Power over Midi cable

rune_sm

Hey everyone.. I have searched for 2 days, but can only find 1 unsufficient thread about this...

But Im building 1 Core module, 1 AIN module and 1 DIN module into my guitar. I will make a midi-jack beside my regular jack to send out midi signals to my guitarpedals.

I want to run the power over the 2 unused dims in the Midi-cable. The power has to run the modules + 20 blue LED lights running 3.6 volts each (20ma). Which poer supply should I use, which dimms are the unused in the MIDI-cable, and how do I run the power inside the guitar (do I just split the wire into two, one going to the modules the other going to the LEDs?)

Thanx - Rune

I want to run the power over the 2 unused dims in the Midi-cable

... I think you mean "pins"...? Just use the left over ones

Pins 4,2 and 5 (the three middle ones) are occupied by the MIDI interface by specification.

and how do I run the power inside the guitar (do I just split the wire into two, one going to the modules the other going to the LEDs?)

... I think you got something wrong here: The MIDI cable is the connection to your synth (or the DigiTech pedal... I think you're the guy writing about this stuff in an other thread). So you'll have the core board in your guitar and the buttons and LEDs are connected to it.

Greets, Roger

Hey... Sorry I didn't explain it so good. The 20 LEDS are seperate from the whole midibox thing... They are connected to an on/off switch just for lighting the beast up, and have nothing to do with the core... That's why I wonder if I should just split the power coming from the midi-cable in 2? Or will the seperate LEDs pull too much power??

Thanx for helping.... i'm learning alot

:-) Rune

Hey... Sorry I didn't explain it so good. The 20 LEDS are seperate from the whole midibox thing... They are connected to an on/off switch just for lighting the beast up, and have nothing to do with the core... That's why I wonder if I should just split the power coming from the midi-cable in 2? Or will the seperate LEDs pull too much power??

Thanx for helping.... i'm learning alot

:-) Rune

... depends on your power supply. The splitting shouldn't be a problem... it's like you're having 20 "power ON" LEDs  ;D

For the cable I think it's no problem as well, even thought those single lines aren't of large diameter.

Greets, Roger

• 2 weeks later...

hi rune

running voltage on MIDI cables has its own protocol and it is 7 pins MIDI plugs where the power supply is connected to pin 6 and 7

i advice you to stick to this for future use with other hardware (you may have a look at the DSP "Eclipse" from Eventide) and also because as mentioned some hardware (yes not really commonly) uses pins 4 and 5 and you don t want to burn that kind of hardware !!

good luck

simone