Advantages of panel mounted parts?

MEEF

Im sure this has been posted before but I cannot find it by searching.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages for using panel mount components? I think I will use these if i can find them simply because it seems easier than making & fitting extra boards in to my box, but am i over looking something?

Im sure this has been posted before but I cannot find it by searching.

Is there any advantages/disadvantages for using panel mount components? I think I will use these if i can find them simply because it seems easier than making & fitting extra boards in to my box, but am i over looking something?

Umm, I guess the disadvantages is, there will be a lot more wiring to the PCB, hence, more clutter?? Also, there will be some more extra holes on the panel to hold like LCD in place.

The big advantage I personally see is, easy alignment of switches and encoder/pots with out the restriction of the vectorboards, that's if you use vectorboards to mount your components.

my 0.2 cents!! ;)

It's easier, and the components bolt in over the holes you made- usually also hiding common imperfections.  Not only that, but if a potentiometer were to go funny (ever owned a stanton DJ mixer?)- it makes replacements a lot easier (assuming you always use header connections- which you do, right?)  The only disadvantages are:  Sometimes the hardware is a little ugly (like the panel mount MIDI sockets with that aluminum flange)- but these can often times be mounted to the inside of a panel.  And yes, there are more wires involved- but again, this actually makes it easier to replace components later when things go wrong and that guy that's been bugging you all night to play "that techno remix of All Along the Watchtower" (true story) pours his cosmopolitan into your main levels fader.  I'm not saying that it'll help you that very moment, but at least you'll be able to repair it without desoldering anything (Xytronics desoldering station is a life-saver BTW)......

Anyways- Panel-mount everything you can.

that guy that's been bugging you all night to play "that techno remix of All Along the Watchtower" (true story) pours his cosmopolitan into your main levels fader.

I hate hearing those stories...

Let me teach you a phrase often used by wise DJ's:

"F*%# off d!#*head I don't do requests. Do I look like a f*n jukebox?? Huh?? Get the f* away from me and my stage before I call security."

or the short "I can't be bothered giving this idiot a second chance" version:

"SECURITY!"

Meanwhile who licensed a techno remix of Jimi... Someone needs to be shot! :P

Really, I thought one of my friends was putting this guy up to it as a joke.  I wasn't even DJing that night.  I had my MPC, Mixer, and my effects boxes.  It was pretty incredible.

Friends don't let friends screw with friends gear ;) This also reminds me... In this modern age of electronic music in bars and pubs, the venues have to spend lots of money on insurance like public liability... The insurance of your gear for one night in a venue pales in comparison, so if the venue won't offer you insurance, don't do the gig, they're just trying to save a measly buck at your expense....

One of those horror stories that sticks with me.

Probably "sticks" with that xfader too ;)

I'm sorry! I couldn't help it!  :-X

So anyway back on topic.... All this talk leads me to ask one big question:

If panel mount is just as good, how come it's comparatively rare?

I believe that manufacturers prefer board-mounted "surface mount" components because it simplifies their manufacturing process.  That is, everything can be more-or-less placed by machine, and there's less time spent screwing things in against panels.

It also allows for more attractive designs.

In my experience however board mounted components (on cheap designs that is) tend to "float" in their respective panel penetrations giving them a cheap bouncey feel.  I haven't ever broken any components on one of these types yet, but, man does it feel like I could.

This isn't a problem if the PCB is properly mounted to the enclosure. If the enclosure is cheap to begin with and things aren't generally well designed, it will feel flimsy. But yes, this is generally the fault of cheaper things. Compare to better designed stuff (as I'm sure you have) and you'll see that it can be done right.

-Steve

I personnally prefer to panel mount most of the switches, so to have a sturdyier feeling of the interface. But those damn illuminated buttons are too damn expensive.  >:(  $6~13 per button will cost you an_arm_and_a_leg & left kidney!! >:(

The only way to go cheap with illuminated buttons is to make your own. Unfortunately, only a PCB mount style can give you a better mounting and alignment of the components, with the expense of the toughnest feeling of the panel mount switch.  ;)

The only way to go cheap with illuminated buttons is to make your own. Unfortunately, only a PCB mount style can give you a better mounting and alignment of the components, with the expense of the toughnest feeling of the panel mount switch.  ;)

I still disagree. If you have a properly mounted PCB with switches on them, it will feel incredibly solid. Case in point, the step / keypad switches on the Sequentix P3:

http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/stuffivemade/sequentix_p3/in_progress/IMG_4962.JPG.html

http://www.nuxx.net/gallery/v/stuffivemade/sequentix_p3/in_progress/IMG_4965.JPG.html

With proper support for the PCB and proper quality switches things can be as solid as panel mount. PCB mount can also provide closer spacing between devices, as there isn't the need for a flange around the parts needed to attach to the panel itself.

-Steve

Good point Steve, I guess with my lack of manufacturing skillz :-[ (I wish I have yours) maybe I can say yes. I just don't have that much experience to begin with the PCB design, layout, and tools handling. :-[

Maybe in the future, I'll be better. I hope!! ::) I did notice my improvement on making things, all because of you guy's tips!!

So my advise to the poster of this thread, it depends on your experience... ;) Plus cost!!

So my advise to the poster of this thread, it depends on your experience... ;) Plus cost!!

well that would be nil & nil  :D

thanks for all the advice though, im just chuffed i started a topic that went to 2 pages without being told to search the site  ;D Reckon panel mounting is the way for me, im not too bothered about it being a pro job, perhaps future builds i will look in to this but for now panel mount will be fine. Seems far too complicated with regard to spacing & actually designing the panel itself, im pretty new to design programs so it'll be helpful for me if i dont have to worry about pcb spacing on top of everything else.

thanks again