Really basic question on PSU>Core

MEEF

Umm this is very basic & im a bit embarrassed to ask but i dont really understand how you connect a power supply (like a wall adapter) to the core. I know where the two pins are on the core to connect it but inbetween that and the male connector on the adapter, im lost. Ive tried googling & looking at online shops but i cant seem to find much on the subject, its seems like its on of those basic things that everyone assumes you already know.

So how do i connect two wires to something like this:

power-supply-euro.jpg

assuming the supply voltage is of the correct type:

a)

either cut the wire on the wall wart to remove the male connector and attach the wires to the core voltage in pins (either solder directly or put a SIL plug on the wires)

OR

b)

make a lead with a SIL plug (to the core) and at the other end have a female socket to take the plug from the wall wart.

in both cases polarity is unimportant when connecting to the core

b) make a lead with a SIL plug (to the core) and at the other end have a female socket to take the plug from the wall wart.
To add to that, be aware that there are a couple different standards for the inside/outside diameters on those coaxial power connectors. Some have the same size plug, but the center pin is smaller or larger.

On the cheap, you can usually scavenge one off of something you broke, if looks aren't important:

DCSocket.jpg

You'll see 3 connections on some.  The third usually goes to a tab which closes against the center pin when there's nothing plugged in. You'd be using the other two.

Take Care

I you are wondering about the polarity, it doesn't matter. The core has its own bridge rectifier, thus it can take AC or DC and the wire can go either way. As long as you get the right amperage and voltage, your are golden.

right, but beware of other devices you may stumble upon. There are indeed some products, that have to be equipped with the right poles (+/-).

You will find a Multimeter in any electronics/DIY-market near you. The smallest ones are so cheap (~3 to 5 EUR/$), that I can only recommend to get one! You can measure the Voltage, Direction and probably the resistance. You'll need that.

Cheers,

Michael