Panning Stereo Mixer for 4xSID + Headphone out

Altitude

So here a design for a panning mono to stereo mixer intended for a 4xSID box based on the TL084.  It is pretty much an duplicate of Ray Wilsons MFOS

(http://www.musicfromouterspace.com) mixer with the addition of normally closed mono jacks to steal the mono outputs from the stereo mix when a cable is connected.  Each channel has its own level and pan controls and the whole deal is driven with +/- 12VDC.

I will be building the prototype in the next couple of days so I should have brd's/partlists available shortly.  Any comments are welcome.

Cheers.

Alt

mixer2.jpg

Ok, here is the board layout.  I decided to go with a DIL header since 24 wires does not seem to be a neat way of wiring the pots. 

Note that the TL084 needs a +/- 12 V input.  I will have panel mounted pots on a 1 to 1 connection with the mixer board header ready shortly spaced for a 2u rack

mixerBoard.jpg

I think that even without automation feature, this is a really useful circuit, because it saves you from buying an expensive mixer just to merge multiple audio outputs!

Thanks Altitude for testing this (I haven't commented the circuit and layout, since it just looks good! :)

Could you please bring this into the Wiki once you are happy with the result?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

So here a design for a panning mono to stereo mixer intended for a 4xSID box based on the TL084.  It is pretty much an duplicate of Ray Wilsons MFOS

(http://www.musicfromouterspace.com) mixer with the addition of normally closed mono jacks to steal the mono outputs from the stereo mix when a cable is connected.  Each channel has its own level and pan controls and the whole deal is driven with +/- 12VDC.

Mind sharing the .SCH and .BRD files?

-Steve

I will as soon as I get the pot board finished.  I envisioned this thing as being all single sided so on the pot board u will install DIL header upside down so the long ends come out the back and the plastic riser keeps it in place on the front.  This is still in the prototype stage so i would like to make sure everything works before I release all the files.  I should have my new etching tank and parts this week.

I will as soon as I get the pot board finished.  I envisioned this thing as being all single sided so the pot board so u just install DIL header upside down so the long ends come out the back and the plastic riser keeps it in place on the front.  This is still in the prototype stage so i would like to make sure everything work also

Okay, nifty. I'd like to take a look at them.

One suggestion, try to avoid < 90 degree corners in your board. They don't usually etch very well.

And I'm curious, what sockets are those? I don't think I've seen that footprint before.

Steve,

They are switchcraft sockets (RN111PC and RN112APC).  they were the only board mounted normally-closed sockets i could find at Mouser. To make it simple, i used the normally open version of it for the L/R outs (i'll send u my lbr)

I'm not sue what a cue function would give u since the SID outputs are hardwired into the mixer

Fantastic work!

I would like to make one small suggestion:  it would be nice if the separate output jacks could be set up as an interrupt jack.  ie tip-ring-sleeve, so that a mono plug just steals the signal from the mix, but a stereo plug steals it and then returns it to the mix bus.  Then you could use a stereo to 2x mono splitter lead to patch each SID to an FX pedal.

This would be easier than trying to design in a whole new bus and pots for FX sends. 

On the other hand, you could always use the left stereo out on the existing board for an FX send and the right as the dry mono mix.

How about adding CUE button for each SID??

A small external headphone amp in a box with a 9V battery, plug it into the SID out you want to cue.

t would be nice if the separate output jacks could be set up as an interrupt jack.  ie tip-ring-sleeve, so that a mono plug just steals the signal from the mix, but a stereo plug steals it and then returns it to the mix bus.

The sockets i used already have the normally closed, steal from mix feature built in but I dont think the jacks would work the way you described.  With a suitable jack, i'm sure this would work though