NEMA 5-15P power plugs in europe??

DavidBanner

Hey Roger,

I need 8 plugs and 2 sockets, all 3 pin.

D

... sorry don't have that many. Tip: Go to a big music shop where they sell lots of rack mount gear and ask. - A lot of times they take the left over cables out of the box before selling it. Most of todays ProAudio gear comes with all types of power cables (US/UK/German).

I just got some Isobar filters, but you can't get them in the UK plug type.

So I need make some connectors, that way I know the cables are 240v, I don't think using 110v rated plugs will present a problem.

As to why I need the isobars see: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=7131.0

Huh. Why not just use an isolation (1:1) transformer? You can find plenty of info about them in audio circles, and probably find one for cheap, maybe even in a scrap yard.

-Steve

Hey Steve,

Will check out the deal isolation transformers, I think the Isobars will do a similar job.

The ground loop hum is actually the most minor side effect, the PIC frying is the thing that's doing my head in at the moment.

How portable are isolation transformers? I'm guessing they don't provide surge protection?

Hi Steve,

Yeah - I had a quick read up about the isolation transformers, they all sounded and looked huge - wanted to check I wasn't missing a smaller portable variety.

I really need something that I can take to gigs with me, preferably (as in almost essential) something that can be carried on a plane as hand luggage along with my laptop and HW controller.

finally went with Mouser - cheers for the tip Consumer;

as expected the shipping cost 3 times as much as the plugs and cables, but still worked out much cheaper than sourcing in the UK which worked out at £12 ($23 US)  per Nema 5-15p plug (no cable, just the plug)!!!

I get so jealous of the price of stuff in the States...

finally went with Mouser - cheers for the tip Consumer;

as expected the shipping cost 3 times as much as the plugs and cables, but still worked out much cheaper than sourcing in the UK which worked out at £12 ($23 US)  per Nema 5-15p plug (no cable, just the plug)!!!

I get so jealous of the price of stuff in the States...

You've got the advantage of a weak US dollar right now. I just purchased a P3 enclosure which was $420 or so, shipped from Scotland.

:o $430 for an enclosure are you serious?!?!

Enclosure, wood end cheeks, custom etched keycaps, and tactile switches.

In the end it's costing me about the same to build a P3 as buying one new, but... ah well.

It's a very nice enclosure, and I figured i twould cost about $220 - $230 to have a panel made from Front Panel Express, and it's worth the other $200 for the remainder of the parts. Making a nice box itself would be a bit of a hassle, and the whole thing would be challanging to label without the etched keycaps.

I could possibly have done it differently, but at this point I just wanted to get it done. Photos of it (up to the point I stopped at last night) are here. I've got most of the boards populated, and I should have a Mouser order waiting for me at home which contains the remaining parts for it.

-Steve

You've got the advantage of a weak US dollar right now.

very true, and it's only going to get better (or worse depending on your perspective) as the dollar devalues or possibly even crashes in the future. Time to covert $US to something of value if you're holding em....

your P3 is looking really nice!

very true, and it's only going to get better (or worse depending on your perspective) as the dollar devalues or possibly even crashes in the future. Time to covert $US to something of value if you're holding em....

Unfortunately I'm earning them and paying off a house and such.

I really should buy gold or GBP, though...

your P3 is looking really nice!

Thank you. I'm hoping to have a lot more of it finished tonight. Possibly even the entire thing, except for inserting a few ICs.

-Steve

Man what I'd give for a P3 kit eh, you were lucky!.... She's looking very nice!

It's funny that a couple of years ago people were running away from hardware sequencers and these days they're getting tired of crashing PC's and now h/w seqs are in high demand and stupidly overpriced :)

Bring on the new MBSeq I say :D

Yeh I only bugged out because I thought you meant a stock, bare enclosure :)

Oh, heh. For what it's worth, the desktop enclosure I'm looking at for the 9090 is something like $85 just for the metal box. :(

That thing is going to be a bugger to assemble.

-Steve