Problem with MIOS Studio and osx 10.3.9

Hi ChrisHipgrave,

and welcome to the Midibox Forums ;)

have you had success with any other MIOS Studio Version?

Have you installed Java 5 and set this as default Java Version? (you have to set this manually with 10.3.x!, see Java-readme or other recent thread here...)

Have you installed Plumstone to enable Midi-Support for Java?

Regards,

Michael

yep.

please see the sticky thread:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5230.msg41214#msg41214 :

I finally succeeded too in installing MIOS Studio.

I got MIOS Studio 5.1 beta working with the Java2 5.0 release 3:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/java2se50release3.html

Hower, the problem was, that I haven't read the release notes.

Once you have downloaded and installed Java5, it isn't automatically used by MIOS Studio. There should be a program resided in /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/

Open it and set it to prefer 5.0 over 4.2

regards,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

for the moment i ve found the following solution

panther - virtualpc - windows - mplab ide - hex2syx - panther - sysex librarian

but i d like to have Mios Studio 7.4 working on panther

btw it also won t load on windows xp on virtual pc

any help appreciated

best simone

I fear that Java SE2 5.0 is not available for Panther (10.3.)

Do you have the option of upgrading your mac? Tiger (10.4.) is a wonderful system with a bunch of new innovation, I wouldn't miss (Dashboard, Spotlight, Intelligent Folders... not sure if MIDI over Network and virtual Soundcards by chaining real devices were also part of the 10.4. upgrade...

maybe you could ask in the apple.com/support forums?

I think there must be some solution to get it running on < 10.4.

Anyway, there's always the option of using SysExLibrarian from snoize: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/ to upload the .syx files... IMHO still better than invoking VPC :-\

...and you know that you can use gpasm instead of mplab?

...and you know that you can use Xcode for MIOS-C-programs?

I've written a tutorial and step-by-step-instructions in the Wiki (->appDevelopment)

You just need a PC to burn the bootloader; all the rest can be done with your Mac ;)

Best regards,

Michael

Edit:

uh, I just saw that this topic is a bit older;

have you actually tried to install the referenced Version (link above)?

Is the installer denying the install?

hi

thanks for the info

not sure if MIDI over Network and virtual Soundcards by chaining real devices were also part of the 10.4. upgrade...

what what ?? do you mean there is a way to have multiple soundcards enviroment on Core Audio?? let me know let me know

Anyway, there's always the option of using SysExLibrarian from snoize: http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/ to upload the .syx files... IMHO still better than invoking VPC Undecided

see my message that s the only solution for the moment

...and you know that you can use gpasm instead of mplab?

well i tried to install it .. but i can t understand is it only a command prompt application?

...and you know that you can use Xcode for MIOS-C-programs?

I've written a tutorial and step-by-step-instructions in the Wiki (->appDevelopment)

yes but i have knowledge zero about C although i promised myself i will dig into C soon since it seems to be the next step !! i will have a look at your wiki txxx

uh, I just saw that this topic is a bit older;

have you actually tried to install the referenced Version (link above)?

Is the installer denying the install?

yes i tried release1 and 3 but of course the installer will deny it i was wondering how ChrisHipGrave managed to do it

Got it. It's all working fine now. Thank you for your help.

best

simone

what what ?? do you mean there is a way to have multiple soundcards enviroment on Core Audio?? let me know let me know

It can be found in the "Audio Midi Setup.app" (Utilities in the Program Folder), Menu -> Audio;

but I really think it's just possible since 10.4. (see img)

I'd really do a search in the Apple Forums about Java for OSX 10.3.

and GPASM is just a command line tool to compile .asm-files to .hex-files.

it surely can be used within Xcode, as Xcode also supports asm.  :)

best regards,

Michael

312_AudioMidiEditor_png83d9fd2da1e48f6c7

oh god!! i will go down on the street with my laptop my MB play some music and beg for money to buy Tiger  8)

do you also know if it is needed to digital-sync the soundcard with a cable to obtain good results or if it is accomplished into the application?

best

simone

no cable is required. As you can see from the screenshot, one card provides the master sync clock. I never noticed any issue; until now this worked great. But I'm not the one who recognizes 20 ms delays, so if you're cheesy with things like these, you should get another opinion :)

btw: leopard (10.5.) is announced for spring 2007 ;)

this is for meeshka (or anybody who can send it to me):

isn it possible to get an older version of Mios Studio that will work on Java 1.4.2 ? at least i could run it untill i won t save some bux for Tiger!!

best

Simone

MIOS Studio has been compiled to be able to run with Java 1.4, but unfortunately there are a number of 1.5 API calls which do not exist in the older Java libraries. Running with Plumstone should (tho I've never tested it myself) provide replacements for the non existant libraries, do you have Plumstone installed? See the first post in http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5230.0 and please let me know how you go, I don't think anyone has provided feedback as to whether MIOS Studio works with Java 1.4 and Plumstone together.

Cheers,

- Adam

AFAIR the Application Icon jumped a few times in the Dock, then it quitted. No splash screen has been visible. As everything works now with JSE2 5.0, it's too late to check for any errors;

maybe cimo can provide us with some more informations:

can you tell us, if there are any entries in the Console (-> Console.app in Programs/Utilities) -> console.log ?

Michael

Edit:

okay, I'm sorry

I looked up my original post: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5230.msg36441#msg36441

My memory did fool me. It started well, but did not work correctly; sorry about that confusion!!!

;D

just the splash windows

here from the console

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.sound.midi.MidiDevice.getTransmitters()Ljava/util/List;

at org.midibox.midi.MidiDeviceRouting.devicesConnected(MidiDeviceRouting.java:375)

at org.midibox.midi.MidiDeviceRouting.connectDevices(MidiDeviceRouting.java:182)

at org.midibox.apps.miosstudio.MIOSStudio.connectDevices(MIOSStudio.java:261)

at org.midibox.apps.miosstudio.MIOSStudio.<init>(MIOSStudio.java:121)

at org.midibox.apps.miosstudio.gui.MIOSStudioGUIDriver.<init>(MIOSStudioGUIDriver.java:61)

at org.midibox.apps.miosstudio.gui.MIOSStudioGUIDriver.main(MIOSStudioGUIDriver.java:233)

Sep 18 16:53:10 59-33-155-85 crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/simonemarin/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Dock.crash.log

Sep 18 16:53:19 59-33-155-85 crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/simonemarin/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Dock.crash.log