixer xfader.

PS. I am pretty short on cash but same time I am willing to spend more for make good quality machine even I finish it in a year. All potentiometers I can find in my country are plastic Radiohm. Quality ones are DJ mixer replacements. I hope you understand now.

aaarrrgggghhhhh - Sasa, are you deliberately misundertstanding me?

read this:

http://www.rane.com/note146.html

then think about this: a normal 10k fader works fine in abeton to control the x-fader - (i actually tested this myself as I had the same question as you, but decided to actually test it out before asking questions), so if the x-fader has a different respose curve than a standard linear fader, what do you think the result is going to be?

an no -  x-faders are NOT better quality than normal faders, why do you think they make them user replaceable? because they die regularly through use!!

read the link I sent, and if you are still having problems getting your head around it, then go out and buy an x-fader and see what happens!!

aaarrrgggghhhhh - Sasa, are you deliberately misundertstanding me?

No I am not!

a normal 10k fader works fine in abeton to control the x-fader

What is normal fader? I guess you mean linear. Evry linear pot vorks fine in evry application.

so if the x-fader has a different respose curve than a standard linear fader, what do you think the result is going to be?

If has diferent slope that means it is NOT linear. I asked which of replacible DJ mixer Xfader is 10K linear. I am sure my question was at right place.

x-faders are NOT better quality than normal faders, why do you think they make them user replaceable? because they die regularly through use!!

I saw some quarantie several hundreds fo thousands of operations!!! It must mean something!

Again, question is which one is 10K or so but LINEAR

Why not cut the crap, and just buy normal lineair faders from an electronic shop, and order 1 or 2 studio faders from Conrad or any other shop that sells them. They are 23 euro or something, and a normal fader will cost you 4 euro. So there is a great difference in quality. Use that one for your cross-fader, and don't waste your time in finding a 10k lineair xfader from a mixer, because they will probably be all logaritmic.

David, you are one of those people that just don't listen. He asked for

info about what dj mixer is using a linear fader and you are talking to him

as with a newbie, giving him Mushroom Treatment.

Conrad delivery to the country that Sasa and me are living is ~20-30€

And, me too would pay for a normal xfader rather than use crappy radiohm.

You talk like you never worked with a mixer, the xfader should move if

you blow some air at the handle.

If you don't have the answer, don't answer.

tos,

the answer has been said numerous times - I said check the graphs on the link - I assumed they were self explainitory, I'm not treating anyone like a newbie.

you are one of those people that just don't listen

Love the sweeping generalisation - am a little worried about the fact you must be stalking  me as I don't remember meeting you ever!

As for not listening - to what did I not listen to?

the point is - I don't think any mixer companies are using a linear fader on their x-faders, the ultra nice ones I've seen of late are optical.

The simple answer is and always has been - get a nice 10k Fader like an Alps or P&G.

As for I've never worked with a mixer - I'll skip the "I've done this and that, and played here and there" and just say  :P

the xfader should move if you blow some air at the handle.

really, it "should" should it? On every x-fader on every mixer on the planet?

Jesus I better go out and get the x-fade on my Formula sound mixer fixed. And the rotaries on my xzone:v6 are really stiff - i better get those fixed too because they obviosuly should be light as as a feather, and then there is my Urei I can't even find a cross fader on it, ooops better get that fixed too!

I can't see any reason why you can't find a high quality fader that will do the exact same job better than or equal to any x-fade unit in any mixer, in fact if you buy a fader you get a lot more choice if you are willing to look.

where do you think Rane, Allen & Heath, Neve get their faders and x-faders from? you think they make them in-house?

go straight to the place the best in the business go to and get exactly what you want/need by doing it DIY, that's the midi-box way right?

If you don't have the answer, don't answer.

may I ask what exactly it is you have answered by joining in?? or did you just feel like showing off your encyclopedic  knowledge of Dj mixers off in public?