Optimised PSU Success, But Possibly Broken my Core Board :-(

toneburst

Cheers tel3,

yeah, it's just some bits of clear heatshrink. It's a temporary measure until I get my crimp-pin housings so I can make up some proper wires.

what I didn't show in the pic is that the I had to solder each wire together in the middle- as I don't have a crimping tool, I took the wires from 2 C64 keyboard connectors and soldered them together. I doesn't look elegant, but hopefully it will work....

Here's the Core, SID, PSU and LCD screwed to a bit of old MDF I had kicking around:

MBSid_screwed.jpg

I'm currently trying to get MIOS studio working on one of my Macs so I can upload thr firmware.

Fingers crossed.....

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

That's cool man, whatever works!  ;)

It looks like you have the same LCD as me, a 20X2 negative red from Crystalfontz? I got that one because it looked in the picture like the characters were red on a blacked out background. But, when I actually hooked it up, it looked nothing like the pictures on their website! Needless to say I was a little disappointed. :(

-tel3

That's cool man, whatever works!  ;)

It looks like you have the same LCD as me, a 20X2 negative red from Crystalfontz? I got that one because it looked in the picture like the characters were red on a blacked out background. But, when I actually hooked it up, it looked nothing like the pictures on their website! Needless to say I was a little disappointed. :(

-tel3

me also!!! really annoyed about that one.

if you want something that looks like that picture, you'll need a negative green LCD, with a red filter in front of it. or wait till they make OLED screens in red. i'm gonna wait for the latter.

Yeah, That sucks man. Green with a red filter sounds cool though. Maybe I'll try that when I build my MIDIbox SEQ. I bought the same negative red LCD from them(Crystalfontz) in a 40X2 size for my MIDIbox FM also...  :(

-tel3

That should work, actually. I have this lighting gel test card I picked up years ago when it was being thrown out at work. My Novation XStation has a blue/white screen just like the one in your pic, and looks great with a variety of coloured gels in front of it. Mind you, none make the background much darker. Think maybe you'd some other sort of display to get a properly black background.The display on the Novation Nova is pretty cool-looking, but Idon't think it's actually an LCD. Think it's more likely it's a VFD or OLED/PLED display like

http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/CFAP2002M/index.html

Alex

yeah the nova has a vfd.

it's funny actually, i think the white lettering on blue background uses a white backlight. this means that some of the light coming through the blue background isn't blue, strangely. this is why you can see the back ground lit up through a red filter. try it with win XP default desktop: the blue taskbar goes black!

I'm a Mac man.... I steer clear of Windo$e.

Actually; that's not strictly true. I have got XP on my MacBook Pro, and it does come in handy every so-often.

Coloured gels are clearly The Future (pun absolutely intended). I must stop being distracted by shiny lights and pretty colours though, at least until I can get MIOS uploaded....

Alex

i couldn't see the negative red 40x2 you sure it's them that did it?

Yep, I'm sure! I sent them an e-mail asking if they have the 40X2 in any other colors than just the usual green/yellow(which was all they had on their website at the time) and the guy there told me they had one 40X2 in the negative red model that someone had "special ordered" 2 of and only bought one, Or something like that...So, I guess I got lucky!  ;D

-tel3

bucky lastard!

Thank You! I think? ;D

Seriously though, if you want something different than they offer on their site, just send them an e-mail and ask them. You never know, they might have what you want. That's what I did at least.

-tel3

There P&P to the UK is a bit on the high side though.

Correction. Their P&P to the UK is absurd. They wanted $58 shipping on a $30 display. Fortunately, I mentioned that on here and c0nsumer was nice enough to send me one of his surplus ones using the USPS rather than FedEx, which worked out a lot cheaper. Maybe one of the americans on the site here would be nice enough to do the same for you?

Well, I seem to have trashed my pink crystalfontz LCD now  :(

The backlight still works, but now it doesn't show anything. I still haven't managed to upload MIOS to my core, so I can't test it properly, but I think it's probably fried.

Anyway, it just occured to me- a few of us are looking for a red-on-black neg. display, and have been disappointed by the crystalfontz LCD. Have any one you ever looked at the display on Native Instruments' Kore hardware? The characters are indeed red, and the background, while not quite black, is pretty dark. Here's a not-particularly good photo I found

ni_kore_display.jpg

I'm pretty-sure it's an LCD of some description, rather than an OLED/PLED-type job, as it has a limited viewing angle, and also reverses (ie red becomes black and vice-versa) and certain angles, which is definitely a charactereistic of LCD displays.

I think it's what we've all been looking for.

I've emailed NI to see if anyone knows who makes them. It's a long-shot, but you never know...

Alex