just a link related to SID hardware...

moxi

My thoughts: building a dedicated PCB for mounting two SIDs is much more error prone than building two MBHP_SID modules, because you will have more than 15..16 (or so) connections to the IC socket + an additional CS signal.

Instead, two MBHP_SID modules are more compact, and you can stack them ("doubledecker") in order to save space in the case (it works, I already tried this in my C64 case to estimate, if I can build 8 SIDs into the case, or if I need to design a new PCB). Note that the second module doesn't need to be populated completely (the 12V/9V circuit can be used for both, or for all SID in the case modules).

So, you would even don't save money when building an 2*SID adapter instead of using an additional MBHP_SID module, it would only increase the propability for loose contacts.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I recently realised while designing a new PCB for MBSID v2, that since each SID module in a stereo pair will have common data shifted in from the one Core, and only the separate CS pins used to set SID registers on each SID differently, then you can use a common pair of shift registers for two SIDs. This reduces the amount of PCB space a lot... in my current design I have the two shift registers underneath the two SIDs (in perpendicular orientation) and a sort of common bus between the two SIDs. Looks pretty cool  ;D