Custom Waldorf MicroQ controller

Theory?

I want to build a dedicated knob-per-function controller for my Waldorf MicroQ.  I figure it should be a 64e, but with certain functions like my osc. shape and octave I don't need the vast range of normal encoders.  Does anyone know of any encoders that have a shorter range?  I doubt such a thing exists detented, but you never know.

Also, the MF module can be integrated into a 64e right?

I'm very interested in this project :)

What do you mean by "range" on encoders? Are you thinking of pots perhaps? Encoders have an infinite range (like the mq, they just go round and round). Pots usually have a range of 270o, if you have an analog mixer you will know what I mean. Hopefully this link will help. I would definitely use encoders, you want to be able to make the thing sit in the rack next to your mq and so it would make sense to use the same kind of control. Do you know how many knobs you want yet?

For stuff like selecting oscillator waveforms, I'd just use a single button which scrolls through and enough LEDs to show which is selected. Take a look at the MBSID to see what I mean.

For most CCs you can just reduce the range of the sent values - this can either be done with Serge's Editor or (the method I prefer) with the mk_syx script

E.g., for the LFO1 Shape (CC15), you have to define the range 0..5

Only the "OSCx Octave" (CC#27, CC#35, CC#42) needs a special handling, since the CC goes from 0..127, but only the values 16, 28, 40, ... 112 are doing a change. For this you have to reduce the value range to 0..7, and the Meta handler has to send a CC based on this formula: 16 + (n*8 )

Best Regards, Thorsten.

For most CCs you can just reduce the range of the sent values - this can either be done with Serge's Editor or (the method I prefer) with the mk_syx script

E.g., for the LFO1 Shape (CC15), you have to define the range 0..5

Only the "OSCx Octave" (CC#27, CC#35, CC#42) needs a special handling, since the CC goes from 0..127, but only the values 16, 28, 40, ... 112 are doing a change. For this you have to reduce the value range to 0..7, and the Meta handler has to send a CC based on this formula: 16 + (n*8 )

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Awesome.  Thanks so much.

If I want to use a button for the OSC, do I just modify the script to say that each toggle represents so-and-so value?

• 5 years later...

I'm very interested to the solution.

I have the same problem for controlling the waveform selector in a minimax plug-in (plugiator)

Controller n° 79 (HEX VALUE 4F)

Permitted values: 0-22-44-66-88-110 or in hex value 00-16-2C-42-58-6E

Maybe it is possible to use a rotary switch connected to digital input of DIN.