Viscount Pedalboard

SounDuke

Hi everyone. I'm approaching the study of 30/32 notes pedalboard to play my favourite trio sonatas by Bach. Since I'd like to buy an high end pedalboard and midi pedalboard on the market are equipped with up to 25 notes, I contacted a Viscount representative who told me that the pedalboard have not matrices but single normally open contacts (one per key). I'd like to buy one and midify it with MBHP. Is it possible? In addition to this, could any expert enlight me about different standards (AGO, RCO ecc.) I was thinking to buy an AGO radiating concave one. Thanks 

Hello SounDuke

It looks from your number of posts that you have had a fair bit to do with MidiBox.  A CORE & 1x DIN will give MIDI to your planned keyboard.  AGO is, I believe, the most common specification of pedal board.  I can certainly say they are the best to play.

Once you have your pedals you could add some spice to your Bach with Miditzer http://www.virtualorgan.com/.  There is a lot of shared information on the Miditzer Forum about Midi Organ projects.

Once you get involved in this, I think you will find you might want pistons and expression pedals.

A good option to get a pedal board is to look on ebay and/or your local weekend news papers for old organs for sale cheep or even give away (I got mine {complete organ not working} as a give away but had to pay $100 for the stool).  You may need to get a complete organ and dump the parts you don't want.  Keep in mind you will need a suitable stool that needs to be the right height and be able to span the pedal board.  These can be hard to find and expensive if you try to find separately.

Another option is that you will likely find a local music shop with dozens of relics from the 70's & 80's or a repair technician with a shed full of old organs.

Hi,

Thanks greenfox, but I'd like to realize a more custom design without pistons and pedals.

I'm working together with a chapel organ builder who is helping me building the wood structure. I need to install on it reed switches and relative magnets, but I can't find cheap ones neither on ebay or on local stores. Any source?

Greetings, 'Duke and your Viscount

I can't seem to find all my research of folks who have created DIY pedals, but until I do, there is a rather thoroughly documented project you can check out at:

http://www.westnet.com/~levins/organ/practice.html

profusely illustrated with photos and how he created magnetic switches and all using PAVO. (You'll have to scroll down towards the end to get to the section about creating MIDI triggers on pedals.

Here's wishing you the best of success!

pk

Keep us posted on your progress, 'Duke

I'm not a duke or count or anything like that, but a simple subject of the King of Instruments, I guess more a Dude with a Conn than a Duke with a viscount, heh!

I soon will MIDIfy 2 pedalboards to plug into my current MidiBox organ retrofits:

(a) Conn 650 with 32 pedal clavier that is a working organ

(b) WurliTzer 950-TA with a 25-pedal clavier in a gutted shell

(BTW - there's a similar Wurli on eBay with photos that show what that console and pedal clavier looked like before it was disemboweled).

More immediately, I have 2 cores and half dozen DINs and DOUTS to solder and MIDIfy stoptab triggers.

By the time I'm ready to attack the pedal retrofit project, I should have the best plan ready to go (and know a thing or two more about MidiBox technology).

Inquirig minds want to know.

pk

• 3 weeks later...