Group buy for Aout components

dcer10

Hi,

As suggested by Moebius Im looking to start up a group buy for the shunt and the Max525 chips for the Aout boards. To begin with it looks like we will need 13 people wanting 2 525's each as a minimum. If people could express interest on this post and it looks like there will be at least that number of people with their money ready then we can take it further. Also I think it would make sense for whom ever will actually get the large order delivered to be situated somwhere with cheapish shipping for everyone {as best as we can arrange}. I am in Australia, which may not be the cheapest quickest place for shipping for others. I have noticed that shipping out of the USA seems a lot quicker and cheaper than shipping out of Europe, Germany in particular.

Can anyone offer comments on any of this, or commit to a buy should we get an order ready? From Moebius's  previous comments I think that your investment would be around $50 US in parts for the two chips and two shunts, but dont quote me on it, and the more people wanting to buy the cheaper it would get.

All the best,

John

Well,

The group buy idea was really suggested by someone called TK. Strangest things - like I've seen that nick before? (You can also see this in the AOUT parts list)

Just for a support, I'm in for 2 MAX525s and the reference chips.

The price breaks in maxim-ic's online shop aren't that good, really.

stryd_one: Basicly the ICs used in SHX8 are obsolete. SHX8_LC is an option, but nobody has realized it yet.

Moebius

• 9 months later...

saw this thread and this one for the aout pcb

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=4884.0

I understand these are old threads, but I would be very interested

in bringing them back to life if others will join in...

I realize the aout_ng is out soon, but I still want to build the

hi res aout for controlling osc freq, etc.

The AOUT_NG is 8x12bit (8 gates), AOUT is 8x12bit (2 gates), the AOUT_LC board will do 8&8 or 12&4

Still want the old module? ;)

I definitely will be building some aout_ng as well, it will be perfect for the sid, for example.

But as I understand it, aout_ng replaces the aout_lc, not aout v1.

also, any dout pin can be a gate, right?

this is from the aout_ng thread:

Hi Thorsten,

yes, I also noticed that this afternoon, and it gave me a bit of a headache. Actually, if my calculator doesn´t lie, +/-6 LSB is around 15 mV? if full scale is 10.67 V (1V/Oct) then 2 LSB is 5.2 mV and 6 LSB would be 15.6 mV. 1 Semitone is 83.4 mV, so 2 LSB is already more than 6 cents detune and 6 LSB is inacceptable!! Still an error of 6 LSB is even better than an 8 bit DAC... I wasn´t aware that CV is so receptible to tuning errors and you can´t get a single clean interval off an 8 bit CV system.

Even though the curve in the datasheet shows "only" INL of around +2/-1 LSB I´d still say this DAC would be noticeably inferior to the max525.

<snip>

Seppoman

I definitely need high-quality CV outputs for both 1V/oct and Hz/V.  I've procrastinated for a long time, so I think I'm going to wait for AOUT-NG, try it out, and even if it's not accurate enough, it will still make a great AOUT for everything except tuned oscillators.  Then I'd be interested in a group order on MAX525.

In the meantime, I have searched my limited sources for good deals, and it's DRY.  Still looking though...

Hi guys,

this thread is Ooold and was about the MAX525 Aout, so I´d rather not do a full detailed discussion of the pros and cons of different Aouts here. I´ll write an answer in the New AOUT thread.

I´m not sure how much more testing I can do with my limited equipment though.

Seppoman

• 5 weeks later...

Hey People, I'm just going to put this out there. I ordered samples of the 525 chip (X2) from Maxim. The online sample cart told me I could only order 1 but I hit submit anyways and it said I would need managers approval.  I did not hear anything back for about a week , but then the parts showed up. So it is possible to get two samples. I double checked with folks here and I did get the correct parts....

Just FYI

Lief

Don't forget the shunt lief :(

Oh Yeah, I failed to mention that, I ordered it up with my samples, but I am pretty sure I ordered the wrong part (this wouldnt be the first time, ask Jimp he knows ;)...) I got part # MAX6007BEUR+, ( I think the EUR+ is where i went wrong :)) unfortunatly it is sooo small it looks like it should be in a cell phone or maybe a spy cam or something. I will be trying again with the sample once I figure out a larger sized part to order.... (any feedback would be great folks)   

:)

Lief

I got part # MAX6007BEUR+, ( I think the EUR+ is where i went wrong :)) unfortunatly it is sooo small it looks like it should be in a cell phone or maybe a spy cam or something. I will be trying again with the sample once I figure out a larger sized part to order.... (any feedback would be great folks)   

err...

the website says

The MAX6006-MAX6009 ultra-low-power shunt references are ideal for space-critical and low-power applications. They are offered in 3-pin SOT23 packages,...

SOT23 being the magic number then perhaps I didnt get the wrong part then.. damn this is small... Am I missing something?

Lief

... I got part # MAX6007BEUR+, ...

size is fine, but

"The A grade features a temperature coefficient of 30ppm/°C over the extended temperature range of -40°C to +85°C, with an initial accuracy of 0.2%. Grade B features a temperature coefficient of 75ppm/°C with an initial accuracy of 0.5%."

so b is a bit less accurate.

prolly doesn't matter since we gots the trim pots...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...